DIs??

Rig talk.

DIs??

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Looking for a recommendation for a really good D.I. for bass.

Budget is ~$450. Needs to be active.

Any recommendations?
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: DIs??

Postby steveonbass » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm

I like the Radial DIs with Jensen transformers but they are passive - all the radial stuff is great and damn near bulletproof

Radial j-48 maybe?
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Active DI's with a $450 budget. I've used the following and would recommend them:

Radial Engineering J48 - $199 (new)
Radial Engineering JDV Mk3 - $379 (new)
Avalon U5 DI Preamplifier - $650 (new) / $450 (ebay)
REDDI Tube Direct Box - $795 (new) / $450 (ebay)
Aguilar DB 900 Tube Direct Box - $629 (new) / $450 (ebay)

My favorite is the REDDI and the U5 is right behind it. For a 'keep in the gig bag' I'd go with a J48. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

- Gil
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 pm

I like my U5. Kinda limited piece for me being I only record with it. But dam my 55-94 sounds good through it. I do not like my P Basses through one though.

I have no other experience with others. Gil knows, listen to him. Heh... [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby SmittyG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:31 am

My favorite is the Seymour Duncan Paranormal DI. I absolutely love how it sounds. But I don't think it is near as high end as the stuff you are looking at.
SmittyG

Links: http://naradaweeps.bandcamp.com
http://facebook.com/solobassist

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:38 am

nolabass wrote:I like my U5. Kinda limited piece for me being I only record with it. But dam my 55-94 sounds good through it. I do not like my P Basses through one though.

I hear ya Peter. My best results using the U5 with passive P basses is to turn the TONE button "OFF" (flat) and the HIGH CUT button "ON" (-3dB @ 8kHz). The High Cut filter helps eliminate string noise and other annoying high freq. stuff I don't want.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby felig » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 am

I really like my Radial Bassbone--but I don't know much about DIs so I don't know if it is an active DI. I just know it works well for my purposes & sounds great.
felig

Postby cripula » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Gil and I are on the same page for sure.

Radial J48 for an "in the gig bag" active DI. I really like the JDI as well, but as mentioned it's a passive box. I found the Bassbone DI didn't sound near as nice to me as the J48 or the JDI, which was a bit of a disappointment.
The Countryman may do the job for you as well, but it's been a long time since I used one so I can't really comment.
Used Avalon U5 - can't go wrong.
I really like the old 1.5 space Demeter VTBP-201 with the Jensen transformer as a DI too.
I need more time with the REDDI to really comment.

I'd probably go straight for the used U5. Sounds killer through a nice signal chain, and blends great with an amp track.

Then I'd buy all the others [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
cripula

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 pm

What about the DI's in my EA iAMP500 and GB Shuttle and the like? Where do they fit in in terms of uses? I've used on gigs before just fine, butg nothing beyond that. What are their limitations in comparison to some of the active and passive DI's being discussed here? TIA for the knowledge... [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Postby dluoma » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 am

I love my Ampeg SVTDI. YOou might be able to find one for 450 but they are hard to find.
dluoma

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm

It's passive, but the Radial ProD1/D2 is great. Built like mid 70's East German swimmer and performs like one, too.

I have the D2. Basicaly like having an extra DI around just in case I want to split my signal.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:31 pm

I usually go with my soundman's choice on this one, he loves the Avalon U5.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby 57RIP » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Welcome back old thread,we missed ya!
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 am

57RIP wrote:Welcome back old thread,we missed ya!

LOL!

Note to self: Check date of thread before posting.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Floyd Eye » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:24 am

Reddi
Floyd Eye

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION