Roscoe vs MTD

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Roscoe vs MTD

Postby Cneck » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:21 pm

OK, I've been bitten by the high (or at least mid-high) end bass bug. I have a Warwick Thumb BO 6 that I am in love with, but I'm thinking of getting another nice sixer. Right now I can maybe get an MTD 635 for $2500, but so far I haven't been able to close the deal. I can get a nice used Roscoe Century Standard 6 for $1600, or a Century or SKB Custom 6 in the $2100-$2800 range.

Thoughts?
Cneck

Re: Roscoe vs MTD

Postby bdgotoh » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 am

I had one of each and didn't like them enough to keep. The Roscoe had balance/ergonomics issues (upper horn too short, sharp body edge, funny angle to the pickups) and the MTD was 35" scale which bugs me on a 4 string. Didn't like the tone of either one, clean and full range but pretty thin and not much warmth. Both were built very nicely and lightweight. Just my experience, you may love them. I'm more of a P bass, L2000, Stingray guy for tone.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Freddels » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 am

I've played a few MTD's and didn't care for them. I do like Roscoes. The angled pickups . . . depends on the model and same with the short horn. The SKB and Century models have longer horns and I don't find any balance issues with them.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:57 am

I like Roscoe, the one MTD I did play seemed to have lots of mids and I couldn't get a ballsy low end thump out of it, but I suppose it has that "cut through the mix" tone like a Modulus or Kubicki. I don't know if you've tried Pedulla 6ers but they're freakin sweet! I've seen used ones in the price ranges you mentioned.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:10 am

Never had a Roscoe, but I did have a very nice MTD 535. I really didn't like the string spacing...gave me wrist issues. I also had the same issues as Brad...I'd play the MTD and it sounded great alone...all hi-fi and such. But put it into a band mix and it's lost. I'd play it for a few tunes and eventually put it down to play my G&Ls...and I'd immediately feel like a raging bull elephant!
[smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Cneck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:38 am

You guys are mentioning the thing I've been concerned about on the MTD, i.e., presence in a mix. I have some basses that do very well in a live band setting, such as my Washburn MB-8 with Status electronics, my Essex with SJB-3's and Chromes (really), and of course, the Thumb. For me, the Thumb does everything, and does it well. Like most Warwicks, it has a very strong midrange voice, but it can also cut like a razor and thump like an earthquake. The MTD I've been looking at has a wenge neck and fingerboard, so I'm hoping it also would have a little of the same character. However, that particular deal isn't looking too promising anyway. A Thumb NT 6 would be a nice companion for the BO, but they're not exactly common, and tend to be a bit pricy, even though I'm looking in the up-to-$2500-or-so range. My impression is that if I played with a gospel choir, or did a lot of slap, the MTD would be nice, but that's not what I'm doing.

Also, feel free to comment on Peavey Cirruses. A lot of them seem to be available, and I don't really have to spend $2000+ to be happy. I've never actually tried a Cirrus 6, but I've heard that they are nice.
Cneck

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:01 am

I've played a couple of Roscoes and I own a MTD 535 w/wenge neck & fingerboard.

The Roscoes, both LG-3005's, were great they just weren't my cup o'tea. Sound was fine, but the way they hung, balanced and felt just wasn't for me.

If you're looking for a more P type sound or heavy G&L type sound, then the MTD won't please you. And as Mike stated, the spacing could also pose issues as could the 35" scale Brad noted [which is my preference for 5 stringers, YMMV]. Myself, I have no trouble 'cutting' through or sitting in a mix with the style of music I play with my MTD which typically leans more towards modern than old school. I have mine setup for the piano/hi-fi sound to begin with (MTD Stainless round-wounds).

I have other basses, including a Fender P, Sadowsky Ultra Vintage J and a G&L L2000, that I use for for those type sounds when needed.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:48 am

I used to have an Awesome Roscoe LG3004. I had been playing a bit of 6 string and I thought I could trade the 4 up and get a 6er.

I had the wrist/hand issue where I started getting stiffness and pain. That and the neck was just too wide. Funny cuz my sadowsky has a wider spacing and no issues there (it is a 5)

I never should have sold the LG3004, it was an amazing bass, still the only bass I could slap on. Sat really well in the mix too. I have checked out a few MTDs and the spacing is the same (too wide for me)

This is my current 6 (sx short scale):
http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb406natbshort.html
Narrow and short.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby bejahu » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 am

I've owned both. The MTD was a korina body with a wenge/wenge neck and board. It was light as a feather and very hi-fi sounding. The only problem was that it lacked the low-end push that I need. But 8 pounds for a six string bass was nice. The 35" scale was a non-issue, since it was uber comfortable. The Roscoe had a Spanish Cedar back/maple face with a rosewood board. It had a chunky neck and sounded HUGE in the mix, like a big, fat Pbass. The only problem was that the top horn was too short, so the balance was very challenging for me. If I might make a recommendation, I have tried several Warriors. The balance is superb and the tone is very present in the mix. Used, the are an extremely good value. They are absolutely worth your consideration.

Dr. Ben
bejahu

Roscoe vs MTD

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:13 am

Don't overlook a nice Modulus or Zon.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 am

Mike Childree wrote:Don't overlook a nice Modulus or Zon.

We've been hanging out with Karen's old friend, Mark Gullo. He has been a luthier at Zon for 25 years. I'm doing a tour of the factory soon. Something tells me I am gonna want one something bad.

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby MoBeach » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:25 am

Do all Modulus basses have a graphite neck? The 5 string I played was very bright sounding and I just couldn't get rid of that snappy sound.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:00 am

I had a Roscoe for a short time. Didn't care for the balance OR the tone. Not a big fan of Bart pickups and the treble on the preamp was crispy/brittle/shrill.

That said, it's the best B-string I've ever played.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby ghiadub » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 pm

MoBeach wrote:

Do all Modulus basses have a graphite neck? The 5 string I played was very bright sounding and I just couldn't get rid of that snappy sound.

They do make some with wood necks. The Genesis series. Be careful of the early ones, the necks have been known to be unstable.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 pm

...and for something totally different in the high-end arena...check out a Rob Allen. Build quality is unbelievable, and the tone is totally fat and a lot more versatile than some would suspect. Just a blast to play, too.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS