Genz Benz Streamliner 900

Rig talk.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, treebark55

Re: Genz Benz Streamliner 900

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:30 pm

I have the Streamline 600 since I typically work on small venues/stages and have p.a. support. I can echo everything everyone else has said.

• Haven't used any other head in I don't know how long
• Run it thru my Acme Low B Series II 4x10, Eden D210XLT, Genz Benz LS 112T
• Indoors, outdoors, low temps, high temps, low humidity, high humidity

Really wish Jeff could've saved Genz Benz from the chopping block (a.k.a. FMIC acquisition). G-B stuff KILLS! Heck, I even have a NEOX 212T coming tomorrow.

Thank you, good luck and happy landings Jeff Genzler.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 am

bigfatbass wrote:Whatever the big picture is, I hope Jeff et al's huge contributions to bass amp technology get resurrected and put back on the market again, and not just as some shitty Fender knock offs. Genz-Benz and MarkBass changed the rulebook before they were eaten by the giants.

Agree totally... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby FatherGino » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:53 am

I finally got a second back-up amp just in case my STM 900 blows up for no apparent reason. I went with the Aguilar TH 350. No effects loop, aux input, headphone out and only one speakon output. About the size of a cigar box but not as heavy. I've taken it out into the real world like 4 times now and gotten more aware of how to set it. It's different than the Benz; not quite as warm and more articulate. But it's very good IMHO. The controls are intuitive and powerful. You can warm it up nicely between the drive, gain and master controls and the sweepable mids are a plus. Unlike the Benz, all of the tone controls are active (I think) so it's a different set up, i.e. put everything @ noon and go from there.

I'm using it with two Aggie SL 112s and it's plenty loud enough. I have no way to back this up but I suspect the TH350 is equal to the STM 600 power wise and ditto for the TH 500 compared to the STM 900. Couldn't say whether I like one better than the other at this point, either unit is great and a joy to pack up at the end of the night. I definitely do not miss 40 lbs worth of F1X/power amp, rack case. The 25 lb cabinets are pretty cool too. BTW, if you ever want to buy any Aguilar stuff, I highly recommend Texas Guitar Ranch through E-Bay. Free shipping, same price as everyone else but they throw in real Aguilar cases/covers for free. I would have been too much of a cheapskate to buy the covers for these cabs but I'm glad I have them.

There's an Aguilar demo video for this amp on YouTube that I found rather amusing. It features Wooten's bass player playing through this little Aggie mini stack. "I love this rig, sounds great!" he says. Mr. Aguialr asks: "So can you tell us how you use the fantastic tone shaping controls in your playing?" The amp is set completely flat with the drive control off. "Well, when I'm going to solo, maybe I boost the mids up a little to cut through more", then he proceeds to boost the mids with the controls on his (active) bass. Poor Mr. Aguialr!!
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby Jerry » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:14 pm

I had an Aguilar AG500 paired with an old Hartke cab for the backline of a fly date I did Friday, I wasn't hating it. The old David Lindley song 'Your Old Lady' come to mind when I look at other peoples gear. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby hmagman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:08 am

Used my Streamliner 900 last Tuesday for a club gig... never disappoints. Great amp! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby MickeyOne » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Late to the party.

I just bought one used and it came with mileage.

When turned on and warmed up, it is still very noisy.

Sometimes the noise goes away-and it sounds fantastic, all the praise from you guys is absolutely right on the money.

Sometimes it stays noisy.

I will probably return it, but just asking:
Do you think it is a tube that needs replacement?
Has anyone had these issues?
How expensive is it to replace a tube?
Is there one of three that is the most likely culprit?

Any advice is appreciated.
MickeyOne

Postby noahvale » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Yes, it is most likely a microphonic tube. I just replaced the tubes in mine. Only one was bad, but I replaced them all while the cover was off. Instant silence.
I sell and highly recommend JJ Electronics tubes: http://bayoucables.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=128
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby harleyyy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 pm

I believe our admin here,Butch from Bayou cable sells JJ tUbes?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby MickeyOne » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 am

Not the tube, sending it back and considering the new Genzler Magellan 800.

Has anybody had the Magellan experience?

Does anyone have any opinions as to how it compares to the Streamliner 900?
MickeyOne

Postby Jerry » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm pretty sure the same guy the designed the Streamliner also did the Mesa Subway 800, if you can check one of them out too. I've dug mine.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby noahvale » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:31 am

The Genzler is all solid state, not that that is a bad thing. Check out the Bass Whisperer review on youtube. Ed likes it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby hmagman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:42 am

Jerry wrote:I'm pretty sure the same guy the designed the Streamliner also did the Mesa Subway 800, if you can check one of them out too. I've dug mine.

Agree, same designer as the Mesa Boogie Subway 800... btw is now my first call amp. Check it out.
Harry
hmagman

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Got another. VERY HAPPY with this amp. Thanks to all who testified.
MickeyOne

Previous

Return to AMPLIFICATION