New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Rig talk.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, treebark55

New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby aussiemark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I scored this for a bargain price locally on eBay last week, and took it to rehearsal last night with my power trio. I recently owned an Ampeg V4BH but found that it struggled up against the hard hitting drummer in this trio, and up against 2 guitars, sax and keyboards in the Stones tribute.

The Traynor, on the other hand, seems to have plenty of oomph up it's sleeve, at 200 watts of all tube tone. And, it weighs in at just 42lbs, with a slightly smaller footprint than a SVT. In a very loud rehearsal room last night I had the gain on 5 and the master on 6, so there was plenty in reserve. In the same scenario the V4BH would run out of steam and not cut through.

The Traynor has a few bells and whistles that I don't care for - "resonance", "scoop" and "presence" controls - so I just have all of those switched off, and with the EQ flat this baby very much mimics the Ampeg tone. Power comes from 4 x 6550 tubes.

Image
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby El Tookay » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am

I've road-tested a few of these, and i think they are a total sleeper. There's a local cat who upgraded the tubes from stock to Winged C's in the power end and JJ's in the front. Killer tube goodness, and after hearing that, why would anyone want to blow their wallet out for an Orange AD200. Oh, and an El Toro through one of these is super snarly!

Traynor builds good gear, but get less respect than SWR does these days....shame, really.
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
User avatar
El Tookay
 
Location: Vancouver

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby 57RIP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am

I've had two of these. I found my best tone with them using a Sans Amp ParaDriver into the effects return or was it power amp in ?) I forget but basically it was bypassing the front end...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
User avatar
57RIP
 
Location: PAC NW

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby aussiemark » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:11 pm

I like this so much I've just ordered a new YBA-300 - 300 watts, 50lbs, half the price of an SVT.
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby 57RIP » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Staying tuned for a report. The 200 just did not have enough clean headroom for me. Concept is fine though... Hope the 300 does the deed for you!
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
User avatar
57RIP
 
Location: PAC NW

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby aussiemark » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 pm

57RIP wrote:The 200 just did not have enough clean headroom for me.


I swapped out the 12AX7 preamp tube for a lower gain 12AT7 tube for more clean headroom. After doing that, the YBA-200 now has a lot more volume than my V4BH ever did
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby harleyyy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:11 pm

aussiemark wrote:
57RIP wrote:The 200 just did not have enough clean headroom for me.


I swapped out the 12AX7 preamp tube for a lower gain 12AT7 tube for more clean headroom. After doing that, the YBA-200 now has a lot more volume than my V4BH ever did


I didn't know it was possible to get noticeable headroom from a preamp tube. [smilie=coz.gif]

I thought major mods are needed to achieve louder and clean tones, otherwise you'll still overdrive any preamp tube and get gritty... again, I thought.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
Image
User avatar
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum
 
Location: Bad Ass, Ca
Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby aussiemark » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 pm

harleyyy wrote:
aussiemark wrote:
57RIP wrote:The 200 just did not have enough clean headroom for me.


I swapped out the 12AX7 preamp tube for a lower gain 12AT7 tube for more clean headroom. After doing that, the YBA-200 now has a lot more volume than my V4BH ever did


I didn't know it was possible to get noticeable headroom from a preamp tube. [smilie=coz.gif]

I thought major mods are needed to achieve louder and clean tones, otherwise you'll still overdrive any preamp tube and get gritty... again, I thought.


Pete, the Traynor has 3 preamp tubes, the swap I did was in V2 - which I think off the top of my head is the second gain stage of the preamp. This "mod" is well documented and discussed in several threads at Talk Bass as a way to get more clean headroom out of the YBA-200. And I can confirm that it works :-)

The way it works, as I understand it, is that the stock 12AX7 is a pretty high gain tube, so it gets dirty pretty easily when the amp is cranked. By replacing it with the lower gain 12AT7 or even a 12AU7 the amp will run louder before any overdrive creeps into the tone. I'm no expert on what makes tube amps tick, but as an "end user" LOL I can vouch for this simple swap doing the job.
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney

Re: New amp day - Traynor YBA-200

Postby harleyyy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 pm

aussiemark wrote:
Pete, the Traynor has 3 preamp tubes, the swap I did was in V2 - which I think off the top of my head is the second gain stage of the preamp. This "mod" is well documented and discussed in several threads at Talk Bass as a way to get more clean headroom out of the YBA-200. And I can confirm that it works :-)

The way it works, as I understand it, is that the stock 12AX7 is a pretty high gain tube, so it gets dirty pretty easily when the amp is cranked. By replacing it with the lower gain 12AT7 or even a 12AU7 the amp will run louder before any overdrive creeps into the tone. I'm no expert on what makes tube amps tick, but as an "end user" LOL I can vouch for this simple swap doing the job.



Awesome! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
Image
User avatar
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum
 
Location: Bad Ass, Ca
Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com


Return to AMPLIFICATION

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests