Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Rig talk.

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby Freddels » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:59 am

There's one for sale on TB right now.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
User avatar
Freddels
 
Location: Central MA

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby steveonbass » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:47 am

Sorry to party poop all over TE. I just had horrible experiences with them. Working in a music store solidified my fears about TE and Ashdown stuff. A lot of it came back - broken. I can say the same for Hartke (all of it came back). Lots of later generation GK stuff broke too.
peace
-steve
myspace
User avatar
steveonbass
Bouncer
 
Location: Boston

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:12 am

steveonbass wrote:Sorry to party poop all over TE. I just had horrible experiences with them. Working in a music store solidified my fears about TE and Ashdown stuff. A lot of it came back - broken. I can say the same for Hartke (all of it came back). Lots of later generation GK stuff broke too.



No need to apologize about your poop.

OK.....That didn't sound right. [smilie=coz.gif]

I appreciate any and all opinions. What time period are you talking about (when you were working in the music store)?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby steveonbass » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 am

Mr. Mom wrote:
steveonbass wrote:Sorry to party poop all over TE. I just had horrible experiences with them. Working in a music store solidified my fears about TE and Ashdown stuff. A lot of it came back - broken. I can say the same for Hartke (all of it came back). Lots of later generation GK stuff broke too.



No need to apologize about your poop.

OK.....That didn't sound right. [smilie=coz.gif]

I appreciate any and all opinions. What time period are you talking about (when you were working in the music store)?


2005-2007. My personal TE experience was when TE first crossed the pond. Cold solder joints, cutting in and out at gigs. It was my first big amplifier investment and it was a poor choice. I was never happy with my sound. I replaced it with a Mesa 400+ and was infinitely happier.
peace
-steve
myspace
User avatar
steveonbass
Bouncer
 
Location: Boston

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby felig » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:05 am

Interesting, Steve--I've seen a number of bad Mesa 400+ heads--but I would love to get my hands on one. I've not had any TE problems, but the Ashdown that I got from Travis in trade for my AH1200SM had a couple of issues that turned out to be bad solder joint-related. (Travis had identified the issues when he offered the TE for trade, the repair was a cheap fix for not more than the bench charge, & I still have, like, & use the Ashdown--I'm keeping it).

Hartke--well, that is another story, although a lot of problems with the original cabinets were people trying to play a big room with a 200 watt cab--the aluminum cones definitely did not like to be overdriven.
User avatar
felig
 
Location: Fort Myers, Florida

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby Psycho Bass Guy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:36 pm

steveonbass wrote:2005-2007. My personal TE experience was when TE first crossed the pond. Cold solder joints, cutting in and out at gigs. It was my first big amplifier investment and it was a poor choice. I was never happy with my sound. I replaced it with a Mesa 400+ and was infinitely happier.


Were the amps in question new "Peavey" production or were they leftover Gibson stock? Gibson sold lots of sick (warranty returns,b and c-stock) amps as new to get them out of their warehouses about that time. I've even seen NOS Kaman amps in local music stores. The Peavey stuff was VERY slow getting here, and is still hard to find.
the fly in the ointment, the monkey in the wrench, the pain in your ass
User avatar
Psycho Bass Guy
 

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Anything here look particularly interesting?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby felig » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 pm

There's a mislabeled AH350SM for $399 in the Westlake TX store--item #105361760. It's hard to tell from the picture, it looks a bit rough. The price is a little higher than I would like to pay, but not out of the park.
User avatar
felig
 
Location: Fort Myers, Florida

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby steveonbass » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Psycho Bass Guy wrote:
steveonbass wrote:2005-2007. My personal TE experience was when TE first crossed the pond. Cold solder joints, cutting in and out at gigs. It was my first big amplifier investment and it was a poor choice. I was never happy with my sound. I replaced it with a Mesa 400+ and was infinitely happier.


Were the amps in question new "Peavey" production or were they leftover Gibson stock? Gibson sold lots of sick (warranty returns,b and c-stock) amps as new to get them out of their warehouses about that time. I've even seen NOS Kaman amps in local music stores. The Peavey stuff was VERY slow getting here, and is still hard to find.


Mine was pre-gibson
peace
-steve
myspace
User avatar
steveonbass
Bouncer
 
Location: Boston

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 pm

felig wrote:"The first units were all TOLEX. The rat fur came later."

The first Traces that I remember were in some molded, industrial plastic-looking, cabinets.

In the early 80's I was introduced to TE gear by TE's North America Regional Manager and the West Coast Product Specialist. They were two of four TE reps in the states at the time. I was introduced to them by the amp salesman at The Guitar Store in Pomona, CA (not to be confused with the Guitar Center). They were the first west coast music store to carry TE. The amp salesman soon left the Guitar Store to be a US Product Specialist for TE and tried to recruit me as well. I was pretty familiar with the product line since I had been drooling over them! They were all Tolex. [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
User avatar
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer
 
Location: Upland, CA

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby El Tookay » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Yep, grey Tolex from 84-96. The Tolex was pretty rubber-y and flexible, made it really easy to tear when it was heated up. Fred mentioned the head covers with the Trace name imprinted, those were the Series V and early Series 6 heads, very indutrial/ thermo-nuclear looking.

If you play StingRays, you owe it to yourself to try your SR through a Trace Elliot head. They compliment one another so well- its a sound that sold millions of records, a classic formula, like P basses and old SVT's. And the blacklight looks cool....
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
User avatar
El Tookay
 
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby nolabass » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm with Steve on this one. When I think of Trace I think of 80s glamrock......blech. I have wanted a V4 for some time now though.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
User avatar
nolabass
Global Bouncer
 
Location: New Orleans

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby ghiadub » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 pm

I had a GP7SM 300 and it kicked hard. It was an older pre buyout. Amazing little amp that took a lot of punishment like octave, bass synth resonation overload, dropped out of the van, and it kept on ticking.
Fart free on the low B as well.

It was very heavy.

I also had one of those acoustic guitar amps with the two 6" speakers - biggest POS I ever paid money for -
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
User avatar
ghiadub
Bouncer
 

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby Psycho Bass Guy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 am

steveonbass wrote:Mine was pre-gibson


...not by that time and certainly not "new." It's a pretty safe bet you were dealing with Gibson's warehouse/repair shop-purged amps. You have seen firsthand how their handling of the brand nearly killed it.
the fly in the ointment, the monkey in the wrench, the pain in your ass
User avatar
Psycho Bass Guy
 

Re: Trace Amps: Edumacate Me

Postby steveonbass » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:48 am

Psycho Bass Guy wrote:
steveonbass wrote:Mine was pre-gibson


...not by that time and certainly not "new." It's a pretty safe bet you were dealing with Gibson's warehouse/repair shop-purged amps. You have seen firsthand how their handling of the brand nearly killed it.


Psycho, I bought my GP12 in 1987 or 88. Definitely pre-Gibson.
peace
-steve
myspace
User avatar
steveonbass
Bouncer
 
Location: Boston

PreviousNext

Return to AMPLIFICATION



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron