New Members....

"Driven by the desire to embrace substance and trust, which equates to the bassist holding down the bottom line."

"A perfect world scenario is a 4 stringer that is dedicated to the preservation and perpetuation of all that is bass."

Re: New Members....

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:40 pm

ilan wrote:Some of you might remember me from other online forums.

Of course. The FDP and The Dudepit! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Welcome aboard. Good to see you around.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Big Jack Blass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Well, not sure if I am doing this right, but I just joined this forum. It 's just what I had been looking for. I couldn't believe it because my pseudonym while playing the bass is Big Jack Blass and his badass bass. How's that for coincidence. I am self taught now for about one year. Never took a lesson. Well, I tried a "complimentary" lesson once, but when the instructor asked me to play something, I stood up and started to and he interrupted me and told me "you are wearing your bass too low". Ouch! That just killed it for me. Different strokes for different motorcycles. Never came back.

N E ways, glad to be here. Enjoy jamming and making up new sounds, songs, whatever you wanna call them. I like the fretless because I don't have to worry where to put my fingers. I am not your typical "musician". I believe that if you want something bad enough, you can have it. I wanted to play the bass so bad, that somehow, I pulled it all together just by listening and buying one and doing it. Seem to be getting better and better from some feedback (family) that I am getting.

So I don't know how to read music, I HATE music theory, and I play by "feel". Never play the same "song" twice (whatever you want to call it, not really "songs", just freeform stuff....can't really explain it).

Do I sound bizarre? Well, I probably am. I talk to myself too. All the time. lol.

Glad to be here with the badass bass players. Thinking of making a youtube video. Probably put a bag over my head first, though....the unknown bass player.

That's it for now. [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Big Jack Blass

Postby ghiadub » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 am

Welcome!

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 am

Okay, let me see...

• Well, not sure if I am doing this right, but I just joined this forum.
  • Different strokes for different motorcycles.
  • Do I sound bizarre?
  • I talk to myself too. All the time.
Well Mr. Blass... you fit in here better than you think. ;) Welcome aboard! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Gil Escalera wrote:Okay, let me see...

• Well, not sure if I am doing this right, but I just joined this forum.
  • Different strokes for different motorcycles.
  • Do I sound bizarre?
  • I talk to myself too. All the time.
Well Mr. Blass... you fit in here better than you think. ;) Welcome aboard! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

- Gil

HAHAHAHAH yeah ya' do!
Welcome
Rob Francis

Postby hmagman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Welcome!
Harry
hmagman

Postby GonzoBass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 am

Welcome aboard Big Jack!
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Your warm welcome

Postby Big Jack Blass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey thanks all for that real warm welcome. Much appreciated. Glad that I found a good spot to ramble on, get tips, etc. and where no one will tell me "you need to wear your bass higher" haha. I particularly liked the unknown comic. Yeah, I am the unknown bass player. It is quite an instrument. I have 6 (7?) of them --can't remember right now. Not rich, they're all "cheapies", like the first one was the Rogue $99. The most expensive one I got is the RondoMusic Douglas fretless neck through (a little over $200). Active. I do like me some active bass. ummm-hmmmmm. Got a roland bass modeling speaker (the one with 4- 4 inchers-- puts out quite a powerful sound), a Fender Rumble 12", bought used from GC (man, I don't like to go in there at all, get most of my stuff off of the internet. But sometimes you just gotta.--particularly don't like the way they search your purchase on the way out. Makes me feel....well....weird [smilie=bs.gif] ). And I got a Pignose 8". Think I am ready for an upgrade----a REAL upgrade, like maybe 4 x 10's, or something. Don't really know the ins and outs of a speaker cabinet and the power amp, but I am ready and motivated to learn. Maybe by my birthday--June. Maybe I can find a used one on this website? I noticed they have stuff for sale. I'll take a gander later.

Well, getting my Douglas fretless set up this weekend. The guy (22 yrs exp.) only wants $25. Independent guy, out of his garage. Can't beat that. A real luthier. Lex Luthier. haha.

I have never played a Fender bass and can't wait till I do. Also want to try the Rickenbacker 4001. But kind of pricey. I just jam my jams in my garage, so I am not the type of person to try one out at the music store. Too self conscious, I guess.

Maybe I can find my basses here too, huh? One stop shopping. Well that's about it for now. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
[smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]

Do any of you know of someone like myself who just picked up the bass and clicked on it and taught theirself how to play with no formal instructions? I really would like to know.

Well.....later.

