Tyrone Davis Trivia Question

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, nolabass, harleyyy

Tyrone Davis Trivia Question

Postby FatherGino » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Does anyone know who played on Tyrone Davis' songs: "Can I Change My Mind" & "Turn Back the Hands of Time"? I could never find a listing. I always found their sound interesting. I guess they're from Chicago but I always think of it more like Memphis.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Re: Tyrone Davis Trivia Question

Postby FatherGino » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:15 am

Thanks for the links.

Not sure that's the guy though or at least the listings for him don't include the earlier Tyrone stuff. The "Can I Change My Mind" album has a very distinct sound with a very prominent bass in it. Very sustain-less flatwound sound (with a pick maybe?); similar but distinct (to me anyway) to a lot of soul tunes from that era. Interestingly, there's several YouToob entries of that song that is a totally different take or maybe even a different band. The original is a dirtier recording but a better version.
FatherGino

Postby Jerry » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:12 am

I have nothing to add, but those were great songs!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby FatherGino » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Yeah I always loved those two albums.

Here's another nice song:

https://www.youtube.com/v/H3noBt-Ij-0
FatherGino

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 am

I have great memories of Tyrone Davis. I saw him open for Johnnie Taylor and bumped into him on a flight once.
He also had a club on the West side in the 90's.
I don't know the answer, but it might be found in this book Chicago Soul: http://product.half.ebay.com/Chicago-So ... 68&tg=info
I read the book, which I had borrowed. It has all the details about the subject, especially labels and producers, maybe players.
An interesting read, tons of research.
Someone knows, I'll ask around.
MickeyOne

Postby FatherGino » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Cool book but out of print and a bit pricey. Guess I'm being a cheapskate, huh?
FatherGino

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:43 pm

[quote="Rob Francis"]Sounds like Memphis to me too but on Atlantic Records. Bernard Reed
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bernard- ... /biography

http://www.discogs.com/artist/644397-Bernard-Reed[/quote]

My source agrees:

Bernard Reed on Bass
Carl Woolfolk on guitar
Quinton Joseph on Drums
Floyd Morris on Keyboards

BTW on the allmusic bio
Reggie Board must be a typo for Reggie Boyd THE mentor for black Chicago guitarists and rumored to have been the actual player on the first Chuck Berry Chess sides.
My Mom went to Marshall HS 1950-'53
MickeyOne

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:56 pm

[quote="FatherGino"]Cool book but out of print and a bit pricey. Guess I'm being a cheapskate, huh?[/quote]

No. You're not. I was glad I borrowed it. A real lot of minutae. I think the writer was an academic from the Univ. of Chicago. You'd have to be into the whole history, or at least huge chunks of it. Carl Davis, Gene Chandler and Curtis Mayfield (deservedly) take up large sections of the book. Most of the rest is bands, producers and players you probably have never heard of.
MickeyOne

Postby FatherGino » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Great that's more info than I could ever find. Maybe knowing some of those names will clue me into some other gems from that era/area. I'm not crazy about the direction soul music took at the dawn of the disco era but I love the late sixties/early seventies stuff.
FatherGino

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG