SWR Baby Blue Monitor Clone - DONE

Rig talk.

SWR Baby Blue Monitor Clone - DONE

Postby Ben Esparza » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 pm

I finally broke down and built the SWR Baby Blue Monitor Clone that I've been putting off. I used as much information as I could to build it. I had the dimensions, I bought the exact drivers that go into that cab, I bought the majority of the parts at Reliable Hardware. The drivers are 2 Celestion BG8-60 8" woofers. They are 8 ohms for a total of 4 ohms in the cab. The tweeter is a Bag End 5" cone tweeter...not cheap. I bought the woofers from Steve Azola. I used 5/8" 9-ply Baltic Birch.

I had several questions about the crossover network and got a lot of information that seemed very foreign to me; mainly due to my lack of knowledge. If found this Dayton Audio 2-way Crossover at Parts Express. Crossing the tweeter at 2K Hz was upon the advise of Don at Low Down Sound. What attracted me to the crossover was it has an 8-ohm/4-ohm option. I could not find any other ones that were not 8 ohms.

Sorry I don't have any pics of the actual build. Between PL Premium adhesive all over my fingers, saw dust EVERYWHERE (always avoid "plumber's crack" when working with wood), and the desire to get stuff done, I didn't really find it feasible to pull out the digital camera at every move. I did use clamps, 1" - 18g brad nails to a minimum, and lots of drywall screws to set eveything in place. Being a woodworking purist, I later removed the drywall screws, drilled out the holes, and glued in birch dowels. Unnecessary...yes; OCD...definitely! Being that the stock cab was made with 3/4 inch plywood, I used 1 - 2" wide brace across from side-to-side and 2 - 2" braces from the baffle to the back panel. This makes for a lighter, yet monolithic cab. Unlike the stock cab, I did not make a recessed compartment for the tweeter. I kept the baffle flat and made a 2" deep box out of the plywood for the tweeter a la fEarful's design for their mid driver. This increased the internal woofer area volume by about 5 cubic inches...not really a bad thing. Again being OCD, I routed rabbets and dados to fit all the pieces together and pre-drilled holes for the screws. My way of thinking is the dado/rabbet increases the amount of surface area with the adhesive for a firmer, more permanent bond. YMMV The PL adhesive really bonds when dry and it took about 2 weeks to get all the dried glue "smegma" off my hands.

Sound-wise, it sounds just as good as my original SWR BB Monitor and seems to handle the low B a little better...probably due to the increased internal volume. I like it and have used it for a couple of band rehearsals powered by my GK MBE 150 Head. Now if only I can find a Baby Blue II to pair it up with, I'd be in small amp heaven.

Last edited by Ben Esparza on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Re: SWR Baby Blue Monitor Clone - DONE

Postby ghiadub » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Nice work Ben. That looks tight.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby bigfatbass » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Really nice job Ben, and tight was the exact same word I was thinking.

Have you messed around with tubing the port at all? I would think a nice open space box like that would have a lot of range for tuning, too.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby Ben Esparza » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm

bigfatbass wrote:Have you messed around with tubing the port at all? I would think a nice open space box like that would have a lot of range for tuning, too.

I went with the stock diameter of the original SWR Baby Blue II/Baby Blue Monitor port. Didn't want to stray too far from the formula.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Looks (and sounds) like you did a pro construction job!

Hard to tell on my laptop monitor
but the thread hangin' on the back shot leads me to believe it's carpeted, not truckbed liner?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Ben Esparza » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 pm

GonzoBass wrote:Hard to tell on my laptop monitor but the thread hangin' on the back shot leads me to believe it's carpeted, not truckbed liner?

Yep, it's carpeted. Easier to hide flaws with carpet. Didn't want to deal with seals around the speaker flanges.
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby 57RIP » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Great work Ben!
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Ben Esparza » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Here are some pics of the original:

- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Wow, that is impressive [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Great job!
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby basswinn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Very cool Ben. You're much more patient than I.
basswinn

Postby Jerry » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 am

I like the way yours looks better than the original.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Gil Escalera » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Jerry wrote:I like the way yours looks better than the original.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Gil Escalera wrote:
Jerry wrote:I like the way yours looks better than the original.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Me too. It has that clean Epifani vibe. I really dig it.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby ghiadub » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:34 pm

I just picked up one of these on a trade. Its the first version (#007) with all bag end drivers. Built like a tank, I played it at my gig last night and it really did a great job.

Tight and no trouble at an outdoor gig with a loud PA (no drums) I used the GK MB200 head and had power to spare. Its even 8ohms.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Return to AMPLIFICATION