Acoustic 150b

Rig talk.

Acoustic 150b

Postby Billhw13 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 am

This past weekend, I was invited to play with a guy who was one of Albert King's keyboard players. In his music room, he pointed to an old Acoustic amp and told me that I was to be playing thru one of Alberts old amps. Cool! I've never used an Acoustic before, but kinda enjoyed playing the 78 P thru this thing...volume, bass, and treble knobs..that's it! and it sounded good!
Anyone using the new acoustic stuff?
Billhw13

Re: Acoustic 150b

Postby steveonbass » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm

150b sounds good and you can probably score one for about 150 bucks. issue with the 150b is wattage - not much
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Agreed! I used to front an act as a singer [smilie=vomit-smiley-007.gif] and the bass player used a 150 through a passive 360 cabinet that someone had made for him.
It kicked serious butt!
Rob Francis

Postby 57RIP » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Played through a couple of the new combos... Was not impressed even a little. mixed a punk band who used the 8x10 monster for keyboard bass. I did everything I could to salvage some tone for the guy but I couldn't get over the top of the mids without killing people on the room. That setup was extremely loud but very mid rangey.

The new acoustic doesn't seem to have much in common with the old acoustic except baby blue accents...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 am

Saw Big bad Albert often in the 80's. Once I was up front, only a few feet from his Acoustic amp. Deafening!
MickeyOne

Postby Billhw13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 am

New ones are midrangey? I didn't get that impression on the 150 model...which looks to be from 1970 or so. I didn't spend much time playing around with the amp (I was more interested in the folks I was playing with that day) but I can tell you I hit the 'bright' switch was quickly turned that off...put the bass know around 1:00 and the treble around 10 or 11:00 and that was about it...it was a big, deep tone that sounded cool when I dug in with that P bass grind.
Billhw13

Postby 57RIP » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Well yeah, the old acoustic 150b was one thing... The new ones are not the same...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Freddels » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:00 am

The new ones that GC sells are not even close to the original in sound or build. They just stuck the name on them. If you're talking about the new Acoustic amps that are/were being made by some guy (I can't remember his name) that is trying to bring back the original Acoustic Amps and they sell for the price of a car, then that might be different. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Return to AMPLIFICATION