New Speaker coming today!!

Rig talk.

New Speaker coming today!!

Postby ghiadub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 am

I picked up one of these, very cool bass cabs and the green and white truck should drop it today.

I will be gigging with it for the next couple of weeks then writing a review here.
Thunderchild 115

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: New Speaker coming today!!

Postby Freddels » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am

I just got back from a friend's house. He has the Thunderchild 12 and he uses a Genz Streamliner 600 with it. It was absolutely beautiful sounding. So clear. I am really considering getting one of these. I would love to hear more about the 15.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 am

I think the main difference between this and the 12" is that it almost has twice the percieved volume thanks to more paper and more movement at the cone.

I might have that wrong, I will invite Duke to this thread when he gets back home. He is out of town right now and has limited access.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Does the 15 have the tweeter in the back like the 12AF?
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:39 pm

It comes with or without the back tweeter. its an option. The AF means acoustic friendly. mine will have the tweeter.

I call it drummer friendly :)

I dont do a lot of double bass, which is what it is supposed to be for, but I do a lot of low volume gigs which it should help with.

It is supposed to fill out the room a little more and provide some reflection

I have not been up and down the TB thread, but I think the giant horn in the front of the cab is more of a midrange or it at least goes down to where tweeters fear to tread.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Everything I know about it is that Duke is known for his cross-overs and the frequencies from the speaker to the horn are supposed to be very smooth. I played the Thunderchild 12 today with the Streamliner 600 and it was extremely clear sounding. I don't know how it would do for a rock or blues gig but I did like it. I suppose that if you wanted some grit or whatever, you'd have to add it as it won't come from the cab. But that's ok. Not sure I'd need the 15 as I would like to use it for jazz type gigs with my 6 string Pedulla.
Freddels

Postby Freddels » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet?

It must be there b/c you're not posting. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:59 pm

LOL. Ya it came. I was hosting a share while I built up some servers, so it had to sit for a few mins before I could crank it up.

WOW. Smooth does not begin to describe the highs on this thing. I normally hate bass cab tweeters and turn them off. Not this one. Very musical.

Overall the cab sounds a little scoopy, but all my other cabs have a mid bump (bag eng, GK) so that makes sense.

Low end is there in truckloads. It took the full force of my streamliner 900 with the sadowsky low B and the bass pre up halfway without any indication of farting. Pretty amazing considering it is a 4ohm, 500 watt cab.

I will say that is it power hungry and not as efficient as some cabs, but that is a non issue with the ST900.

I will be taking it out on the town for some gigs tonight and over the next few weeks to get a feel for it and break in the 15, but it passed the bedroom test with flying colors.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 pm

I usually turn off the tweeters too but the 12 I played today was just smooth (like you said). There was no high gank just more clear. It would take a little getting used to and some different EQ'ing to get what you're used to hearing. I may have to try to come up with some $$ and order one of these.
Freddels

Postby 57RIP » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am

I've played through Passinwind's 12 AF and it may be the best cab I've ever heard for anything shy of flat out rock ' n roll of the variety where clarity and open-ness aren' t necessarily your best friends.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby ghiadub » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:46 am

#1 TC as PA

Before last nights gig I was playing thru the GB ST900 and the TC, and thought I would try putting my iPod thru the aux in on the streamliner. Ok, this might be the best, cleanest, most transparent speaker ever.

My band usually plays thru a couple of Bose L1s, while they are far from perfect sound, acoustic guitar, keys, and vocals generally sound great and there are no dead spots and we don't need monitors. I should also note that we don't play very loud, even when we have drums. Also that I would never put bass thru them, it just does not work.

So last nights was a "boat gig" playing in the bar at the delta king in old sacramento. Small room, low ceiling, open on one side and a round corner of windows on the other. We were back against the round corner (i.e.: the front of the boat). We generally have to keep things small when playing here and don't bring drums.

I decided to offer up the TC and my Genz as a PA, and we just ran keys, guitar, and vocals thru a mixer and into the aux of the Genz. Bass ran thru the input like it always should.

So, to the point, it was awesome. It sounded better than the bose and it sat on the floor. I would say that It defies the laws of physics, but I am pretty sure Duke used those laws to design this.

So, to summarize, we ran Guitar, Bass, 3 part vocals, and keys thru my bass amp with a single 15" cab on the floor and it sounded clean and clear all over the room.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Did you get the 15 wide or the 15 compact?
Freddels

Postby hmagman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Ok, you guys got my attention... [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] more info please.
Harry
hmagman

Postby Freddels » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:08 pm

I just saw pics of the 12, 15 wide, and 15 compact next to each other. The 15 wide looks huge next to the 12.
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:03 pm

This is the 15 compact with the tweeter on back. I forgot to mention this is only about 40 lbs. 1 trip load in on the boat gig, basses on my back, amp around my neck, my mandolin in one hand and this in the other.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION