What to do?

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, nolabass, harleyyy

What to do?

Postby Shakey Slim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:58 pm

I've. been a gigging musician in my area for 20 years, and I've come to the conclusion that this town is in a musical rut. I've been on a break from the scene for the last 6 months trying to find something that peaks my interest, but no luck. It's a choice between 20somethings grind metal or old fat bluesmen playing to old fat bikers.

The jazz scene is nonexistent, and the country scene isn't going anywhere (joined a country group with great potential, but it fell apart when the lead guitar quit). I've pretty much played with everyone in the area and they're either doing the same old or have given up.

What would you do to keep from going nuts? There doesn't seem to be a market for a 50ish bassist anymore. Solo 6 string bass in coffee houses? Work on the upright? Learn guitar?

This is an official cry for help [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Shakey Slim

Re: What to do?

Postby oneluckyguy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Anything in the say Coeur d'Alene, ID area? Spokane kind of isolated looks like. 90 minutes in any direction?

Don't care what anyone says, getting old sucketh.

Learn something different like flute. Keyboard. Any foreign music like Greek, Indian things? Study bouzouki.
"The validity of online quotes should always be questioned" - Abraham Lincoln
oneluckyguy

Links: www.zuperchicken.com

Postby Shakey Slim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Cd'A is even worse. Most musicians who live there come to Spokane to find bands, and what's left are the young-uns playing their music . Cd'A is the backwater of Spokane.

I have an NS Wav upright I've been working on. Also been focusing on guitar and exploring Bach on the 6 string bass. But I'm really missing live playing.

BTW, I'm. also a member if Local 105 and they're not much help.
Shakey Slim

Postby oneluckyguy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Shoot [smilie=coz.gif]

Do you write your own stuff? Keyboard/guitar/etc and start to study classical music? I'm just barfing ideas on the keyboard. However, if it's to keep from losing your mind then if there is a local community college etc with a music department that has some programs you could pop in to learning a different instrument?

Move to New Orleans o0 filled with playing old farts [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
"The validity of online quotes should always be questioned" - Abraham Lincoln
oneluckyguy

Links: www.zuperchicken.com

Postby Shakey Slim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 am

After re-reading my post, it may come of as a little sour grapes.

So...

How would you go about reinventing yourself as a musician? Would you woodshed harder on the bass? Pick up a new instrument? Learn a new style of music? Relocate?

I'm opting for the new instrument/style route. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Shakey Slim

Postby Jerry » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:00 am

Maybe some recording equipment and write some music you might have been putting off.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:14 pm

I say look inward. You will tell yourself what you need.

Now actually doing it is another thing altogether lol [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby steveonbass » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 am

I am in a similar rut. I live in Boston - a live music mecca. I had a gig so cool (that band moved to Austin) that i am bored with every opportunity that has come my way.

I don't want to play a folk/songwriter/americana gig and the age factor makes a lot of other opportunities strange.

I do find that i get better when i take some time off but i miss performing a lot.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 am

I'm working on remote recording with colleagues. Mostly using ProLogic. Fun to lay down ruff parts and get it fleshed out with good players. The choice of musicians is vast this way as well.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am

Shakey Slim wrote:After re-reading my post, it may come of as a little sour grapes.

So...

How would you go about reinventing yourself as a musician? Would you woodshed harder on the bass? Pick up a new instrument? Learn a new style of music? Relocate?

I'm opting for the new instrument/style route. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Learning a new instrument is fun. And musically rewarding.

Me personally, I bought an upright a few years ago. I suck at it. BUT I make some money with a very nice pianist doing cocktail hour-ish jazz. Some of the gigs pay darn well, too. AND I have a blast playing in a local community orchestra. It's a freebie, but very rewarding. And for me, a huge musical departure/challenge from what I usually do.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby MickeyOne » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Church.
Here in Tucson there are a thousand bands and 10 places to play.
Playing Born to Be Wild at 55 is a bit ridiculous too.
I find the positive music at my church gig much more rewarding than classic rock these days.
MickeyOne

Postby Golem » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 am

`

Watercolors of people's pets done from snapshots ?

Beekeeping ?

Restoring rare stamps ?

I was between stuff basswise and without a plan,
but on a whim I bought a 22" frame drum to play
at open sessions, circles, etc. For a while we had
a working Latin percussion ensemble with electric
bass and trumpet. The trumpet has since moved
to Puerto Rico, but it got me thru what would've
otherwise been toadall downtime. Some useful
connections have endured. And I still play bass
for informal Latin percussion gatherings with
some of the old crew and some replacements.

Guess I'm just saying think way outside the box,
and just see what happens. Even if you don't get
miracles, you might get some lessening of that
feeling of despair.

P.S. Forget the watercolors thing. There's apps
for phone cameras that do that :-(

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG