Re: The Wal Forum

Postby oldtoe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:19 pm

W251203
-Ben
oldtoe
Cuter Than Pinky

Postby bejahu » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:59 am

Ben, I am TOTALLY digging the Maple cap on Red vibe of your bass. Gorgeous!

Ben (bejahu)
bejahu

Postby walbassist » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:14 am

I think I'd better jump in this forum! Hello to one and all!

And remember Lowell, if you ever decide to sell Fifi I get first refusal!

Cheers

Gareth
walbassist

Postby chrisfbass » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:50 am

Hi guys - here we are . . . [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

No more news on the new man who I spoke to last month - I think he has some legal stuff to sort with Pete - and that's on top of commissioning the old machinery and creating an inventory of parts. Whilst continuing to run his existing guitar making and guitar repair services.

UK people requiring a Wal service should Click here for Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience (CCGX)

Chris F
chrisfbass

Postby cutting42 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:48 pm

So this is where all those names went to! I feel like I have spent the past year tracking forums. Anyway hi to all and especially Chris and Gareth and others in the UK contingent. Here is my small offerring, down from 3 wals to just the one but still the only bass I need to own. Must take a better pic as well.

Cheers

Gareth C
cutting42

Postby spiritchaser » Sun May 04, 2008 2:48 am

Hi all!
Nice to see a really working WAL forum again!
Here are mine - check them out in action with my band After The Rain at : http://www.myspace.com/reasonandrain
Cheers Oliver
Attachments
WAL 4_1979+2007.jpg
Pro I fretless neck 1979; custom selfmade MK I poplar / buckeyed burl body with aguilar pre & Bartolini MMC PU - finished 11/2007
WAL 4_1985.jpg
acid stained maple toplets, lined fretless 1985
WAL 5_BP_1987.jpg
acid stained English olive w/ Black Poly work & gold hardware
spiritchaser

Postby pushifier » Tue May 06, 2008 3:24 am

Well here's my jewel: Wal MK1 '91 Shedua facing (with sapline)
Attachments
DSC00291.JPG
Wal MK1 '91 shedua facing
pushifier

WAL BRIDGE

Postby der_kindskopf » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 am

hi,
i´ve got a problem. i need a sparepart for my wal sixstring:
"the black bridge frame"
there is no contact possible to wal.
does anybody know the producer of the wal hardware?

thanks
der_kindskopf

Postby Caca de Kick » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:08 pm

updated pic:
'90 MkII midi, '09 MkII
'86 MkII 5, '86 MkI, '90 MkI

Last edited by Caca de Kick on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Caca de Kick

Postby Caca de Kick » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Rare early-mid 80's Custom model catalog flyer. Simple double-sided, bass specs and wood choices listed on back.
Most of these were folded up and mailed to potential buyers. I lucked into an unfolded one packed in a MkI case.

Caca de Kick

Postby Freddels » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 pm

I've really been interested in these Wal basses lately. I went to the NYC TB gtg this past summer and there was one there but I didn't get to try it. I'm kicking myself for not but it was so noisy in there that I wouldn't have been able to hear it anyway.

I'd love to get a fretless Wal.

Any difference in tone b/w the Mk1 and Mk2?

I notice that the Mk2 is actually shorter overall even though it has additional frets.

What's the string spacing on the 5's?
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby bdgotoh » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:31 pm

I think the pickups and electronics are the same between the MkI and MkII. At least I can't tell any difference.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby night porter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi guys, looking for some help. I have a Wal custom which I bought second hand from my local music shop 22yrs ago.
The serial number etched in the brass plate at base of neck says JG0016 but the date written inside is Sept 1981. From what I can gather the JG prefix was pre-1981 and started as JG1111. Is there such a serial number as JG0016? I'm really interested in knowing the history of this bass.
night porter

Postby Caca de Kick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 am

night porter wrote:Hi guys, looking for some help. I have a Wal custom which I bought second hand from my local music shop 22yrs ago.
The serial number etched in the brass plate at base of neck says JG0016 but the date written inside is Sept 1981. From what I can gather the JG prefix was pre-1981 and started as JG1111. Is there such a serial number as JG0016? I'm really interested in knowing the history of this bass.

I saw a post about this on facebook too, and I've seen some others with goofy older plates being used-up on later basses. Your bass is simply a Custom MkI, aka Custom 2P as they called it in the early 80's. If the data plate says it's an '81, then that's what it is: 1981 Custom Mark I. It is not a 70's JG series bass, because the JG series had leather pickguards and paddle headstocks before the Pro series came out, and had a different serial number sequence. There was another recent early MkI to surface with a similar JG00xx serial, so it's apparent Pete/Ian were probably just using up a few unissued plates while either trying to figure what the new series plates would be stamped with, or waiting for the order of first W production plates to arrive.
Caca de Kick

Previous

Return to WAL