OK, I'm definitely calling this one boutique

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

OK, I'm definitely calling this one boutique

Postby Cneck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Been on a bass buying spree lately. Not sure what all I'm going to keep, but this Thumb certainly tops the list:

This is not the same Thumb I posted before. That one's a bolt-on, and a really nice bass. This one's obviously a neck-thru, and a real work of art. It's a '95, and a bit different from the current ones. The most striking difference is the wenge/bubinga neck. I don't know exactly when they stopped using this wood combination, but it was a while ago. I'm guessing that the abalone dots are factory-installed but I'm not sure. The Barts are original, but the NTBT isn't. The seller sent me another Bart pre (NTMB) that I think might be the original pre. Not sure why it was changed, but I don't see the need right now to change it back.
Cneck

Re: OK, I'm definitely calling this one boutique

Postby ghiadub » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 pm

that looks like a sweetie. I remember checking out those neck thrus in the 90s at my local store and I remember how easy it was to slap on it.

I dont slap, but I could sound like I do on the Thumb 4 they had. Same with my old Roscoe.

Congrats~!
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Paul DeLano » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Warwick jokes aside, the neck through sixers are really nice basses. Killer, dark, punchy tone.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:57 am

That's a nice one! What's the price tag on those? Around 3K?
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby hmagman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:08 am

:drool Congrats!
Harry
hmagman

Postby Cneck » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:08 am

MoBeach wrote:That's a nice one! What's the price tag on those? Around 3K?

Well, if you really want to know, I paid $2254 for this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/250911599731?ss ... 1423.l2648
I think the new ones go for somewhere around $4700 street price. I think I got a reasonable deal, but I'm not sure since you don't see a whole lot of these on ebay.
ghiadub wrote:that looks like a sweetie. I remember checking out those neck thrus in the 90s at my local store and I remember how easy it was to slap on it.

I dont slap, but I could sound like I do on the Thumb 4 they had. Same with my old Roscoe.

Congrats~!

I'm not much of a slapper either, but I recently made my slapping debut at church with my BO 6. For whatever reason, these basses don't seem to be a whole lot louder slapped than they are fingerstyle. I added a little compression, and I could slap the verse and play fingerstyle on the chorus. I did pretty rudimentary slap work, but people liked it. There was just a song we were doing that sounded to me like it could use some slapped octaves, so that's what I did.

I've got a gig tonite, but I think I'll bring the BO instead of the NT. I just feel more comfortable taking the BO out at this point, but I'll probably take the NT to church soon.
Cneck

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 pm

That's pretty sweet!
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby bejahu » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:26 am

These basses sound great. Congrats on the purchase.
bejahu

Postby Cneck » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm

This is the first neck-thru Warwick that I've really spent any time with. My Thumb BO 6 is a stellar bass, but this one is a whole 'nother smoke. The neck feels like polished granite. At just over 12 lbs. I guess it could be made of stone, but to feel wood that is that hard and smooth under your thumb is a revelation. It's brighter and a little more nasal than the BO, but the pre can tame that pretty well. I've been playing it a lot here in front of the computer, and it feels marvelous. I'm going to try it out at church next Sunday. Not sure if I want to take it to very many, if any, rock and roll gigs. The BO definitely handles R&R duties well, and isn't nearly as irreplaceable.
Cneck

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS