GHS Precision Flats

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Moderators: rockinrayduke, ghiadub

GHS Precision Flats

Postby Armybass » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:38 pm

Just put a set of these on my RI Jazz and I am not sure I dig them yet. Not too happy with the tension or the tone. DO I need to give them more time to mellow out? SO far TI's and LaBella's are my favorite flats. Anyone have an opinion of these.
Armybass

Postby onamission » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:07 am

Scott, I put a set of GHS Boomers on one of my P's a couple weeks ago. Sounded fine, had some bite which is what I wanted. I picked it up yesterday and the E and A sound like they have been muted. D and G are unaffected. bizarre!
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby Armybass » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:36 am

I couldn't stand them and yanked them off of the bass last night and put an old set of TI's. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, much better.
Armybass

Postby onamission » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Same here, pulled them for Da'darrio XL's, much better.
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby steveonbass » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Scott

GHS Flats (purple silks/black package) are dead right out of the pack. I love them but most people don't agree. I always keep them on one of my P basses for rootsier gigs.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Armybass » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:55 am

Steve I guess I am one of those folks. I just did not like they way the matched up with the Jazz. The TI's feel perfect on that particular bass. It's like you said, "It's amazing how the right set of strings can make a bass come alive or realize it's voice." I could not agree more.
Armybass

Postby steveonbass » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:45 am

It's true, basses will choose the right string.

GHS flats are thud machines on any bass though.

If you still have them, I'll throw you a few bucks for 'em - don't throw them away
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Armybass » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:51 am

They are yours Steve. They were on the bass for about two weeks and one gig. They are cut for a Fender jazz. Just PM me your address Steve. I liked them on a P bass a few years ago but they just had this ticky tacky tone that I could not dial out with the tone knob on my Jazz. The TI's have a warm low-mid burp that I am looking for on the Jazz.
Armybass

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:32 am

Some of the guys in Monkey work at the Starving Muscian in Santa Clara. They have a pretty good deal on GHS 2 packs for the price of one kind of a thing.

Well the band also has a deal with Dean, I used Dean's ML flatwounds forever and the GHS as backups.

I've had problems with the labella customs I got and got an EARFUL from the cats over at LaBella (Typical NYer bustin CA kids chops type fo a thing) I do like to tone of the labella's a bit better. I think I'm gonna try the Jamerson set next time I get strings from them.

Overall, as a backup I don't mind the GHS. They stayed intune when I slapped them on. Other than that...not much else to report.
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby steveonbass » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:39 am

Scooter - you rock man. Thanks!!
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Return to TONE