Birth Announcement: Baby Kala

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Birth Announcement: Baby Kala

Postby felig » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 am

My Zon just had a baby--delivered to my guitarist's shop yesterday. Kala Solidbody U-Bass.

felig

Re: Birth Announcement: Baby Kala

Postby steveonbass » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:13 pm

I'd love to have one of those - they are pretty pricey though so I need to try one first - that's the problem around here. No dealers.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby RMS » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:48 pm

So lets here you review. Worth the $$$?
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Postby Jerry » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Hutch Hutcherson does a lot of his Maui gigs on the solid body, sounds great!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby felig » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:36 am

RMS wrote:So lets here you review. Worth the $$$?

So far, I'm very happy with it. It's hard for me to get used to strings that are that pliable...I'm glad I went fretted, I think fretless would be impossible for me to get any kind of accurate intonation--my touch is not light enough for that. The strings, though stretchy, are otherwise easy to play, unlike the Asbury sticky silicone strings.

The user instructions tell you that, especially at first, it will take a bit of playing & light stretching to get the tuning stabilized. It does take a lot of cranking on the tuners to make much difference in pitch...so that is a good thing for getting in an accurate pitch.

The open "D" & to a lesser extent the open "G" have a little buzz or rattle when plunking around acoustically. If I lay my finger across the nut, it quiets that completely. At first I thought maybe the nut slots were cut a little shallow, but the more I play it, I think adjusting the windings around the tuners, or tweaking the bridge height (I'm very happy that this has an adjustment for bridge height at either side of the bridge) might take care of that.

All in all it seems to be both very useful as well as well-designed & constructed.

The active eq is nice to have, bass & treble boost/cut with a center detent.
felig

Postby felig » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:42 am

RMS wrote:So lets here you review. Worth the $$$?

Yes, especially since about a third of the cost was funded by selling a long-consigned Cort "Billy Cox Freedom Bass". As soon as my guitarist's shop sold the Billy Cox, I placed the order. FYI, my guitarist said that the USA solidbodies are assembled upon order, & my order was placed sometime in May. I was anticipating delivery in very late July or more likely in late August or even later. It seemed to take forever for him to get in a couple of the spruce-bodied acoustic Kalas. I know one had been ordered months earlier by another customer.
felig

Postby felig » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 am

steveonbass wrote:I'd love to have one of those - they are pretty pricey though so I need to try one first - that's the problem around here. No dealers.

I think if you can even track down one of the lower end import U-basses that you will be able to get a good general idea of the feel. As soon as my guitarist got his initial order of the import spruce ones, I tried that out & decided to go for one of the solid-bodies. I wanted to make sure that it would be something that I could actually play (unlike my Asbury experiences--sorry Froover).
felig

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS