Checking in

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, nolabass, harleyyy

Checking in

Postby ghiadub » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Its been pretty quiet around here. I would be posting more but been slammed with stuff. Day Job is in busy mode right now and I have been getting involved in a few new projects.

One thing that is pretty hilarious is that my very first band is playing a gig at my high school all 1980's class reunion. Except I used to play lead guitar and have not done so for about 30 years. We had some long forgotten originals, but the gig will be all covers, Maiden, Sabbath, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Dio, AC/DC. You get the idea. Man. I forgot how difficult that stuff can be. Just that many barre chords is giving me cramps. Should be a hoot though.

Crazy?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: Checking in

Postby Paul DeLano » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:50 am

Crazy? Sure, but crazy fun.

A couple years ago, at our 20th year mark, a few of us who had gone on to some level of success but hadn't really played together while in school put together a set for the party. Damned if that wasn't some of the most fun I've ever had playing music.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:28 pm

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby harleyyy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 pm

We're still here. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Happy Face » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:04 pm

In 2008 I played in a 40th reunion of a band I played in during high school. It was fun and surprisingly good after only one rehearsal. Prolly because everyone has continued to play. But .... internal tensions that broke up that band rose from the dead as well!

Last May, I played in a similar gig. But we actually rehearsed hard and long for four days ahead of it. It was a very good show.

It's worth doing, if you can. As I told the guys when I was doing some herding for the first show, "Let's do it now rather than at a memorial service!" Yep.
Happy Face

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Hey Tim I'm right there with you! Work is CRAZY right now, I'm pretty involved with my church and that's been CRAZY too. Not to mention family life. LIFE... is busy.

That gig sounds like fun! I haven't done any gittar stuff in a long time myself. Good luck with that. Enjoy! =^)

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:11 am

A lot of cats that I grew up with and played with back in the day still gig too. A bunch came out to see us when we played NYC a couple months back, it was like time stood still.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:50 am

busy here too... even though I officially retired from teaching in June, I've played 40+ gigs so far this summer.. I haven't had two minutes to make some high quality sawdust. but then again, it's too hot/humid to do much in my basement shop

it would be a hoot to play a set with my first high school band, which was a tijuana brass band..... I still have nightmares about that music

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 am

My high school band was my two brothers and I
(older on guitar/younger on drums).
Would love to do the old metal set list with them again!
...but alas, I am the only one still playing.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby DigthemLows » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:56 pm

I think I've been gone longer than you have.....
"Remember; we are not defined by our jobs, our jobs are defined by us" -Kennan Shaw
"I meant what I said, I said what I meant, an elephants faithful 100%" -Horton
http://www.myspace.com/sactoemusic
http://www.starsandgarters.net
DigthemLows
Bouncer

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG