Robert DeLeo

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, Gil Escalera

Robert DeLeo

Postby Eejif » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:54 am

He knows exactly where he needs to be, always layin' it down. STP would not be at all the same without him.
Eejif

Postby Jerry » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:48 pm

I dig his writing too, great player! [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear: Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Markbass II & LM800, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino AE 2/12 & AE 4/10/ Glasstone lil g/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:39 am

I had a debate once at a concert down at Shoreline with a friend of a friend. Who's the better bass player: Flea or Robert.

It was tough because both of us are fanboys of each band and they both were playing that night at shoreline.

I still feel Flea comes out on top...barely!

I didn't realize he was more of the main songwriter of that group!!! The later albums don't hold as much magic but STP's 2nd album is a MUST HAVE!!! Serously great songwriting and SOLID bass playing throughout!

I hope to someday be as successful as this guy in songwriting/musicianship as well as showmanship onstage. He's a total package!
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby Jerry » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:45 pm

Chops are cool, but at the end of the day I think great songwriting is a a gift I wouldn't mind having.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear: Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Markbass II & LM800, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino AE 2/12 & AE 4/10/ Glasstone lil g/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mike Childree » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:11 am

Great tone, too. I dig this guy, and the older STP stuff. Freakin' Weiland, man.....another example of one guy's mental weakness screwing up a really good package.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:58 am

First 2 albums, specifically the 2nd album. After that...it was a downhill slide into suckville!
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby Eejif » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:00 am

The first album, to me, is the least characteristic one. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but they seemed to still be in the process of finding their sound. The next two were their defining pieces, and the stuff after is a little more exploratory. That's why I love it, because they didn't ever really "settle." Great writing all around, for sure.
Last edited by Eejif on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eejif

Re: Robert DeLeo

Postby fourstringgirl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 am

Bought a Robert DeLeo Schecter Model T back in 2003. Its my main bass still today. Love his bass lines, always so much fun to play. Plush is my favorite - fantastic groove on that one.
2002 Schecter Model T, 1987 Kramer Series 100
fourstringgirl

Postby shamus1963 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Robert is definitely the man when it comes to modern (or fairly-recent, anyway) rock bass!

His blend of classic rock and Motown-influenced (Jamerson/Babbit) bass lines make for a far-from-predictable foundation, yet solid!

He is a HUGE part of what makes STP tick, but is not one of the first players that come to mind when the subject of rock bassists comes up.

And, yes, I am also the proud owner of a Model-T Bass! [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Don't play it if you don't feel it. ~ Jamerson
shamus1963

Links: Basses:

*Schecter Model-T (3-tone)
*Schecter Stargazer (Black w/white binding)
*Schecter Diamond Series C4 (Autumn Burst)

Catch me at FB: http://www.facebook.com/james.canzoneri1

Postby Eejif » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 am

Anyone else catch their 2010 album?
Eejif

Re:

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 am

Jerry wrote:Chops are cool, but at the end of the day I think great songwriting is a a gift I wouldn't mind having.

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif] [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rob Francis

Return to FAME