Hamer Cruisebass Mod... Sit Down for This One.

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Hamer Cruisebass Mod... Sit Down for This One.

Postby Sloom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm

I really, really do like this bass. I'm talking about the Hamer Cruise, the black one I posted about, and didn't trade for the Ibanez. 'Tis a winner.

But I had to change something. I have an odd strap-scheme I use because I seem to have issues with my left hand, arm, and shoulder. I put the upper strap button not on the horn, but on the back of the body, at the back of the lower horn. The rear button goes at the back of the body also, but about 10+ inches up toward the neck from the original spot. it changes the way the bass hangs, and the balance. That said...

The upper horn tended to get caught behind the strap. Half-way through a song I'd notice the strap over the horn, and would have to pull the horn out from under it. This was a bother, and that combined with the fact that the upper horn would dig into my chest led me to remove the upper horn. I've done it with a lot of consideration and care, and the result has given a look remeniscent of an SG shape. Almost an ESP Viper look... I'm still tuning up the new shape before I bring it to a local furniture finisher to do a custom nitro lacquer job on it. Here's the new shape:

And the old shape, for reference:

Here's an idea that the new color scheme will be based on; think of a darker burst at the edge:

I'm sold on it (I'd better be!). The pick guard is going to be a modified shape also, and made of clear acrylic. Should be done in a couple weeks... pix will come...
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Hamer Cruisebass Mod... Sit Down for This One.

Postby ghiadub » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Looks like a cool project there Rog. What are you calling that color?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 pm

ghiadub wrote:Looks like a cool project there Rog. What are you calling that color?

Thanks Tim. It's moving slowly, and progress is steady and good. The color is sort of... well, the National guitar there in the lower photo is from George Gruhn and Walter Carter's book, Electric Guitars and Basses, and the color is cited as "Blonde Ivory". I want the modded Hamer to look like a piece of old furniture that was well taken care of, but well used. But still with a nice, almost-flashy brightness to it.

The finish guy is going to work with me pretty close on it.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Sat May 07, 2011 6:49 am

It's white, with a gloss clear coat (2 coats). I didn't want to upstage the beveling I did to the sides, it's got some funky detail and I decided to keep it something simple to look at. The white will eventually 'yellow' because of the clear-coats, I guess. You can still see the Mahogany grain through the nitro, but I'm ok with it at this point. I'll get a photo up by tonight if I can... I'm putting it together today for a gig tonight. I'm very happy with how it turned out- it's kind of disarming looking, which generally suits me, I'm afraid!

I got a set of Radio Shack knobs for the vol/pan pots, and the old black rubber concentric knobs are back on the preamp pot. I've drilled a new hole in the front of the bass at the control cavity, and moved the input jack from the bottom to the front of the body. The knobs are now arranged in a tighter-looking grouping, which I like better (plugged the old hole at the bottom of the bass, of course). There's no name on the headstock, just pure white everywhere- back of neck, everything- except the dark Rosewood fret board.

Need a set of 80-110 Roto Nickels, and she's off. Pix to come... here's a shoot-shot or two:

Stan Waskiel, a local furniture guy who's been doing instruments of late. Also a fledgeling bass player...

-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Freddels » Sat May 07, 2011 7:45 am

Nice. I see he likes to use the protection mask when spraying. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Sloom » Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 am

Freddels wrote:Nice. I see he likes to use the protection mask when spraying. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I guess I shouldn't have posted that photo. But there are a couple heavy filtered exhaust fans he's right in front of, so it all pulled out of the way. He's not actually a very stupid guy... [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat May 07, 2011 10:03 am

Looking good! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I see this is a non 2Tek bridge model. Interested to see the final product. :)

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Sat May 07, 2011 10:36 am

Yeah it's an older one. I've gotten a belly-full of flack for it, but I'm happy with what I've got now! I'm a little grudging at the moment though, as I need a part to accommodate my having moved the input jack, and I'm missing a few pickup screws... got a gig tonight and I have to use the 5-string. [smilie=icon_neutral.gif] It's an Ibanez BTB bolt-on... plays great and sounds very 'modern', 35.5" scale. A nice axe to be sure. But I hope to have this one finished and in my hand this weekend! This is "my baby"...
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Sun May 08, 2011 7:36 am

-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Wed May 11, 2011 8:44 am

Kind of over-processed pix, but best I got just now. And I'm a little done posting pix of this anyway! But the last still-shots, just needs a soldering and she's off:

She's my favorite bass now, second only to the Ric Blackstar I used to have. Thanks for all the comments and ideas.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Rob Francis » Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Nice work Rog but does that bottom strap button go in your navel? :rant: [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Rob Francis

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Very nice! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

For some reason, I see this bass and I think Mark King. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Wed May 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Gil Escalera wrote:Very nice! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

For some reason, I see this bass and I think Mark King. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

- Gil

I'm not a Mark King kind of player, but for design, that's my entire mind-set! So thank you very much! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Rob, nobody likes a wise guy [smilie=fun_84.gif]! ... actually the whole situation is moved to the right considerably further than normal, and the rear button is well to the right of me when I'm wearing the bass; the butt of the fingerboard is pretty near dead-center on me. I'll have to get a shot of me holding it, maybe I can get my wife to take one. If she's not tired of the whole affair at this point! :rant:
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Wed May 11, 2011 7:46 pm

My wiring skills are pretty sucky, unfortunately! [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif]

Demo pix of the strap-jig effect tomorrow...
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby GonzoBass » Thu May 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Gil Escalera wrote:For some reason, I see this bass and I think Mark King. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Yeah, in an "Alembic" kinda way...
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple