Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Rig talk.

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby harleyyy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Jerry wrote:The one thing I found disappointing about the STLs, was the bag. The zippers on mine fell apart pretty quickly, so I went back to carrying them around in laptop bags.


I heard of one other zipper issue. My two bags are ok. I'll pass that on Jerry, thanks.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
Image
User avatar
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum
 
Location: Bad Ass, Ca
Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby Jerry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:03 pm

harleyyy wrote:
Jerry wrote:The one thing I found disappointing about the STLs, was the bag. The zippers on mine fell apart pretty quickly, so I went back to carrying them around in laptop bags.


I heard of one other zipper issue. My two bags are ok. I'll pass that on Jerry, thanks.


Not a big deal at all Pete, I'm really hard on stuff....even my 8 month old Lull-P-bass is beat to shit already. If you ever see my selling something here even in "good" condition.....I'm fucking lying! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
User avatar
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound
 
Location: Hawaii
Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby harleyyy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Jerry wrote:
harleyyy wrote:
Jerry wrote:The one thing I found disappointing about the STLs, was the bag. The zippers on mine fell apart pretty quickly, so I went back to carrying them around in laptop bags.


I heard of one other zipper issue. My two bags are ok. I'll pass that on Jerry, thanks.


Not a big deal at all Pete, I'm really hard on stuff....even my 8 month old Lull-P-bass is beat to shit already. If you ever see my selling something here even in "good" condition.....I'm fucking lying! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]


HA!!!
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
Image
User avatar
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum
 
Location: Bad Ass, Ca
Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:36 am

[smilie=lol.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Image

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
User avatar
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer
 
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:29 am

Jerry wrote:
harleyyy wrote:Not a big deal at all Pete, I'm really hard on stuff....even my 8 month old Lull-P-bass is beat to shit already. If you ever see my selling something here even in "good" condition.....I'm fucking lying! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]



Mental note has been filed away if I see you selling anything in the future that gets my attention! I tend to be pretty hard on my stuff also. Basses and other equipment are just tools and all that.

Gonz, the Hoyt is not "en route". I think Sandy has put a crimp in the NE US shipping schedule. But check this out. This is how cool Karl Hoyt is. I told him some things I wanted in a bass. As luck would have it, he has a very light bass that just may fit my needs. So he's going to put the finishing touches on a bass he already has built and ship the bass to me to check out. If I like the bass itself, I'll send it back to him for some modifications that I am looking for in a bass. Well, one mod, really. But I've said too much. You'll have to wait.

I am very excited, to say the least, to be able to check out one of his basses with the option of getting a mod done to my specs. It's pretty cool. And IMO, the price is very reasonable for a handmade, custom bass with top-of-the-line components. Remember, I'm a cheap bastard!

The STL900 was used last night as a preamp. I only used the tube gain to add some grit. We use a Mackie 1608 board. The 1608's have an IPad app that allows an IPad to be wirelss mixer. Plenty of tone shaping options with the 1608. I use the IPad for EQing and a little compression. With the STL adding a little tube grit, I was very happy! I'm going to experiment more and try using the EQ section on the STL on future gigs.

The STL also sounded really good through the little GK 1x12's I have. The trick is to turn the Bass knob down to about 10:00 or even 9:00. I, honestly, couldn't find a bad tone on this thing. But trust me, if there'sa bad tone there, I'll find it!! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Oh, and Pete: The best part about this whole transaaction was NO RAISED EYEBROWS! Thansk bro'! I add a little plug for Pete and say that he's got some nice prices on the GB gear. If I get more GB stuff, it'll be through Pete. Again, I'm a cheap bastard!!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby harleyyy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:23 am

Mr. Mom wrote:
Jerry wrote: The trick is to turn the Bass knob down to about 10:00 or even 9:00. I, honestly, couldn't find a bad tone on this thing. But trust me, if there'sa bad tone there, I'll find it!! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Oh, and Pete: The best part about this whole transaaction was NO RAISED EYEBROWS! Thansk bro'! I add a little plug for Pete and say that he's got some nice prices on the GB gear. If I get more GB stuff, it'll be through Pete. Again, I'm a cheap bastard!!


*cough*
"I have to back the bass eq to about 10"oclock on the Streamliner."

Thanks Bruce [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
Image
User avatar
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum
 
Location: Bad Ass, Ca
Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Re: Opinions Wanted: GB STL900 vs. Shuttle 9.0

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm digging this head. Definitey has a "sound" to it so prolly not for everybody.

I used it as a pre going right into the board. No EQing on the board except for a little compression. Bass alllll the way off. Mid set at 220 and at about 3:00. Treble around 9:30-ish. Sounded quite good out front through two powered Carvin 15/1's. The Carvins are *meh* but they are very durable and paid for.

The STL also sounds great through those little GK 1x12's, IMO. And it fits in my gig bag!! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Overall I'm a VERY happy little bass player. Best purchase I've made in quite some time. Is it a keeper? For a normal person it would be........... [smilie=fun_84.gif]
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Previous

Return to AMPLIFICATION



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest