Ric

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Ric

Postby ReneGiust » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:14 pm

I've never given much thought to Rics for some reason. Dunno why. I've only played one or two briefly in my life...never sat down and really played one at any length of time though.

This past weekend I picked up three used Kansas CD's that I haven't heard in years and was loving Dave Hope's tone. Sounded like a Ric to me (someone tell me I'm right). So, I did some poking around on the internet and figured out there's basically two main flavors: 4001 & 4003 with variations and limited editions sprinkled in....I think. On the surface I didn't see much differance.

What can you Ric players tell me?

If you're a guy like me...that is, someone looking for a 'player' that does the classic "Ric Rock" thing, what model/years do you look for that give you the most bang for the buck?
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Postby wwittman » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:10 pm

well yes and no.

Really the differences between MOST 4001's and 4003's are insignificant. (having to do with truss rod styles and things)

The bigger difference is in the original 4001 which had a "horseshoe" treble pickup.
a VERY different sounding pickup.
That's what Entwistle, Squire, and McCartney's 4001's have/had.

The later 4001's and all 4003's DON'T have it.

Now in the new line - the "reissue" 4001C series has it.
So did the 4001v63 and the 4001cs.

The other major flavour of Rickenbacker bass are the models that have two alike pickups (two toasters, for example) like the 4002 or 4004. Much LESS commonly found.

lastly, there IS that matter of the vintage style (toaster) pickups in the bass position versus the newer higher gain pickups.

to ME, the Rickenbacker sound is defined by thsoe basses with the toaster neck and horseshoe bridge ppickups.

If you're buying a new one, buy a C series.
They're VERY nice
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer/Musician
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield...)
wwittman

Re: Ric

Postby earlgray » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 am

ReneGiust wrote:I've never given much thought to Rics for some reason. Dunno why. I've only played one or two briefly in my life...never sat down and really played one at any length of time though.

This past weekend I picked up three used Kansas CD's that I haven't heard in years and was loving Dave Hope's tone. Sounded like a Ric to me (someone tell me I'm right). So, I did some poking around on the internet and figured out there's basically two main flavors: 4001 & 4003 with variations and limited editions sprinkled in....I think. On the surface I didn't see much difference.

What can you Ric players tell me?

If you're a guy like me...that is, someone looking for a 'player' that does the classic "Ric Rock" thing, what model/years do you look for that give you the most bang for the buck?

I was in a similar position as yourself -- never gave Rics much thought -- until I recently ended up with a two-year-old 4003 in a trade. I'm a G&L guy to the core, but, I can say that it is a fabulous bass -- I love playing it and the sound just rocks!

There are some weird eccentricities to RICs that take some time to get used to. For example, the pickup cover that everyone removes [smilie=coz.gif]. Once it is removed, there's a sharp edge on the metal surrounding the pickup that just annoys the shit outta me. And, the Ric-o-sound stereo output seems super-cool, though I've found no one who uses it live because it seems to necessitate hauling around even more gear than normal. And, my bass has the dreaded "wimpy-E" -- which is an open-E that just sounds like its had the life sucked out of it. Its just that note or two on that string...everything else sounds freakin' great.[smilie=cool-smiley-030.gif]

I play in about 5 bands, each with a different sound & the Ric is THE BASS for my rock band. Its got 'that sound' and the other guys now ask for it soon as i walk in the room..."hey, didja bring the RIC?" Unfortunately, this band isn't quite in gig form yet, so I haven't taken the RIC out on the town yet. But, that will happen soon.

Anyway, even if you get a newer Ric in stock form, you're likely to get that distinctive sound.

Go for it. I really like having this bass in the fold now.

enjoy.
earlgray

Postby Sloom » Sat May 02, 2009 10:45 am

Try one- you'll either love it or not love it.

I took off the pickup cover and the entire suspension on mine. I glued two shims down into the cavity and used the springs on wood-screws to put the p'up back into the cavity. Viola, no annoying metal thing. Reversing the mod is easy and invisible, just keep the parts in a baggie.

I sold mine, like a danged fool. [smilie=fun_84.gif]
I will have another... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby bdgotoh » Sat May 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Rene found a 4001 on CL a few weeks after starting this thread so he should have plenty of experience on one now.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Dean » Mon May 04, 2009 8:01 am

Dave Hope, the bass player on the early Kansas recordings, used a Fender Precision, stainless steel roundwound strings, and played with a pick. His sound is very good, as is his playing, but it is not a Ric. I particularly like the album 'Song For America.'
Dean

Postby Happy Face » Mon May 04, 2009 8:13 am

Dave Hope - Dean is spot on with what I've seen on video. Adding to the tone, he used the pick down real close to the bridge.

