Why did God make the lower back??

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, nolabass, harleyyy

Why did God make the lower back??

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:11 am

I mean, seriously. Lower backs a are real PITA. Pun intended.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Why did God make the lower back??

Postby aussiemark » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:40 pm

He did make core muscles as well, to take the load instead of the spine doing the work

sent from my T-34/76 via Tapatalk
aussiemark

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:51 am

aussiemark wrote:He did make core muscles as well, to take the load instead of the spine doing the work

That's covered. Core muscles, upper body muscles, leg muscles, stretching, inversion tables, chiropractors...All done religiously. Not to be bragging, but I'm 50 next year and have the body of a 25 year old. A 25 year old in great shape, mind you. But still, every 12 months or so I turn into a freakin' pretzel. Lots of people are far worse off with their backs, but it's still a royal PITA. Literally. Pun intended.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby aussiemark » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm 54 in a couple of months and am in pretty good nick too. Luckily I've never had a single back problem, and put it down to core strength. That said, I've been fighting the flu for the past 2 weeks and haven't been to the gym once and have lost 12 lbs, so I'll ease back into the deadlifts carefully once I kick this flu

aussiemark

Postby GonzoBass » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:55 am

Due to a series of car wrecks
(three in the summer of 1986)
I've had my share of back trouble
and seen my share of doc's advice in turn;
chiropractic, ultrasound, massage, electrostimulation, myotherapy (accupressure),
accupuncture and disc fusion (both of which I passed on)
but found my best relief came with a combo of yoga (daily stretching)
and core muscle strength, especially the lower abs.

Proper lifting also helps,
with credit to neo speakers and digital power.
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby JimFishIII » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:32 am

I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back that rear their ugly head maybe once a year - other than that they stay quiet and I hope it stays that way. As for core strength....my core is expanding so it must be getting stronger right? [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
JimFishIII

Postby 57RIP » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 pm

At 60 (.5 if we're gettin' picky)... I found what is for me the perfect lower back regimen. Start a sound company and take up stand up paddle boarding. My back hasn't been this strong in a long time... SUP is a fabulous low intensity work out, not to mention it's a really nice way to be on the water...

The first year of sound company was hell... Then I got the proper lifting techniques going again... For me it is keeping my hams stretched.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Jerry » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:24 am

Proper lifting techniques would require decent knees, that ship sailed on me a while ago. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:02 am

Jerry wrote:Proper lifting techniques would require decent knees, that ship sailed on me a while ago. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Damn, dude. You're a mess!! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I stretch. I workout. Core exercises. Inversion table. Etc, etc.

I do run a lot. Though, in general, my back feels better the more I run. In general. I think there will come a day when I'll have to cut back on the mileage and/or intensity of my runs.

My lifting techniques cold use some work. And I'm going to talk to a physical trainer I know about some more/different back strength exercises.

A most disturbing reality is playing bass hurts the ol' back the most. Probably a combination of being fairly still (physically) while I play and having a 9+ lb weight over my shoulder for extended periods of time. It's this thought that really bums me out. Oh well.....Time for some more core work!!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:47 am

Bruce, running beats the tar out of your body... Swim, SUP, row, cycle... Find something that get's you the workout without stressing your joints....

Like boosting bass bins up onto the second level during truck pack... Or climbing ladders with a k12 top in one hand... OK maybe the sound co idea wasn't so hot as a conditioning program [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] It is most definitely not low intensity.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby ghiadub » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:17 pm

GonzoBass wrote:found my best relief came with a combo of yoga (daily stretching)
and core muscle strength, especially the lower abs.

This.

I have a little routine I do based on stuff I learned doing physical therapy.

Working from home and Sitting/standing in front of a desk every day is not helping.
I get out on a bike a few times a week so I don't go nuts. I am lucky to live near a great mountain biking park.
On days when I am not on the bike I walk around a trail I made on my property (.5 mile). That and 5 acres of yard work [smilie=fun_84.gif]
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG