New member "Oxblood" = KT88

"Driven by the desire to embrace substance and trust, which equates to the bassist holding down the bottom line."

"A perfect world scenario is a 4 stringer that is dedicated to the preservation and perpetuation of all that is bass."

Moderators: rockinrayduke, Jerry, hippiesandwich

New member "Oxblood" = KT88

Postby Oxblood » Sat May 09, 2009 4:19 am

Hi all,
Just a quick word to say that, owing to a glitch in my old "KT88" account that prevented me from logging in, I'm a born-again BABP-er! From now on, I'll be known around here as "Oxblood".

Cheers, [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Ken
Last edited by Oxblood on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oxblood

Re: New member "Oxblood" = KT88

Postby hmagman » Sat May 09, 2009 5:49 am

Welcome aboard Ken! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby GonzoBass » Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

Welcome back!
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat May 09, 2009 10:26 am

Welcome Back Ken! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Sat May 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Couldn't stay away, eh Ken? [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Fellow BABP'ers, this man knows his valves, er tubes. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] Good man over at finnbass, and good to have him here.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Oxblood » Tue May 12, 2009 2:35 am

Why thank y'all - good to be back! As it happens, I'm currently "en route" (as in soon to be in possession of enough spending-type cash) to obtain my first G+L (most probably a tribby - I ain't THAT rich), so be prepared for the usual crop of newbie owner/would-be owner questions (yawn)... [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]

The lust began last year, when I first tried out the gorgeous L-2000 that belongs to your friend and mine, RichardH. Loved the feel/balance/playability of it and of course the glorious punch you get from them thar pickups - like a dog just bit you in the ass - wonderful!

...all of which came as quite a surprise to me! Y'see, in all my bass-playing years, I've never really been a "Fender person". P-basses do nothing for me, and although I like the signature growl of a Jazz, in terms of playability they just don't seem to 'fit' my hands. Each to his own and all that.

Richard's L-2000 was a whole different animal, though. Completely blew me away. As I noodled around on it, I remember thinking "OK, now I get it. THIS was what Leo was aiming for..." [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Just recently I had the chance to try out a fellow finnbasser's L-2000 Tribby and was pleased to find that, while the body felt subjectively lighter than Richard's "proper" one, in all the important essentials, it told the same story.

So, as and when I do make my purchase, the chances are that it'll be an L-2000. However, I am rather curious about these here ASATs, so here comes my first question for those wot know: Telecaster-ish body style apart, are there any major/significant differences or features that mark these basses out from a model such as the L-2000? To my untutored gaze, the pups and electronics look basically the same. Do they sound/feel different, though?

All advice/opinion/rabid prejudice gladly received!

ADDED LATER:
I suppose that strictly speaking, most of this post belongs in the "G+L" section... [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]
Oxblood

Postby jshilgebass » Wed May 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Oxblood wrote:Why thank y'all - good to be back! As it happens, I'm currently "en route" (as in soon to be in possession of enough spending-type cash) to obtain my first G+L (most probably a tribby - I ain't THAT rich), so be prepared for the usual crop of newbie owner/would-be owner questions (yawn)... [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]

So, as and when I do make my purchase, the chances are that it'll be an L-2000. However, I am rather curious about these here ASATs, so here comes my first question for those wot know: Telecaster-ish body style apart, are there any major/significant differences or features that mark these basses out from a model such as the L-2000? To my untutored gaze, the pups and electronics look basically the same. Do they sound/feel different, though?

All advice/opinion/rabid prejudice gladly received!

ADDED LATER:
I suppose that strictly speaking, most of this post belongs in the "G+L" section... [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Well, if you REALLY must know... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

The ASATs have the same electronics as the L2000; the body style is basically the only difference between the two models. Some have said the body shape gives the ASAT a tendency to neck-dive, but I have played plenty of ASATs and never really noticed this.

You would do well to hie over to the G&L section of this fine forum and drink in the information contained therein, posted by others more versed in all things G&L than lowly ol' me. :hid:

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Oxblood » Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks, Joe. I'm already trawling the threads and boning up (ooerr matron). I found the one about the various vintages of pre-amp circuitry pretty enthralling.
Oxblood

Return to WELCOME