Tokai Rickenfaker? Better Than a Rickie?

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Tokai Rickenfaker? Better Than a Rickie?

Postby Sloom » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey all. Anyone here knowledgeable about the Japanese manufacturers? Know anything about these? I'm fielding an offer to swap my MIM Precision for one from a dude in the UK. If it's got a better-than-normal E string (for a Ric) I may just do it... I'd end up possibly trading off my Hamer Cruisebass ('83, posted here before) for an upgraded Precision, perhaps, if the Tokai is a very good axe.

Thanks for any help or insight in this...
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Tokai Rickenfaker? Better Than a Rickie?

Postby aussiemark » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:24 am

If it's a current model Tokai then it's made in Korea. They're only average quality, based on the ones I've played. I never knew Tokai to make Ric copies back in their 1980's golden years, so I'd be interested to know what this is. It might be a Greco (if it's not a bolt on neck) in which case JUST DO IT.
aussiemark

Postby Sloom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks Mark, I'm waiting for some pix to show up, then I'll post them here. I'm mostly intrigued at this point, not all that into giving away my P bass, but it might happen if it's the right one. Just hard to know from looking at a photo and not actually holding it. Weird dealing over the 'net.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Rich M » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:36 am

I would agree with Mark that some of the early Tokai's are very good basses. If it's an early one and the tuners don't look cheap, then it's probably well made.
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks for chiming in Rich, all offerings are going into the pot, and we'll see what gets to the surface!
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Floyd Eye » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Better than a Rickenbacker. No F'in chance dude. True enough you have to contend with shitty Quality Control on most basses produced since Jesus H Hall took over his daddy's company, but they do churn out a few decent ones still. Find one of those if you're buying a 4003. I don't think there's any copy that can compete with most well kept vintage 4001s though.
Floyd Eye

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS