GK MB 500 VS MB 500W Fusion

Postby Scogbass » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Anyone try em both worth the +200.00? for 12AX7's
I think I'm off the combo kick- LOL [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
D Geoffrey Scoggin
Scogbass

Re: GK MB 500 VS MB 500W Fusion

Postby ghiadub » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 am

I have only played the MBFusion at NAMM and it was hard to tell the difference with all the background noise.

I think their non tube "drive" sound is the shit. Consider me subscibed.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby 57RIP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 am

From Tom Bowlus @ TB
I spent some time comparing my MB Fusion to my MB500 the other day, and one of the things I was specifically looking for was how much clean headroom I could get out of each. I have to say, I was somewhat surprised to find that I was able to get the MB Fusion to get just as "loud and clean" as the MB500, if not a tad bit more clear. The added harmonic content with the MB Fusion adds some nice "air" and "life" to the high end, and if you don't drive the input too hard, you can definitely keep it out of anything approaching and obvious overdrive, but still push the amp pretty hard. I had expected that I would have to deal with a certain amount of preamp overdrive to get full volume, but I really didn't. Now, if you want it, it's certainly there, but it's nice to know that you can stay clean, clear, and tight and still get all the volume you'd want.

Tom.

I don't need big power and if I do, there is always a monster QSC in a rack I can drag... so I'm actually thinking about dumping my WT-800 and ...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby nikko60 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 am

Greets all,
-I know this is a bit of a late reply, but I've had my MB-Fusion for 6 days now. It's coupled with an older Yorkville BassMaster combo cab(took the amp out for storage) and a new Eminence Neo C2515 - sounds so sweet and kick-ass.
BUT....
Since the Fusion has 3 tubes, it has a thermal sensitive variable speed fan that kicks in when the temp gets to a certain point.
And man, does it ever kick in! When I first heard it, I thought, "air raid siren"! I'm not kidding.
When I'm sitting here at the computer, bass plugged in, not playing and the amp's on mute, it'll kick in every 10-15 min or so and run on high for about 50 seconds, then finally wind down in another minute.
Obviously in a live band situation it wouldn't be noticeable.
So, I don't know if this is normal behavior for mine or not or if I'm being "over-sensitive". Looks like I'll be calling a tech at Gallien-Kreuger today.
If it IS normal, I may have to just get used to it 'cuz it sounds so great.......I don't want to discourage anyone from checking out/buying this amp........

I'd like to hear from other MB Fusion or MB500 owners concerning fan noise.

Thanx......
nikko60

Postby Xansky » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:51 pm

I've had my MB Fusion for a few days and I've noticed the same loud fan noise issue. It's quite unsettling. Let me know what you learn from GK.
Xansky

Postby GonzoBass » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 pm

The MB500 is silent.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby hoytbasses » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:02 am

I'm so happy with the sound (and balls) of the mb500 I just don't see the need for dropping another 2 bills to get the 12ax7's.

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby ghiadub » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 pm

The fusion unit I had also had a somewhat noisy fan. I assumed it was because of the tubes. It sounded great, I liked it better than the MB500. Both are great amps for their own sounds.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:31 am

ghiadub wrote:The fusion unit I had also had a somewhat noisy fan. I assumed it was because of the tubes. It sounded great, I liked it better than the MB500. Both are great amps for their own sounds.

I agree, MB Fusion sounds great... noisy fan is a non-issue especially at stage volume with a band. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby 4mal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 pm

I now have an mb2-500 a07. Basically an mb-500. And an mb-fusion 500. both are great heads. The fusion is the best gk yet though. The biggest difference isn't tube grind. It is the voicing. The highs in the fusion are a bit laid back as are the high mids. There is a little 'air or presence to the high end as well. It is a slightly less aggro voicing. It's still a GK and you can dial it back in with the eq. You can't dial that sound into an mb-500 though.

That said I ran the mb2-500 Saturday night in a small stage but loud bar room. The head is buried in a 1x10 combo with matching extension cab I had built for it. No tweeter. A very 70's / 80's kind of sound that was just great on stage. Not a ton of lows but that's good in a stage monitor some times. My DI drove the house.
4mal

Return to AMPLIFICATION