Ric pickup cover. Pickguardian makes a plexi surround piece you can put on. Protects the pickup as well. But even with one installed, It's still a little annoying. But better than a metal edge waiting to slice your finger.
Happy Face

Postby MickeyOne » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:40 pm

[quote="earlgray"][quote="ReneGiust"]

There are some weird eccentricities to RICs that take some time to get used to. For example, the pickup cover that everyone removes [smilie=coz.gif]. Once it is removed, there's a sharp edge on the metal surrounding the pickup that just annoys the shit outta me. And, the Ric-o-sound stereo output seems super-cool, though I've found no one who uses it live because it seems to necessitate hauling around even more gear than normal. And, my bass has the dreaded "wimpy-E" -- which is an open-E that just sounds like its had the life sucked out of it. Its just that note or two on that string...everything else sounds freakin' great.[smilie=cool-smiley-030.gif]

I play in about 5 bands, each with a different sound & the Ric is THE BASS for my rock band. Its got 'that sound' and the other guys now ask for it soon as i walk in the room..."hey, didja bring the RIC?" Unfortunately, this band isn't quite in gig form yet, so I haven't taken the RIC out on the town yet. But, that will happen soon.

Anyway, even if you get a newer Ric in stock form, you're likely to get that distinctive sound.

Go for it. I really like having this bass in the fold now.

enjoy.[/quote]

Yes the wimpy E string. When I began playing again after a very long hiatus, I was lucky enough to find a '78 Aureglow for $1000 on CL. I loved the way it looked and felt, but before i realized it was wimpy on the low end, I had spent lots on upgrades; pickguard, pickup cover, stereo box, even a new DiMarzio pickup to try to get more bottom. After I sold it, I was told by a Ric collector that there is a resistor which can be connected or unconnected (I can't remember) to give you more bottom. He said at the time of manufacture, the amps of the day had trouble with the lows and that was the reason for it. He told me about a website for Ric owners which documented this. I looked it up and the info supported his claims but I don't remember the website. Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone successfully modded their Ric and gotten Fender type bottom? I did once played a different Ric with Flats thru a B-15N and experienced sonic nirvana.
MickeyOne

Postby ReneGiust » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:08 pm

I think that's a capacitor (cap) that needs to be removed (or one end lifted) not a resistor.

I've been using my 4001 almost exclusively for over a year now. Brad had a chance to play it and thought it was a good one. It could use some new strings...something a little more aggressive than the XL's that are on it now.

It's a "player". The previous owner swapped the pickguard, put some gibson style knobs on, and took some sandpaper to the neck. All that helped make the price slightly more reasonable.

-- 1979 ---

RicBody2.JPG

RicBody1.JPG

RicBack1.JPG

RicNeck1.JPG
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:08 pm

That's not a good one Rene, it's a great one! I've had a lot of 4001s over the years and the best have a full, even tone and feel great to play. I've only come across a few like that and yours is definitely one. I didn't know yours was a '79, my old fave that got destroyed in a fire was a '79. There might have been something magical about that year with Rics because my old one sounded and felt awesome.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby El Tookay » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Okay, gotta chime in after playing Wacko Hatrack's Sept. 68 model 4001.... jawdropper :smokin :smokin :smokin

Ricks are like Siamese cats, they all have personalities. Some have the dreaded wimpy E or a bad dead spot on the first fret E string, some have quiet spots on the fretboard, some have really over-bright pickups, etc. I've owned 11 Ricks, and each has had it's quirks. Four of them I would nowadays consider 'dogs', four were decent enough players, and the other three were the stuff that Rick legends are made of- a super snotty black 73, a house-rocking blonde 74, and a super-recording, sonically balanced Fireglo 73.

Rick basses have to be embraced for what they are and what they aren't. There are some things that Ricks don't do well- like slap-, and some things they do better than Fenders- go back to your record collection and listen to the Eagle's "One of These Nights". That opening bass riff that Randy Meisner is playing would not like that on a J-bass. Ricks can go deeper than Fenders, but where they lack is the low-mids, due to the pickup design, number of winds and the super-fine gauge wire used (# 54 ga., I believe). Also, on the later 'stereo' models, Rickenbacker put a .0047 capacitor in line after the selector switch on the bridge pickup, sucking out all the lows and mids. Bypass this cap, and listen to how the bridge pickup opens up. A favorite mod of mine was to change the value of the bridge tone cap from .047 to a ceramic disc .022. Cuts the highs, but doesn't cut into the mids, and give up a very smooth, vocal-like single coil tone.

The ultimate trip to Rick-ville is an original horseshoe/ toaster combination through an SVT / Sunn 2000s/ Marshall Superbass/ Major/ big-ass tube rig. When the pickups are grinding hard and driving the amp to that point of magic just before break-up, where all the harmonics get really rich- THAT is an experience you will not forget.
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Postby Floyd Eye » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:53 pm

I have been gigging almost exclusively with my '74 4001 for many, many years. Mine doesn't have a toaster or a horseshoe. It has a pair of Hi Gains and it sounds exactly like a Ric. They (Rics) are the only things that sound like Rics. Mine has extremely low action. The neck likes to be dead flat, zero relief. A LOT of them do. There are many differences between individual basses, even in the same production year. QC has gotten pretty bad in the last 20 or more years though. If I was looking I would try to find a '73 with checked binding. You gotta play them before you buy them. The necks are all over the place. I love mine. Obviously.
Floyd Eye

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS