Kala UBass?

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Re: Kaya UBass?

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 am

"Kala" U-Bass?

...and not to highjack
but I thought this uke looked cool-

[smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby nolabass » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Spotted one behind Paul Simon on Colbert tonight. Sounds cool....looks tiny. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby pathdoc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:59 am

Okay this thing is very very cool. It is absolutely tiny and weighs maybe a pound. Mine is fretted and sounds like a bass straight out of the 60's, big flat sound. Of course I'm talking about the sound via an amp. You can hear it acoustically and could practice without an amp you wanted to. Hardest thing is adjusting to the really tight 20 inch scale length. If you have really big mits this may be difficult for you to play. Hard to believe but the thick rope like strings really make this little bass a true instrument and not just a toy. If I had a gig soon I'd give it a shot live. The fretless versions I've heard sound remarkably like an upright. For $499 shipped from Sweetwater its a hard little instrument to beat. Also because of its small size you can easily carry it on and place in the overhead bin while flying.
Overall I'd give this little gem a solid 9/10 for value and its just plain cool.

[smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Home of vinecrestaudio.
pathdoc

Postby pathdoc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 am

Recorded my first song using the Ubass and its sounds great. Lots of thump and attack without a ton of sustain. Ended up using a tiny bit of compression but level was so even with few spikes that I could have left it as is. Overall very happy with this little bass. Finally got an old strap and tied a shoe string to the headstock making it much easier to play.
Home of vinecrestaudio.
pathdoc

Postby Jerry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Picked up the 5-string version, so far I really dig it.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Previous

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS