Short Scale Bass thread

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Short Scale Bass thread

Postby ghiadub » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 am

Post em if you got em.

I started on a shortie, a 77 fender mustang, went to 35" modulus 5ers for many years and after I started getting some wrist and forearm pain, I went back to 4 strings (mostly) and now I am back on the shorties for the most part.

I still play my SB1 quite a bit and my upright more and more but for most of my gigging, I am using my Mice.

Here is my current lineup on the short end of the scale:

68 coronado:

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: Short Scale Bass thread

Postby aussiemark » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 pm

I've got two shorties these days, courtesy of playing in a Stones tribute band, a Gibson SG Standard EB3 reissue and an Ampeg ADA4 Dan Armstrong reissue. I wouldn't normally own a short scale bass otherwise, but both of these are nice instruments and good to play ....

aussiemark

Postby steveonbass » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Just one shorty here - I used to have 5 - I'd love to get another H-22.
Here's my short-scale keeper
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 pm

I own, love and gig my Ventura 335 Lawsuit bass I got from Noahvale. I have had a Dano Longhorn that was cool too. I really like a short scale bass for the punch......great basses for roots/Americana/blues with a foam mute and flats. I still long for an H22 though.
Attachments
Ventura.jpg
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby kennans » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 pm

This comes along just as I'm getting a hankerin' for a short scale hollow body for the Foam/Flats thumpalong. The Fender Coranado is a tasty little thing I hadn't thought of. Hmmm...
kennans
Road Dog

Postby steveonbass » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:32 pm

My H-22 is the one that got away. I sold it to someone here. I will own another.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby DaveyG67 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 pm

I've two 32"s (Alembic Distillate & a Waterstone TP12) and two 30"s (CIJ Fender Mustang) and this German made Hofner Club:

The Hofner is SICK!... it has been either #1 or 1A as my favorite go to bass since acquiring it last September...
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby ghiadub » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 pm

DaveyG67 wrote:The Hofner is SICK!... ..

I can vouch for Dave on this one. What kind of strings were on that?

steveonbass wrote:Just one shorty here

That is on my hit list for sure, do you play it with a pick?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby DaveyG67 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:47 am

Tim, La Bella flats. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby steveonbass » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:07 am

ghiadub wrote:
steveonbass wrote:Just one shorty here

That is on my hit list for sure, do you play it with a pick?

I don't typically play it with a pick but I have (recording one time)
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby fourstringgirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 pm

First post here. I currently own 2 S.D. Curlee basses. I believe that they are actually considered to be medium scale basses but thought I would list them anyway. I have a 1976 and a 1979. The '76 is Asian made and the '79 is USA made. Both are passive single p/u models. Awesome little basses!
2002 Schecter Model T, 1987 Kramer Series 100
fourstringgirl

Postby steveonbass » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:14 pm

fourstringgirl wrote:First post here. I currently own 2 S.D. Curlee basses. I believe that they are actually considered to be medium scale basses but thought I would list them anyway. I have a 1976 and a 1979. The '76 is Asian made and the '79 is USA made. Both are passive single p/u models. Awesome little basses!

Welcome! I've played a few S.D. Curlee basses. Nice basses for sure. I think medium scale is, generally, considered to be 32" and short 30". All open to discussion here.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby hoytbasses » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 am

I think that the next bass I build for myself will also be a 32...... last night at rehearsal we were playing a bunch of tunes in F, and my wrist was saying "hey! stop it".

those SD curlee basses were great basses and one of the first of the 'custom' basses to show up. I remember studying one very closely as I was working out my own bass designs.....

and welcome, fourstringgirl!

karl hoyt, one of the resident luthiers
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby fourstringgirl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm

hoytbasses wrote:those SD curlee basses were great basses and one of the first of the 'custom' basses to show up. I remember studying one very closely as I was working out my own bass designs.....

and welcome, fourstringgirl!

karl hoyt, one of the resident luthiers

Thanks Karl! One of the SDs finish is not as nice as the other. Battle wounds for sure! I have contemplated refinishing it. I'm on the fence because on one hand, it IS a 32 year old bass and I'm reluctant to compromise the originality of it, but I can see in my mind's eye how incredible it would look with a refresh.

in your study of the SD, if I were to refinish, what would be your recommendation?

Lisa
2002 Schecter Model T, 1987 Kramer Series 100
fourstringgirl

Postby hoytbasses » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 pm

in your study of the SD, if I were to refinish, what would be your recommendation?

whew... that was around 1979-80 and a friend had one. I barely remember them and have only seen 1-2 since that time........Weren't they made of all maple?

those basses are probably relatively collectible, so I wouldn't mess with the finish at all. As you probably know, refinishing a vintage instrument kills the value in 99 % of cases!

don't know it that's helpful but that's my 2c on the subject.

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Next

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS