Pile O' The Green

Rig talk.

Pile O' The Green

Postby Sloom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:33 pm

The Comando 15, a 150 watter, is a great amp! Wow, that little sealed box does deliver a great big punch. Passive tone-thing, deep/mid/treble toggles, fx loop and line-out. Fits nicely on a small am stand for friendly monitoring. It's my regular gig-box now.

The GP7SM preamp (both the GP7SM and the GP12 SMX are AH250 heads here) is a good deal different that the GP12SMX... the 12-band SMX version is considerably more detailed- it's a lot more tonally 'sculptable'- than the 7-band GP7SM. That may also be due in part to the 2-band compressor on the SMX, which is a great angle on compression.

And yet, the GP7 has an appeal in its simpler feature-set. It's a more straight-up, sinus-resonating "Trace Elliot Sound", that is hard to get away from. If you like it, it's great! Definitely has the real-deal character thing going for it, and I'm starting to dig the idea of an amplifier having its own texture to offer to your own personal voice.

This is the stuff that works for me these days, just thought I'd do a little show n' tell.
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Pile O' The Green

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Nice family. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I just recently gave my old TE rig to a bass player in need. It was an AH250 GP12 SMX head and a 1514 cab. Here's a mock-up from images grabbed off of the internet:

My_old_TE_(mock-up).jpg
AH250GP12SMX / 1514

This was my rig for many years. The 4 ohm 1x15 bottom slotted cab is really punchy. As tight on the high end as a 4x10 but deeper on the low end.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:18 am

Nice. Simple rig like that is enough to hold its own anywhere, it seems to me. Esp the 4 ohm cab- and a single-15... pretty hefty! A real gem of a rig your friend got; that'll get you into Heaven, right there! [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Paul DeLano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:53 pm

I love the Trace stuff. For years my main rig was a AH350SMX with a 4x10 and an 1810. LOUD! and clear, but heavy as hell. I sold that to the owner of the studio where we record and he still uses it when he plays live.
Now I have a RAH600SMX on a 4x10 and 1x18 as my backup rig, and I still dig into that once in a while 'cause I just love the tone.

Hmmmm... may just have to go fire that baby up now.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby Sloom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Trace Elliot people never really get over it... [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Muziekschuur » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Lookin for an 8x10 gp11 combo owner. Mine is missing soms bits...
Muziekschuur

Return to AMPLIFICATION