What

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, GonzoBass

What’s in your Bass library? (books, DVDs, etc.)

Postby Rich M » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:46 pm

List your Bass related reading/viewing materials (Instructional or Entertainment; DVDs, VHS tapes, Books, Instructional Materials, Magazine collections, etc.):

I’ll go first.

DVDs:
Carol Kaye: Bass DVD Course (w/book)
Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Instructional Materials:
Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition (2nd Ed.) by Ed Friedland
Reggae Bass by Ed Friedland
Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland
The Working Bassist’s Tool Kit by Ed Friedland
Rock – Funk Bass by Carol Kaye
Basix Bass Method by Ron Manus and Morty Manus
The Ultimate Beginner Series: Bass Basics I & II by Dale Titus and Albert Nigro
Electric Bass Guitar, ed. by Andy Doerschuk (various authors)
Mel Bay’s Deluxe Jazz & Rock Bass Method by Vincent Bredice
Teach Yourself Rock Bass by David Gross
Essential Bass Technique by Peter Murray
101 Bass Tips: Stuff All the Pros Know and Use by Gary Willis
Serious Electric Bass by Joel Di Bartolo
The Bass Player Book, ed. by Karl Coryat

Books/Music/Tab:
The Funkmasters: The Great James Brown Rhythm Sections (1960-1973) by Allan “Dr. Licks” Slutsky and Chuck Silverman
Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson by Dr. Licks
Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley
How the Fender Bass Changed the World by Jim Roberts
American Basses: An Illustrated History & Player’s Guide by Jim Roberts
The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History by J.W. Black and Albert Molinaro
The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2005 by Alan Greenwood & Gil Hembree
The History of the American Guitar: From 1833 to the Present Day by Tony Bacon
Led Zeppelin I & II, Authentic Bass-Tab Edition, Arr. by Josquin Des Pres
Bob Marley Bass Collection, Transcriptions by Chris Kringel
What Duck Done by Tim Tandall
Bass Tab White Pages

Magazines:
Guitar World’s Bass Guitar (Summer 2003-present)
Bass Player (July 2003-present)
Misc. copies of Total Guitar, Bassics, Bass Guitar (U.K.)

Next on my wish list: Clatter DVD, Ed Friedland's new Hal Leonard Blues Bass Method

I’ve built up this collection over the past couple years, but I’ve actually only read a few of these so far.

So, what’s on your bookshelf?
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby PrestiaFan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:49 am

BOOKS

1. Standing In The Shadows Of Motown
2. The Funkmasters: The Great James Brown Rhythm Sections (1960-1973)
3. Complete Steely Dan
4. Real Book 2
5. Brecker Brothers Transcriptions
6. Randy Brecker Transcriptions
7. Chuck Rainey's Bass Instruction Books ( 6 volumes)
8. Bass Heroes (published by Guitar Player Magazine)

VIDEOS

1. Bass Day 98: Francis Rocco Prestia
2. Fingerstyle Funk video + booklet: Francis Rocco Prestia
3. Alex Sklarevski's Slap Bass Method video + book
4. Rock Bass Vol 2: Tim Bogert
"One thing that I've found, I'll still be diggin' on James Brown": Tower Of Power
PrestiaFan

Books and Reviews from the Tard's POV (Updated 12/4/06)

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon May 15, 2006 7:33 am

Will periodically update this as I work my way through books and vids and will occasionally add new stuff. Will try and highlight the updates so y'all don't need to re-read the whole thing.

BOOKS:
Building Rock Bass Lines by Ed Friedland
This is a good book to start with. I think the concept of approach notes and the approaches themselves are explained a little more clearly than in the walking bass lines book. This really has helped me in developing some new bass line ideas and I still go back to this book occasionally to review some of the ideas for applicability to new songs.

Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland
Another good book. Probably not my first choice unless you are wanting to get right into jazz stuff. Finished this one a while back. Will probably end up reviewing the entire book once or twice a year just to keep all the concepts fresh. All the different approaches as well as the dozen or so standards in the back of the book are enough to keep me busy for years.

Blues Bass by Ed Friedland
I really like this book. Ed’s passion for the blues shows up in his writing here. Lots of useful info. In retrospect, could probably use a few more pages of the different kinds of blues grooves, but the section on styles, intros, hits was invaluable as well as the section on blues standards. Would like to see a Blues part II book from Ed.

