Small combo comparison

Rig talk.

Small combo comparison

Postby jim.i » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:10 am

I'm thinking about downsizing to a small combo, with option to add a second cab if louder/fuller sound needed. The GK MB112, MB150, and GB Shuttle 3.0-10T all are good possibilities. Don't need lots of features, i'm pretty much set-and-forget, and don't need low-B ability -only play 4 string. Thoughts/comments/comparisons would be welcome, thanks.
Jim
jim.i

Re: Small combo comparison

Postby bigfatbass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 am

I'll always go single 12 over single 10, for almost any spot. I just think the extra paper makes for a more forgiving sound, and can just fill a room better when I need it to. I'm jonesing for the new fearful design 112 wedge with a slot for my streamliner 900. Should only weigh about 50lbs, and if I add a second 12, or a nice 15, I can crush any venue.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby jim.i » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Sounds good, but i don't need that kind of power, venues are small coffeehouse/house concert type of settings.

bigfatbass wrote:I'll always go single 12 over single 10, for almost any spot. I just think the extra paper makes for a more forgiving sound, and can just fill a room better when I need it to. I'm jonesing for the new fearful design 112 wedge with a slot for my streamliner 900. Should only weigh about 50lbs, and if I add a second 12, or a nice 15, I can crush any venue.
jim.i

Postby 57RIP » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I use the mb200 head and a pair of custom 1x10's, no tweeters. The cabs are based on a Mojo Sonic I had for a while. One of the cabs is an 'airhead' the head slips inside. Cables are stored behind with a clever hatch setup that also works as a kick back. Super useful. Super portable. Volume limited do to a fairly deep tuning. Still it get's loud enough for a lot of the gigs I do.

I have played through both the mb112 amd mb115 combos and thought they were pretty good. I guess I mean 'for the dough'. They aren't going to compete in the hi end but they do punch well above their weight class. Good values i think. I do hear that opening the cab up and adding some stuffing is a good idea with those amps.

As far as 10's v 12's. Driver size is a lot less important than getting cab design right for the driver. Basically, in the right cab a 10 can out-perform a 12 housed in a less well designed cab. Currently I own cabs with 10's, 12's and 15's. They are all well designed and built customs. When you line 'em up, they all have their own thing going on. I can see a good 12 being 'it' for a lot of folks. If i had to pick... It would probably be something based on a 12. Glad I don't have to though [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Last edited by 57RIP on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby ghiadub » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:42 pm

I will be checking out the new GK combos, I am thinking of the 112 with a powered 12 would get me most gigs with power to spare. I am still using the current model 112 (200 watts) at some smaller club gigs and it does not go past 11 o cl0ck on the volume for the most part. But I don't generally play very loud FWIW
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 am

I'm using the GK MB112 here.

Works perfect for the sit down duo casuals
but can also handle the louder gigs with a drummer/keys/guitar/vocals.
and carries in one hand.

I understand the new black model fixes the XLR design flaw too.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple