USA Peaveys, bargain of the year

Custom builds, high end, rare basses, and all other bass brands.

Postby rsnell22 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:48 am

Folks, don't overlook the USA Peavey basses when looking at used stuff.

I picked up a near mint TL-5 at an obscenely low price on the bay last year, and now I can hardly put it down...
rsnell22

Re: USA Peaveys, bargain of the year

Postby GLJeff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 am

Are there non USA Peaveys?
GLJeff

Postby El Tookay » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:17 pm

hey, my current #2 is a '87-ish Dyna-Bass in all black. Those Super Ferrites sound like big, fat jazz bass p/up's, and the on-board EQ is actually usable, once you understand where the freq centres are. Great in passive. The bass hadn't been played in 12 years, and the truss rod had never been touched- took 3 days of penetrating oil to loosen it! Got the bass, bullet case, original manuals and strap for $250. Absolutely crazy-ass deal! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Now, the TL-5's- a neck-thru, 24 fret USA built, curved body bass- those are a spectacular deal. Got a mint one at Barry Ewart's shop for $549. Just ain't no lovin' for Peaveys.......
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Postby Bassilisk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:20 am

Last year I picked up a beautiful 4 string Cirrus with a quilted Redwood top for just under $700 with the OHSC. Totally boutique level build quality, played and sounded great. The only reason I flipped it was my stumpys couldn't get used to the 35" scale, otherwise a killer bass. They've gotten pretty pricey for the new USA versions, but grabbing a used one around the price point I got is a bargain indeed.
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Postby hmagman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 pm

I agree with you guys, Peavey's top end basses are great. It's really almost the same with Carvin's and Peavey's resale values. The bass community view for whatever reason has determined that resale is on the low side. In any event, I need to check out a Cirrus 5 string again someday soon... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby noahvale » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:46 pm

The USA PV's are great. I bought one of the chinese BXP Millenium basses so that I would have a 5 string to use while my Hoyt was being built. It was a great bass for twice the $200 I paid for it. Bottom line is Peavey sells quality, no matter where they have it made.
One of my favorite quotes I've ever read was Hartley Peavey in his Bass Player interview: "I want to do more with my life than just process groceries."
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby Java » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 pm

Well, it sure was nice to blunder in here and see Peaveys getting some love. I've had a T-40 since 1980. I'll probably be buried with it........ [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Have Fun,
Java
Java

Postby KPJ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:10 am

Golem wrote:
I think the USA Milleniums, with the J-H PU config are the most lowdown crazy bargain in all Peaveyland. A real lowbucks sleeper.

`

I agree!

Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Links: Fender Blacktop Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz Fretless
ADA MB-1 Peavey IPR-1600 Ashdown Little Bastard 30 Peavey 410TVX Acoustic B15
www.revebnation.com/uncleruth

Postby bigfatbass » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:30 am

I'll chime in with the P-V Luv!

My first brand new bass after years of used crap was this 1990 Dyna-bass Unity 4. This was the best bass Peavey made at the time and had a whopping list price of $1299. It sat in a local shop for almost a year before I scored it for $689. To this day, in spite of the lack-luster pups, easily the best bang-for-buck instrument value of my entire life.

Seven piece laminate maple/'hog neck though, solid flame maple bookends (yes I said SOLID, no top on this baby), ebony board, and full gold plate Schaeller hardware. Still my main writing bass today. Never in the case, always in the stand ready to go. I stopped putting a fresh battery in it years ago, but the passive p-tone is just fine, as is the bridge jazz tone. Nothing spectacular mind you, but good, solid, usable, tones across the board. How many cheapo basses can match that?

Note: This is also the bass that was the seed for having frogs on all my axes. I came home from class and my girlfriend had Kraz-E-glued that little ceramic green frog onto it, right below the bridge. The short version is, of course I flipped. But, she was insistent that this was the right move (hippys!), plus she had the added arguing cache of a spectacular ass. What can I say? She was right on, although I made like I was upset for daaaayyyyyssss to milk some extra "apologies".

That frog has lasted all these years with only one tiny chip on one of his eyes.

Damn, I still love that bass. Still the one that feels the rightest in my hands.
Attachments
PeavyUnity.jpg
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby Golem » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 am

`

Just checking in with a reality update. Despite my admiration for Cirrus, B-Quad and Millenium JH, the peaveys that have actually stuck to me are a Palaedium and a G4 FL. The FL is a pro defret. The 'G' has a std pau ferro board, so it makes a great FL. The Palaedium FB is ebony, but I've never been moved to defret it. The 'G' just begged for it. As soon as I put the first set of flats on it, I heard a great acoustic tone begging to be freed from behind bars. I used to have a second G4, with frets, but it was displaced by the Palaedium. Both are 35" 4-strings and they make a good pair.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Sloom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:15 pm

My '89 DynaBass Unity is on my list of top players ever. I got it from an H-C ad from a guy in Tennessee. I just trusted- and was justified! I've almost sold it, but glad I didn't. One of the better moves I've made.

It's going to eventually get a de-fret though. Ebony board and Poplar body wings are stirring me to do it... I heard my bass at a sit-in through a GK head and Bag End S15D cab. I heard the Ebony and Poplar combo. I'm sure that's what I was hearing, and I need to get some more of that!

I'll post when it happens... 'till then I'm inviting someone to try and talk me out of it! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby bigfatbass » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:06 pm

You don't see very many of our particular model, and even fewer in the solid black. Nice!
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby MickeyOne » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 am

Are there non USA Peaveys?

Yes, there are. I have 2 Peavey Milestone II's (International Series) P-Basses. One has active EMG's ($70) and the other is white with a home painted gold pickguard and original? pickups which are almost as hot as MFD's. ($100)

I recently picked up a early 90's Foundation 5 for $150 because I could actually play it. Once I got past that, I realized that it sounds great, with P and J qualities. It is missing the headstock decal, because a previous owner was ashamed of the name I guess. The guy I bought it from turned me on to Chip Todd, the inventor of the T-40, who has a repair business near Austin, Texas. He has some decals and agreed to put it on (wouldn't send the decal) for $10.

I also had to tear myself away from an 80's Patriot and 4 String Foundation in two Miami pawnshops. If anyone is down that way, I would be glad to point you in the right direction.
Attachments
Peavey Milestone.jpg
MickeyOne

Postby Sloom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 pm

bigfatbass wrote:You don't see very many of our particular model, and even fewer in the solid black. Nice!

Thanks. Actually the picture doesn't give it up well, but it's a very dark midnight blue. Looks sort of even heavier than black, in the right light. Un-black, as it were...

Nice deals there Mickeyone! Miami? Ever been by Ed's Guitars?
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby ghiadub » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:00 pm

I must agree, this should be heading my direction:
Dyna5.jpg

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub