Hello from England!

"Driven by the desire to embrace substance and trust, which equates to the bassist holding down the bottom line."

"A perfect world scenario is a 4 stringer that is dedicated to the preservation and perpetuation of all that is bass."

Moderators: rockinrayduke, Jerry, hippiesandwich

Hello from England!

Postby silverfoxnik » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi Folks,

Just discovered this site today and it's great - got a really friendly vibe to it! Of the many bass forums I've seen this one has a really cool design and it definitely stands out from the crowd.

Anyway, what's brought me here is that I've been scouring the net, looking to find a Roscoe Beck Bass V string for a while now as they've been discontinued. Well - lo and behold, almost the very first post in the For Sale thread here on BABP is a for sale thread for a Roscoe Beck V, which is pretty amazing! There's definitely good karma here..

So, I just want to say hello from the south coast of England (where we have severe weather warnings right now) and that I'm looking forward to visiting BABP on a regular basis, hopefully learning a lot and enjoying the company.

Best wishes

Nik
So many basses, so little time...
silverfoxnik

Re: Hello from England!

Postby Mike Childree » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Welcome Nik! Good to have you with us! When you have a chance, tell us a little about yourself, your gear, music, etc.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby hippiesandwich » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Nice Wal in your avatar there mate. :)
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:11 pm

The more blokes the better! Welcome Nik [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby shamus63 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:42 am

I'm quite jealous...you get to gig in the U.K.!

Eh, but that's probably old hat to you...lucky bastard.

Welcome!

B)
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Postby Win Lowe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 am

Good to have you on board welcome [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]
For Free Gmail account, email me for an invite
Win Lowe

Postby GonzoBass » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:36 am

Welcome aboard, Nik!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby nig » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 am

yo nik, glad you got here at last ! this is definately the best bass forum on the planet. its a stress free forum with alot of great guys ready to help .[smilie=icon_cool.gif]
'Using yesterdays technology to create tommorrows problems today'

nig

Postby Shark » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:14 am

Hallo,

from another good ole Europe guy. As nig mentioned .. this is the place to be.

André
Shark

Postby Gil Escalera » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 am

Cheers Nik! I sold one of my all time favorite fretless basses to a gentleman in England, and I just finished sending an e-mail to Mr. John East of East-UK (he lives in Oxford). Welcome aboard.
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby GLJeff » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 pm

Welcome aboard.
GLJeff

Postby silverfoxnik » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:39 am

Mike Childree wrote:Welcome Nik! Good to have you with us! When you have a chance, tell us a little about yourself, your gear, music, etc.

Hi Folks and thanks for all the welcoming words!

Don't know about you all but my experience of the on-line bass community is that it's incredibly welcoming, knowledgable and helpful. I always say that I think bass players are a special bunch of people, but that's becuase I'm biased (obviously)! And the amount of times I think to myself, I wish that this sort of thing had existed when I first started playing in bands as a 16 year old kid in London in 1977!! What a help that would have been back then...

Nig - great to see you here by the way!!

Anyway, my background is that I started playing when I was 14, started a band in 1977 during the punk era and then played in lots of different bands (signed, unsigned etc) right through until 1995 when I went into Artist Management and stopped playing completely for 12 years.

Early influences in music were David Bowie, Alice Cooper and Roxy Music and Adam & The Ants when they were an underground punk band. Have to say that Alice's bassist Dennis Dunnaway is a very underrated bass player and writer in my opinion! A guy called Leigh Gorman played bass with Adam & The Ants for a while before forming a band called BowWowWow (who are still touring in the States) and it was Leigh who introduced me to Wal basses and I've had a Wal bass in my collection ever since 1983. I've had lots of them but have always returned to the early Pro models which I prefer to the Custom models. In fact, I sold my very early and collectable JG series Wal (with the leather scratchplate) to Leigh in 1998 when I was getting divorced - I had to sell it to raise money and the only person I wanted to have it was Leigh really as he's friend and great influence on my playing style. Like most of you I imagine, my style has evolved over the years and other big influences for me have been James Jamerson, Bernard Edwards, McCartney and Gail Ann Dorsey to name but a few..

These days, I'm playing again and loving it more than ever! Luckily for me, I joined a great band called BurningOrgan (http://www.burningorgan.com) that gigs about twice a week playing covers from Stax & Motown through to modern day stuff like The Killers, Orson and Coldplay and the variety of music we do allows me to play bass in lots of different styles that I really enjoy doing.

Currently my main gigging bas is a MM Sub5 that's been heavily mojo'd to look like an early natural Stingray and it has a specially designed John East circuit that emulates that early Stingray 2 band e.q. sound. Back up 5 is a Yamaha BB615 and I use my Wal Pro2e for songs that don't need a 5 string. I also own a great early 80's BC Rich Eagle with fabulous Dimarzios but don't get to use it that much unfortunately. There's also a P Bass copy with Kent Armstrong p/ups, a J Bass copy and my old Hondo Ricky copy that was my first ever gigging bass, lurking around too!

My rig is a Hartke HA3500 A driving a Hughes & Kettner 600w 4x10, though sometimes I use a GK 2x10 that I acquired courtesy of Nig (still sounding good by the way Nig)! I use a Trace Elliott SMX dual band compressor and a Zoom B2 1.u and whist I really like the Zoom, I've just bought a DBX MC 6 compressor which I've heard great things about, so the Trace will probably be sold soon. When I get some time, I'll post some pictures if anyone's interested.

Sorry for such a long post - my wife says I can waffle on for England......As I say, it's great to be here and I look forward to learning more about you all and more about that wonderful thing called Bass!!

Nik
silverfoxnik

Postby Golem » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 am

Welcome. Did you snag that RBV?

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby silverfoxnik » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:19 am

Golem wrote:Welcome. Did you snag that RBV?

Thanks ! Not nagged it as yet but I'm hopeful :)
silverfoxnik

Postby bluesky » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:40 am

silverfoxnik wrote:
Golem wrote:Welcome. Did you snag that RBV?

Thanks ! Not nagged it as yet but I'm hopeful :)

We've already chatted, great to see you aboard. I haven't forgetten about the RBV, I'll be in touch.
bluesky

Next

Return to WELCOME