Epi T-Bird!

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Epi T-Bird!

Postby Sloom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

I swapped my Ibanez BTB 405QM, which was just plain too big, for a run-of-the-mill Chinese Epiphone Thunderbird. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and re-stringing it; and she needs new tuners, matching knobs, a new output jack,... a little peripheral TLC. Also there are cracks on either side of the neck pocket, which I can glue up if they're serious. Nothing about it worries me, in fact I'm pretty psyched to have it- although it's actually nothing special, in terms that most enthusiasts would think of as 'special'.

But it looks quite nice, even with the small scratchy mess of some kind of non-removable residue around the jack. After a truss-rod tweak she plays pretty well. She goes out-a-gigging Friday night, and I'll do a real set-up over the weekend (when I can sit down with it and a new set of strings- I boiled the old crungy ones and stuck 'em back on).

What I like quite a bit about it is that the neck width, and degree of taper, or lack of it, from nut-to-bridge is similar to my Hamer Cruisebass. So I'm hoping my feeling about it is a good one. I'm also into it because it's fun, and I'm digging having a bass for just that reason alone! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I'll post with a more complete impression next week. And a pic.
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Epi T-Bird!

Postby Paul DeLano » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:26 pm

If I ever buy another four string bass it will probably be a 'bird. And I'm a broke-ass musician so it will probably be an Epi.

I've actually been looking at these for a while, let us know how it shakes out. I'm interested.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby Sloom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Paul DeLano wrote:If I ever buy another four string bass it will probably be a 'bird. And I'm a broke-ass musician so it will probably be an Epi.

I've actually been looking at these for a while, let us know how it shakes out. I'm interested.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul

Willdew Paul. It'll be a do-as-I-go kind of thing, but I should know enough to give a pretty concise summing-up shortly. I'll tell you this much, it is definitely neck-heavy, as well as just plain heavy! It's a great slab of Mahogany, some species of which aren't light. But I've done my custom strap-jig for it which pretty well negates neck-dive, and have a comfy strap, so it's working for me. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

Pix'll be up, and a better assessment. Any comments on sound have to wait 'till after ensemble playing... but I've got what seems a nice EQ setting on the Trace SMX head. I'm hopeful- 'cause I'm a broke-ass musician too!
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 pm

T-Birds are cool. Had to have a cool bass. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:21 am

Sloom wrote:And a pic.

Yes. A pic is a must!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Sloom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:59 pm

So here's the current state of it:

-The Grubs.

Sloom

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS