Ovation Magnum III

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Ovation Magnum III

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:22 pm

I always wanted one and just got one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330750644476?ss ... 1497.l2649

This is the passive version and I have never laid hands on one.

Any experienced opinions?
MickeyOne

Re: Ovation Magnum III

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 pm

I've always dug the look of those - and that one is in superb condition. Cheap as chips too at just $700. Great score! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
aussiemark

Postby steveonbass » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Cool basses. I've always liked the look. After playing one (and I've only ever played one so keep that in mind), my biggest issue is that the magnetic fields of the neck pickup poles are very narrow. If you do a lot of bending, the pickup signal can actually drop out when farther from the poles.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 am

I had one in the 80s but mine was the active version with the EQ sliders, the bridge mute, and the other body style with the short upper horn. I'll second the potential dropouts on the neck pickup, also each coil in the neck pickup has it's own volume so make sure they are adjusted properly. I loved the tone of the bridge pickup, it's a humcancelling split coil that sounds like a single coil. The bridge can be a pain to intonate, you have to remove the string to loosen or tighten the saddle screw. The neck was supposedly bolted and glued on at the factory, never checked to see if that was true. I found my bass neckdived a good bit but I loved the neck feel and how great it sounded. Lost it in a fire in the 90s [smilie=icon_frown.gif]
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby MickeyOne » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Finally got it and it's as clean as a whistle, case too-just hasn't been played much.

Finally got it adjusted-there are lots of moving parts but bridge saddles cannot be raised.
With some old Ken Smith compressors, it sings to me, a bit of Gibson like tone.

Now, comes the tough part-the ergonomics. The first position seems far away, it's 9.5lbs and a bit head heavy.
With a thick strap, (I wear it high) it hurts the shoulder, so I have to play low for now.

I am considering moving the button which is on the back of the horn but don't want to make holes yet.

Short of an ASAT strap extender, does anyone have any ideas?
MickeyOne

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS