Short Scale Bass thread

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Re: Short Scale Bass thread

Postby bigfatbass » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 pm

One of my first bass teachers was a nut for the things! He had the reversed 2 p pickup model (all white covers) and I believe it was a book-ended mahogany body, and one of the short(er) scale single pup versions with the same body style he had defretted himself. I absolutely LOVED both of them, and yes they are a fair bit collectable from what I know.

Any chance of posting pics of yours 4string?

Maybe we should ping Kebo on this one, too. I'd love to know more about them after all these years.

Edit: Did some googloogloogling and came up with what I think is a pic of the model he took the teeth out of:

Last edited by bigfatbass on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby fourstringgirl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 pm

This is the bass is question. 1979 USA made. The truss rod cover is not original and is no longer on the bass. It was hiding a terribly gouged out truss rod access point. Bought it off ebay in 2007.

2002 Schecter Model T, 1987 Kramer Series 100
fourstringgirl

Postby felig » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:03 pm

I've had one or two of the SD Curlees over the years--personally I think they look at their best when left to show their wear & tear. Even when new, the finish was not their high point, it wasn't much more than a tung oil or similar as I recall. The necks are nice & clubby--not originally my thing, but I've grown to love them. I've never owned one of the import ones--as far as I know, the imports had an "International" tag logo--like the Lakland Skyline. And, like the Skyline, the International Curlees were otherwise pretty much identical to the USA ones. Also, didn't the Internationals sometimes also carry the name of Hondo? I think some did & some didn't.
felig

Postby fourstringgirl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:34 pm

felig wrote:I've had one or two of the SD Curlees over the years--personally I think they look at their best when left to show their wear & tear. Even when new, the finish was not their high point, it wasn't much more than a tung oil or similar as I recall. The necks are nice & clubby--not originally my thing, but I've grown to love them. I've never owned one of the import ones--as far as I know, the imports had an "International" tag logo--like the Lakland Skyline. And, like the Skyline, the International Curlees were otherwise pretty much identical to the USA ones. Also, didn't the Internationals sometimes also carry the name of Hondo? I think some did & some didn't.

Luckily the '76 is a non Hondo. It has a small INT'L underthe main logo. The USA one has USA under the main logo. It has been really interesting owning the pair and being able to compare side by side. They are essentially the same model just made in different locations. The USA has the Badass bridge and Grover tuners in chrome. The INTL has lighter weight brass hardware. The finish on the USA is a deeper, redder tone while the INTL has less of the reddish tone. The INTL has black dot position markers on the fretboard while the USA has that groovy unmarked look. I've owned the '76 INTL since 1986 and it was it excellent condition when I bought it. Over the years has required NO truss rod adjustments. Ever. Take it out of the case, plug and play - easy. The USA has seen a much rougher life. The neck was bowed forward a good bit when I got it, with the truss rod being obviously an issue. To my disappointment the bass was unplayable. I took it to a guitar shop and talked with the tech and had my fears confirmed that the truss rod was unable to be turned. We agreed that taking some pressure off the neck by using the lightest gauge strings along with keeping it perpetually tuned to E flat might make it somewhat usable. Thankfully, that approach worked wonderfully and while it doesnt have the lowest action in the world, it is at a very servicable level. And while I was so excited to have found a USA made Curlee, the INTL is the better of the two instruments!
2002 Schecter Model T, 1987 Kramer Series 100
fourstringgirl

Postby steveonbass » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:19 pm

peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Short Scale Bass thread

Postby ghiadub » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 pm

That looks sweet Steve. Birdsongs are very nice as well. It is the only SS I have played that can get a boo-teek tone (passive)
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby moe monsarrat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 am

Here's my entry: a Kay 162 Reissue. Bad ass bottom end. I use this bass in the studio more than any other unless they demand a Fender or a 5er. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Attachments
DSCF0885.JPG
"I-Mon drive de bus. Dem guitar players jus' ridin' in it!"
moe monsarrat

Links: Endorsers: Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
Bassist/Vocalist/Composer/ Producer
Stop The Truck-www.stopthetruck.com
The Mau Mau Chaplains-www.maumauchaplians.com
Freddy Powers-www.freddypowers.com
Sonny Throckmorton-just google him
The Lotions

Previous