Big Jack Blass and his Bad Ass Bass. The unknown Bass Player.!
Big Jack Blass

Postby Big Jack Blass » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

[smilie=fun_84.gif]
Welll I can see that I got no more replies. But that is ok too. I have been playing more and more recently, in more areas of my house. i play in my bedroom. I crank it up and have not got a complaint yet. I don't know, my playing is so "removed" from the normal "bass lines" (of which I don't know how to do even one..) because I am self taught, the sound, boogie I make is different every time and at first I could only start out for about 3 minutes once every week. Just got toooo self conscious. didn't really know what "people"..either real or imagined.....were thinking. I got past that point but it took me a long, long time to convince myself of it. I just handled and explained it to myself with humor. Before I plugged in and jammed, I would say out loud (told you I was a little crazy), " I am NOT a professional musician and you did not pay to hear this", but like a joke. And then I could play as loud as I wanted. I feel as if now, people in my neighborhood see me differently because I can jam real good and it's something they never have heard (style?) but they really dig it. . . i couldn't prove this, but somehow I can feel it. Hell, I feel as if could go on a stage and give at least a 20 minute performance of bass solo and jam my ass off with the type, style, rhythm, sounds not normally played together, etc. etc. that would come from my bass. I don't understand it either, I just do it. I love it. Finally. Courage! My only regret is that I didn't DO this much earlier. I would have been a monster by now. I am 63. Nam vet. two teenagers, boy and a girl, married 23 years (started real late) etc. etc. I try and keep it real, and the bass just seems to play me...it's my instrument all right. maybe that's why I got 7 of them...under $200 each). But I DO want a Fender real bad. Never held one. If I had a choice, though, I would take the Rickenbacker. Just a personal decision. Would need to be the fretless. don't play frets (ugh@!@@#$%!^) Hey, I ain't saying i'm like the 5 year old kid who can play classical music on a piano just by listening to one piece without any training at all (well, 5 years old how much training could you have?? ha).

I'm just gonna give it all I got everytime I pick it up. I really love that.

But I am rambling now;->

I really want to upload about 3 minutes of a new "sound" pattern, song, (bass solo only, and a pedal- can play without them, but I dig them alot). How would I put my style, whatever, up there and get feedback? I recently bought an Alesis Video Track, so I got that if that approach will work. Hey, don't worry there. I'm gonna wear that full face sunglass visor. No faces, please. Too self conscious. I can see the reviews now...."you suck, get outta town!", etc. etc. SO, who could tell me if they accept video for comment from amateurs on this forum? Bad Ass Bass Players!! Hell ya, that's me alright! I'm gonna prove it if I can. Either you'll say thumbs up, or thumbs down, or "what the hell was that?" That was cool. I never heard anything like that on the bass anytime. But maybe I am exagerrating. keep em guessing I always say. So, for the guys that said I'm in the right place because I am a little bit nutsy, this is the next level for me. this will be the test board to let me know if I should upload to youtube or break my bubble. this is a BIG step for me and I am scared spitless, but I know that I got it in me. When you open yourself up to criticism, especially on the internet, you really put yourself out there. Be afraid, be very afraid. Just want some honest feedback. Thanks Dudes and Dudettes. ( just assuming that one).

i tried to be honest in my first post, so you can read more there. Gee...I feel just like i'm bloggingl.....look ma!....I'm blogging.!!! Bad Ass Bass Blogger. ha.

Big Jack Blass and his Badass Bass. After I made up that pseudonymn, I found this website. seemed like I clicked right away. I guess in a nutshell, I am a self taught bass non-musician, who does not know even how to put his fingers correctly to make chords, and plays fretless because the frets just get in the way. See what I mean, you gotta talk to yourself in order to write! I guess one of my favorite of all time bassman would be the honorable John Entwistle. What a sound. I was just listenling to the live at prince albert hall on you tube. he's got a real nice, nice bass there. 4 stringer (I just use 2 strings about 90% of the time.....) and his solo kicks donkey butt. (Ass). What a musical energy. Not talking about his human side. In...The...Zone.

So, next time somebody asks you "how low can you go", they're probably talking about doing the limbo. So don't get too excited and tell them about your 5 stringer. Done.

BJBAHBAB
Big Jack Blass

Postby Carlitos » Thu May 26, 2011 12:20 am

Hi, just registered from the other side of the Atlantic (to the right). I'm going to spend several hours reading the forum to know all of you and your instruments.
I have to remove the dust of some years over my english to post intelligibly.
"May the mass times acceleration be with you."

Visit the Mediterranean
Carlitos

Links: Yamaha TRB5pII-OV
Tune Synchron Bartolini
Tune TBC4 fretless
Aguilar DB680
Aguilar GS210
Aguilar GS115
Peavey CS1400
Renault Megane GrandTour (biggest trunk around)

Postby nolabass » Thu May 26, 2011 12:45 am

Welcome Carlitos! :welcome:
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Thu May 26, 2011 8:24 am

Carlitos wrote:Hi, just registered from the other side of the Atlantic (to the right). I'm going to spend several hours reading the forum to know all of you and your instruments.
I have to remove the dust of some years over my english to post intelligibly.

Welcome [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby GonzoBass » Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 am

Welcome aboard, Carlitos!
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple