Carvin Basses Questions

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Carvin Basses Questions

Postby hmagman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:34 pm

I have some growing interest in Carvin basses. The new Icon model is an outstanding bass IMHO as well as their BB line of basses. Workmanship is equal to any I've seen in their price range. Playability and available tones are also excellent and the price point for their basses is very competitive.

Questions: Why is there hesitation from a lot of players to purchase Carvin? Is there more background information than the re-sale value argument? [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Re: Carvin Basses Questions

Postby SmittyG » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:28 pm

From what I understand from talking with folks about the brand (I've never owned a Carvin myself), it is mainly the resale issue. Many brands, like Fender and G&L and Lakland and Sadowsky, will bring you back a good majority of the money you paid for the instrument if you decide it really wasn't "the one" after all. Other brands, like Carvin and Peavey, while known for top quality at the high end of their product ranges, put you in the position of taking a major financial hit, more than 50% in most cases, if you try to resale the instrument in perfect condition even after just a month or two of ownership. That is a serious gamble to take on an instrument you never get to try before you buy. I have found a few folks who said they were not fond of the electronics in the Carvins, but these folks were usually down on active basses in general.
SmittyG

Links: http://naradaweeps.bandcamp.com
http://facebook.com/solobassist

Postby DaveyG67 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:23 pm

I think Smitty nailed it. I ordered a Bunny Brunel lined fretless fiver about 12 years ago... the build, playabilty and tone were outstanding. I ebayed the bass six years ago ,(when I was scraping together extra cash for my house down payment), and I think I got a little less than half of what I bought it for brand new.
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby GLJeff » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:47 pm

I'd try to find one to play before buying it, just to make sure it's what you want. This resale thing sounds scary. I know a guy that's had a 5 string fretless for a long time and still owns and likes it.
GLJeff

Postby Bassilisk » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:35 am

Workmanship is equal to any I've seen in their price range. Playability and available tones are also excellent and the price point for their basses is very competitive.
A couple of years ago I visited my friend who lives near LA and of course we went there to see music row where I got to try my first Carvins at their outlet store. I agree with your assessment - very well done instruments overall. However, I also agree with the other assessment and the hit is at least 50% when you sell. In that light my preference is to go with a Warmoth or USCG custom build for a new one, or only buy a used Carvin. Once it hits the used price point it stabilizes (like a Peavey Cirrus for example). They are nice basses though.
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Postby GonzoBass » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:55 pm

I own a Carvin BK4A (Bass Kit 4 String Active)
that I bought mainly for the HB in the bridge position option,
seeing it as a poorman's MM.

I had issues with the neck not being stable,
but their customer service was A+
and from what I've been told the problem was due to my not finishing the neck properly.
(Their kit comes unfinished and I used a spray satin on the neck)

The electronics, fretwork and overall quality are great.
Graphite nut, nice tight tuners, string through bridge, complete shielding
and I like the push/pull - active/passive volume knob too.

Overall, it's a nice bass.

l dug the tone of the active HB
and it was my main slap bass untill I bought my MM.

There are some live videos of it on the "Downloads" page of my site-
GonzoBass.com
(Notice that the truss cover is off due to frequent tweaks)

Never had to deal with the resale issue, well, 'cause I rarely resell.
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I am in the process of switching the Carvin over to a fretless now.
(One of my New Year resolutions...)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby hmagman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:41 pm

G&L_Jeff wrote:I'd try to find one to play before buying it, just to make sure it's what you want. This resale thing sounds scary. I know a guy that's had a 5 string fretless for a long time and still owns and likes it.

Thanks Jeff. I've tried their basses on multiple occasions at the San Diego factory store (two freeway exits from my house) and overall they KILL! I'm just a coward to jump in the pool and buy one I guess...

Yes, the 50% loss in resale does bother me, but if you really enjoy and use the bass, it shouldn't matter.

Just looking for positive feedback on the overall quality and playability of their basses from owners or folks with some experience with the brand.

Regards,
Harry
hmagman

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:30 pm

I looked long and hard at Carvins many moons ago. GREAT basses.

SmittyG nailed it, and the low resale on their basses was enough to keep me away. If I knew I would keep it and nothing else would catch my eye then I would've bought one. I just knew myself too good then (and now) to know that it could hit the chopping block and that I would take a big hit on it as far as buck$.

Heck, even Ed Friedland couldn't resist being unfaithful with his Carvins. ;)

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby spideyjg » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Saw a couple on the OC Craigslist the other day for $400 or so. I've nearly pulled the trigger on a couple of locals for that range.

I love the Icon sound but not the lack of a forearm contour. :(

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby GLJeff » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:25 pm

spideyjg wrote:I love the Icon sound but not the lack of a forearm contour. :(
Jim

That's why they make belt sanders and steel wool :)
GLJeff

Postby Golem » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:14 pm

`

Bad resale alone is not enuf to stop someone who really digs a particular bass. The lack of ability to play it first is the deal killer. I've got two high end Ibanezes.

*kindly contain your laughter and please read on*

Anywaze, they're from the Japan custom shop, and are based on one of their production models. I played various versions of the standard non-custom models, and had two very different versions of the custom shop model all available locally. At least when I shelled out for the one that sounded and played just right, I knew exactly what I was getting. Knowing in advance that the resale percentage was so poor that me and this ax were essentially married, a mail-order bride was just outa the question.

My second one was yet another configuration, and I also bought that one locally, with a return privelege. These were my main players for quite a while. I've had these basses for several years now, and one of them remains the obvious choice any time I need a solid body FL5. One thing about rotten resale numbers, it keeps you loyal to the bird-in-hand. But that's equally the argument against buying Carvins, unless you live near a Carvin sales showroom and can choose your ax from the in-stock inventory.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Bassilisk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:54 pm

Bad resale alone is not enuf to stop someone who really digs a particular bass.
Totally on board with that. If you really dig the bass, it speaks to you and you can play the shit out of it (by that I mean it "fits like a glove"), get it. I'm on my third Warmoth and wouldn't get back a fraction of what I put into them, but they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Carvin basses are very well done. If flipping it isn't on your to-do-soon list, get one and enjoy it. But, if I was getting one of their TOTL models with any custom work, I'd sure like to see a couple up front. Out here on the East coast that's a tall order indeed. I can get to Fodera's without much difficulty, but a Carvin Icon... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Postby k5koy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 am

I have American J basses, P basses, I love my "Hybrid" Warwick with its growling tone, Ive sold off Rics because they just werent comfortable to play, but my Carvin LB70W remains at the top of my playlist. I will probably at some point pull the trigger on a few more of them. I like thier Amps too. The resale factor is what draws me to Carvins. I can pick up a very clean, Good quality bass for a song! I like em.

Koy- West Texas
k5koy

Postby spideyjg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 am

Yep they flip for a song. Lookee this one LB70 for $400. I don't have any room to snag this but if I did......

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/1702466448.html

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby k5koy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 am

Yep, thats what Im talking about. If mine werent so similar, Id own that one too! Only difference is a little change in the body style & the headstock. Im kinda lookin for a quilty looking one, and probably a different series. I saw an Elite that knocked my sox off!
Koy-West Texas
k5koy

Next

Return to ONE OF A KIND AND THE OTHERS