R&B Bass Masters by Ed Friedland
Just finished this book. Not really a "how to" book which is what I was hoping for. However, a great history book and overview of R&B bass pioneers. Picked up a few tidbits here and there, but certainly not enough information for me to go out and cop Jerry Jemmott's or Willie Weeks' style. But a pretty good overview and it did hip me to some cats I hadn't heard before. BTW, Bob Babbitt is a glaring omission from this book but it's Ed's book not mine. Anyway, good one to have for your collection along with Standing in the Shadows.

Bass Grooves by Ed Friedland
UPDATE - Just completed this one. Along with building rock bass lines or building walking bass lines, this is the most useful book I've come across in a while. There's some good advice for programming drum machines in there as well. The drum programming and the groove practicing were invaluable to me. My feel has improved a TON just in working through this book. Very well worth the money IMO. Note: This book deals mainly with the rhythmic aspects of various genres and less with melodic/harmonic aspects such as note choice.

The Bass Player Book, ed. by Karl Coryat
Have been through this a couple times. Good all around overview on the instrument, the players, and has some useful instructional stuff, but the instructional stuff it disjointed IMO, i.e. one lesson doesn’t necessarily build on another. Good book, but tries too hard to be all things to all people and ends up being mediocre in all categories. This is a good book to come back to every several months just to see how my playing has come along. Not a great total learning book, but some of the stuff in there was useful.

The Funkmasters: The Great James Brown Rhythm Sections (1960-1973) by Allan “Dr. Licks” Slutsky and Chuck Silverman
A compendium of the author's favorite JB grooves, some good history on JB and various incarnations of his band. Pretty good book and has some killer examples of serious fatback drumming. Gave me a pretty good overview of early funk and some decent ideas to carry forward. Specifically by learning the grooves I realized that I tend to over play a lot which is why so much of my playing is decidedly un-funky. So a good book for all levels and would be really good to loan to your drummer/r. gtr so he has an idea of how the different parts of the rhythm section work together. I got almost as much out of reading the master staff which shows the bass part right above the drum clef so I could see how the bass, kick, and snare work together as anything else in this book. Through this book, I've internalized a lot of funkiness that is starting to show up more in my playing.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson by Dr. Licks
Wow!! Loved this book. Loved the movie too. Haven’t spent any time learning the stuff in the back, but will get to it one of these days. I struggle trying to read some of the more complicated parts. I could probably try and learn the parts by ear and I'd probably learn 'em faster, but this is a good workout for my reading skills.

Melodic Structures by Jerry Bergonzi - I haven't started this one yet. It was recommended to me by Mel Brown. Mel's website. Will report later. Suposedly good book on how to develop your soloing style. Since I can't blow for squat right now, I suppose ANYTHING will be an improvement.

VIDEOS:
Grooving for Heaven Vols. 1 and 2 by Norm Stockton
Good stuff for beginners/low intermediates. The section on bass idioms is especially good. Some good ideas in there.

Grooving for Heaven Vols. 3 and 4 by Norm Stockton
Vol. 3 picks up where 1 and 2 leave off and really highlights the relationship between the drummer and bassist. Also has some examples of what happens when things go haywire between the rhthm section and the guitard. Borrowed this one again, this time with a book of transcriptions. Reading the drum clef and analyzing placement of the bass notes against placement of the kick, snare, and hi-hat has been a real eye-opener. If you get this, get the book as well.

Vol. 4 is all about slapping and tapping and false harmonics and stuff like that. Haven't spent serious time practicing with it yet but have viewed it once. There's a lot of stuff in this one for me to work on. Most of the slap stuff is pretty advanced too, like double thumbing and stuff like that. Some good technique advice and commentary on what is tasteful, but really not enough information on how to incorporate this stuff into my playing. Kind of an overview and some technique drills and examples. I s'pose I'll need some teachin in this area.

Slap Bass DVD by Ed Friedland
This is a good video. I don’t use the techniques for slap that Ed demonstrates because it’s not what my instructor (who espouses economy of motion) has taught me. I’m about halfway through this and it’s kind of weird for me because Ed teaches the stuff in a different order than I’m learning it. Not bad, mind you, just different. There are some NASTY funk grooves in the first few lessons and it’s very gratifying to be able to play something that cool with only a bare minimum of slap skills. This video is a nice complement to what I've learned elsewhere on slap. This will not make you the next Wooten, but it will get your slap skills up to the intermediate level and definitely where they should be for MOST gigs.
Last edited by Cheap Bass Tard on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby oogie boogie » Mon May 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Standing in the Shadows

The Ray Brown Bass Method

The Keyboard Grimoire

The Guitar Grimoire Vol. 1

Every fake book I can find.

Charts from friends and teachers.

