RIP Riley B King

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, nolabass, harleyyy

RIP Riley B King

Postby 57RIP » Fri May 15, 2015 6:40 am

I hear a lot of folks saying it's sad. I personally am on the celebration of life side of this. The guy lived a long life, made his living by played music for most of it. Can you imagine the number of amazing moments that man had on stage with some of the best blues guys ever?

No, not sad. Celebrate his amazing life!

I'll have Let the a Good Times Roll in my rotation at work today. My fav BB recording of all.

Fly on Mr King.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: RIP Riley B King

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri May 15, 2015 4:35 pm

I hear ya man. I sat on my front porch sippin' a few fingers of scotch whisky and enjoying my pipe while listening to some of his tunes spinning on my turn table. It was raining. Great celebration to his amazing and long life. Fly on BB! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby MickeyOne » Fri May 15, 2015 6:29 pm

I played Thrill is Gone with BB. Love the bass line, the song, the man. I saw him a bunch of times and he always killed until recently.

He may be gone, but his music will live forever.
MickeyOne

Postby FatherGino » Sun May 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Have to agree with the first post. He had a long run and did pretty much what he wanted on his own terms for half a century or so. He wanted to be the best known blues player and the world and he was. How much better can one do in life?

RIP
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby ghiadub » Sun May 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Indeed. What a legacy.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon May 18, 2015 4:18 am

FatherGino wrote:Have to agree with the first post. He had a long run and did pretty much what he wanted on his own terms for half a century or so. He wanted to be the best known blues player and the world and he was. How much better can one do in life?

RIP

Have to agree. But it still stings.

His voice is a work of art.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Mon May 18, 2015 10:14 am

I first saw B.B. when I was fifteen and he was about forty-four, I remember thinking how cool it was for such an "old" man to be killing it playing music. There are some cats that are around at the beginning of our musical journey and inspire us the whole way, B.B. is one of those cats. Now I'm sixty and still draw inspiration from him. More and more of people I admired my whole musical life are leaving us, but I take solace in living in a time when so many greats were drawing breath at the same time I was alive.
Fly on B.B.........................................................
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG