New Speaker coming today!!

Rig talk.

Re: New Speaker coming today!!

Postby Freddels » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:09 am

Here's the pic I saw of the size comparison.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachmen ... 1333844146
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Passinwind » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:12 pm

ghiadub wrote:I think the main difference between this and the 12" is that it almost has twice the perceived volume thanks to more paper and more movement at the cone.

I might have that wrong, I will invite Duke to this thread when he gets back home. He is out of town right now and has limited access.

I think it's actually something more like 3dB greater sensitivity (so you only need half the power to get equally loud), but the other big differences are in the lower crossover point and the spiffier compression driver the 15 inch variants use. I haven't heard any of the 115s yet, but my 112AF continues to make me quite happy.

Duke's a great guy and I really enjoyed hanging out with him the couple of times we've gotten together. You can always post questions or comments on his own forum: AudioKinesis on AudioCircle.
Passinwind

Postby ghiadub » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks Charlie for correcting me and for initally pointing me to this speaker and to Duke. He is truly a great guy to deal with.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:55 pm

oooh nice, me want one! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Update:
I have been gigging this thing with a few different configurations and it really is amazing. I played Friday night with a loud drummer in a packed club and it handled it with headroom to spare.
I almost feel bad pounding it with the ST900, but it shockingly just takes it. Great for effects too, the mid and tweeter really let the effects shine thru.

I think I might like the walkabout with it better though. Time will tell. I need to get the walkabout out to a gig instead of just my bedroom.

Bottom line is that this thing sounds HUGE, way bigger and more low lows than almost anything short of a 6x10 or an uber efficient 4x10" and its a one hand carry.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Passinwind » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:32 am

ghiadub wrote: I almost feel bad pounding it with the ST900, but it shockingly just takes it. Great for effects too, the mid and tweeter really let the effects shine thru.

I think I might like the walkabout with it better though. Time will tell. I need to get the walkabout out to a gig instead of just my bedroom.

I generally use a 1000 watt power amp with my TC112, albeit with DSP limiting and high pass filtering. I have also used a Carvin 500 watter a number of times pretty happily. A friend has a Walkabout and we compared it to my DIY amp rig when he was contemplating buying a Thunderchild 112 (which he did). The fan noise really bugged me a lot, but we were able to get the Walkabout to sound nearly identical until it ran out of headroom, which was at a volume I could gig with in many cases, I think. It's always a little tough to know just on the strength of home listening though, eh? In any case, your 115 is a good bit more sensitive, and I'll bet it'll be a pretty nice match with the Walkabout.
Passinwind

Postby ghiadub » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:01 pm

I had a outdoor gig with the TC15AF cab last weekend it was pretty impressive for a single cab. I really have grown to love the sound. It can be very clean, too clean, but I have gotten better at controlling it.

I also have been using a GK MB Fusion (500 watts). It gets me a lot closer to the walkabout in terms of grit when I dig in.

That, and the extra wattage are put to good use. This speaker can take quite a lot.

I played the first set with all the back ports plugged, then pulled them all for the second set.

I like the option of filtering off the lows by making it a sealed cab, but outside it was nice to have them there.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Previous

Return to AMPLIFICATION