Rickenbacker question

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Rickenbacker question

Postby randall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

I just did a repair job on an 80's Ric 4003. Wiring repair, basic set up. Both truss rods were loose, and it had very high action. After putting some tension on the truss rods to get neck relief where I like it, and lowering the bridge to about as low as it would go without the adjustment screws being slack, it still had what I would consider high action, maybe 3/8" at the high frets. And even if the saddle could go lower the strings were limited by the large bridge pickup assy. So it seems this bass was never intended to play with any kind of a low action, and that doesn't make sense to me. Is this a Ric thing? Or is this particular bass just wrong in the geometry?
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Re: Rickenbacker question

Postby steveonbass » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Rick rods are different than most and, often, best set up with 2 "skilled" people.

Try this - remove strings and loosen both rods, with the butt of the bass on the floor anchored between a foot on the back and a knee on the front - have 1 person carefully impart tension on the neck (back bow) while the other tightens both rods - important to get equal adjustment on both and try to get more headroom with the adjustment than you need. String it and bring the bass up to tension. Adjust by subtraction of neck tension. They definitely have their own charm.

If this doesn't work, Call Jim Mouradian. He'll straighten it out. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby randall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

I don't think it is a matter of truss adjustment. I think the neck relief looks good. I think it's more a geometry issue. If it were a bolt on neck, I'd shim it to angle it back a bit. But with a set neck, what can you do? And was it produced this way? And if so, why?
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 am

The basses of that era were just off in terms of geometry.... Some of the lowest action I ever set up was on a Ricky, just not from that era..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Paul DeLano » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 am

Interesting. That's one of the issues I've always had with the Rickenbacker basses, and they were probably all '80s basses. Works fine for Lemmy, not so well for me.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby steveonbass » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 am

I've apparently avoided that era of Ricks. Never had an issue with action that I couldn't fix.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Steve the problems are the plate around the tail pup is too high and the bridge cant go low enough. You can have the neck level and the bridge bottomed and either the strings will hit the plate or youll be high.... Lost cause on some of these. Structurally there fine... Geometery is screwy..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby rockinrayduke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 am

Mark Arnquist who worked for them back then has a FB page where you can ask him questions and possibly send it to him if you like. He can fix any 4001/3.

I've had a hard time with my 4001 keeping the neck straight but finally seems to be about where I want it. Light gauge strings help.
rockinrayduke

Postby ampig » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 am

I didn't think we were allowed to discuss Rics on the BABP :hid: :hid:
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby AchimII » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm

ampig wrote:I didn't think we were allowed to discuss Rics on the BABP :hid: :hid:

Really?

I just pulled my '07 out of the case that has been tuned to low D for some years. Now back to E, the action is somewhat high. Seems I have to go into double trusrod adjustment, too.

Btw Howard, best regards from "Lassie" [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
AchimII

Postby ampig » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Lassie Come Home
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Floyd Eye » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:46 pm

A lot of Rics prior to 2015 had too much body material removed from the neck route under the pick guard which can cause the neck to move. It's a fairly common problem and one Mark Arnquist remedies all the time.

As for adjusting the truss rods, the 4003 adjust like any other bass/guitar. The 4001 is adjusted a little differently. It's easy enough for 1 person to do, but if you don't know what you're doing, take it to someone who does.
Floyd Eye

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS