Guild Pilot 5's

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Guild Pilot 5's

Postby 57RIP » Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Snagged a pair. Lined fretless and 1 of 9 Advanced Pilots built in 5 string. The Advanced has a bound and blocks neck with some additional abalone bling in the blocks. Both are 2 piece, book matched tiger maple. 1 lavender to blue, the other a yellow / orange. kinda wilder than my typical... Pic's soon...

Extremely playable and quite light. The B seems OK, but not as solid as that on a 35" Lakie. The B is pretty much on par with an L2500.
Attachments
image.jpg
In between the Elricks... Nice company to be keeping, she's slumming at my place :-)
image.jpg
Blingy neck!
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: Guild Pilot 5's

Postby jshilgebass » Sun May 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Still lovin' my Guild Pilot 5...

This photo was taken waaaaayyy back in the days of the 'Pit. Gil Escalera had just finished installing a John East U-Retro preamp in 'Blue Boy' and I was putting him through its paces. The EMG pickups (and the B string, I think) really benefitted from this preamp. Originally the bass was fretted, but in this photo had already been converted to fretless; frets were pulled out and the slots filled with a mixture of acrylic glue and maple sawdust. It's probably the lightest in weight of all my 5-string basses.

I'm thinking of getting the fretboard coated with a harder finish, and perhaps change out the pickups to Nordstrands or something else. As it is now, it's still a joy to play.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Re: Guild Pilot 5's

Postby 57RIP » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am

I have Pete Biltoft working a J pickup design for me at the moment. We have a couple of preliminary ideas. The one most intriguing to me is a hum canceling blade design. He has a pile of post vacation custom orders in the queue ahead of me. I think we'll have a rap on the design next week anyway. One of my goals is emphasizing the B string. We'll see how this turns out.

My fretless has an Audere Classic, 4 band and Sadowsky pickups. The fretted came to me with Lane Poor pickups and an Aguilar Opb-2. That is the one I'll upgrade first. Still thinking about the preamp. Might try a Nordstrand. I'm a big Audere fan. Not a fan of duplication though... Either way it needs to be a 3 or 4 band as I miss the mids control with the 2 band.

I'm amazed at how good these basses are while flying under the radar...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS