2 cabs 1 head

Rig talk.

2 cabs 1 head

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 pm

So here is the question, is it better to run 2 seperate speaker cables from your amp, 1 to each cabinet, or go into 1 cabinet then from the cabinet into the next?

I have a couple of different head and cabinet combinations:

First off I have a MB Little Mark II, I use it with 2 Aguilar 12 inch cabinets. They are 8 ohm cabinets, and I have
always gone into the first cabinet, then from the cabinet into the next. Is running them this way taking advantage of the 4 ohm load and increasing the amp power or do I need to run seperate speaker cables to each?

Next I have a Ampeg Micro SVT...the nicer one not the new black one. It is 150 watts with one cab and 200 with a second. Well, I recently picked up a second cabinet on clearance from GC...I just ran both cabs right to the head...it's definitely louder....or should I go amp-cab-cab? BTW I don't think this little amp gets the props it deserves, it has a really great sound and can get suprisingly loud when pushed even with the one cabinet, I have been using it for practice with a new band I just joined...the second cab allows me to back off on the volume quite a bit.

I also have a GK 1001rb I will throw in the mix at some point with either set of those cabs....I have also been running the MB LMII with the 2 Ampeg cabinets...those little 2/10s are so light and easy to move.

Thanks for your help....advice...opinions.

BTW my name has changed...I was Grizzly...now I am back to Dr. Greenthumb...I was Dr.G way back in the day when babp first started..and from the pit...I switched to grizzly
cause my woman wanted me too...her name for me....but we have since divorced in Apil of this year, so grizzly kinda pissed me off now and has gone off to the taxadermist(how the hell do you spell that). Thanks Pete for switching me back.
Mike
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Re: 2 cabs 1 head

Postby Freddels » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 am

It shouldn't matter whether you run the cabs off the head or daisy chain them so long as you don't go below the ohm rating of your amp.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 am

Hey Mike! Good to see you again Mr. Greenthumb. ;)

In short: What Fred (Freddels) said.

Most, and when I say most I mean like in the high 90 percentile, of the speaker jacks on amp heads and speaker cabs are wired in parallel. That simply means the (+)'s are wired together and the (-)'s are wired together, therefore it's the same signal. In this configuration it doesn't matter whether you run individual cables from the head to each cab or if you run the cables from cab-to-cab. Whatever is most convenient is what most people tend to do.

The other method of wiring cabs is in series. Think of flashlight batteries where we run the batteries (+) to (-) with one another and ultimately have the (-) of the first battery go to the light bulb and the (+) of the last battery go to the light bulb. It can get tricky as it involves "breaking" the signal in order to run the wiring (+) to (-), calls for different wiring on the jacks, etc. For this reason series wiring isn't very favorable or popular.

I'm pretty certain that all the cabs and heads you listed above follow the standard parallel wiring, so no worries either way. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif] Thanks guys..I appreciate the help. I know the ampeg cabs are wired parallel, I was looking at the owners manual. I am sure the others are too.
Thanks again.
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Return to AMPLIFICATION