The Guitar Player's Handbook (can't recommend this enough for the technical info and background, especially for beginners, but even old dogs learn new stuff)
oogie boogie

Postby jim » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:09 am

"Chord Studies for (insert instrument here)" - Berklee press

"101 Bass Tips" -Willis

"Fingerboard Harmony for Bass" -Willis

"Ultimate Ear Training" -Wiliis

"Progressive Bassics" (video) -Willis

Two of the Chuck Raney series

Three from Steve Bailey (Rock bass, Adv rock bass, 5 string bass)

"Modern Harmonic Technique" vols 1 and 2 -Gordon Delamont

(note, the Delamonts are the definitive place I got my harmony background)

"Modern Arranging Technique" - Delamont

(another arranging book, will edit this post when I find it)

"Jazzmaster Cookbook" -James Grantham

(note, this and willis' fingerboard harmony book mesh very well, given they are both methods based on tonal center)
jim

Postby GonzoBass » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:44 am

DVDs-
Marcus Miller Live (Ohne Filter)
Sting's Bring on the Night
Stevie Ray Vaughn Live (Austin City Limits)

It's hard to describe "it", but Stevie definitley had it.
I like watching this one before a gig to get me fired up.

Books-
The Guitar Handbook (indespensible)
Simandl Method
Jonas Hellborg's chord book
all my theory and chart books from college
and I still have my dog eared Complete Iron Maiden book from the good old days.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 am

Giving this one a bump for the Tard's updates on books/videos.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Armybass » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:02 am

A great book for electric and URB is Chuck Sher's "Improvising Bass Method". I have had it for years and use it for teaching as well.
Armybass

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:26 am

:bump:
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Standing in the Shadow of Motown-I like to read it, personally LOVE dissecting Jamerson's warm up excersize on page 90 something. Also, just seeing the chords and the notes he chose to play on some of these great tunes! The accompaning cd is awesome as well.

The Real Cuban Bass
http://www.amazon.com/True-Cuban-Bass-V ... 614&sr=1-1

Afro Cuban Bass Grooves
http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Cuban-Bass-G ... 755&sr=1-2

Funk Bass (Bass Builder Series)
http://www.amazon.com/Funk-Bass-Builder ... 348&sr=1-2

Bach Cello Suites (Couldn't find it on Amazon. I'll repost by whom/publisher and all)

Baroque Bass Lines for Double Bass (Ditto on Amazon)

My old Teacher Stephen Doherty co-wrote a book about Bass Soloing. Again, I'll repost when I remember to pull it out. Get the title, publisher and all.

I have a ton of beginner books that I keep around for new students but these are the one's I keep picking up at various times to work on things (Reading, rhytmic study, inspiration, groove ideas...etc)
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby celtobass » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:21 pm

How Leo Fender and I made G&L Guitars - George Fullerton

Searching For the Sound - Phil Lesh
celtobass

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Wed May 23, 2007 11:15 am

:bump:

Tard updates on 2 books and a video.

James Brown Rhythm Sections
R&B Bass Masters - The Way They Play

Pondering Bass Technique DVD
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: What’s in your Bass library? (books, DVDs, etc.)

Postby groovyw53 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:08 am

Books:

-Dante Agostini Rhythmic Solfeggio "Single Time" and "Compound Time"
kinda drums books, need hard work and after a while they get a little boring(only rhythm patterns) but IMO very useful for reading and playing

-"Harmony and Theory" by Carl Schroeder and Keith Wyatt (Musicians Institute)

-"The Art of Walking Bass" by Bob Magnusson (Musicians Institute)

-"Rock Bass Lines" by Joe Santerre (Berklee Press)

-"Slap Bass Lines" by Joe Santerre (Berklee Press)

DVDs

-Marcus Miller Live (ohne filter)
-Victor Wooten Live at BassDay 98

Transcriptions
RHCP "Californication" and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" (Hal Leonard Press)
a couple of Miles and Coltrane fake books
various transcriptions my teacher gave me( Rocco Prestia, some Pastorius, SRV, Hendrix and other rock stuff)

Magazines

BassPlayer : i'm not subscribed i only buy like 7 or 8 a year
Last edited by groovyw53 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Going to the jungle where the elephant roams
Got to get away gonna make it my home"
groovyw53

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:43 am

Bump for another Tard book update. This time the groove book by Friedland.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby fdmundo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Charles Mingus, More than a Fake Book
The Real Book (Bass clef) Vols 1-3
The New Real Book Vols 1-3
========================================================
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
========================================================
fdmundo

Next

Return to CHARTS & THEORY