Postby randall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:41 am

Who can hip me to Mark Bass?
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Re: Mark Bass

Postby Telebass » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 am

That would be me, then!

I've used a CMD121H combo for the last 6 years. Rarely fails to gain me complements for sound. This combo has a Little Mark II as its amplifier. Nothing over complex, always been easy to dial in a good sound. This combo is just shy of 40lbs, and with the home-brew extension, 75lbs for the whole rig.

As of right now, I'm adding a second rig. This consists of a Little Mark III, which is the same amp as the II, but with pre-post eq switching, and variable line-out, which has already proven useful. The cabinet for this rig is being custom built. It's a Barefaced Bass Super 15 2x15. Now, this sounds like a recipe for weight, but this second rig will be 20lbs LIGHTER, although the 2x15 is a bit bulkier to move. Has built-in castors. At 103dB @1W@1m, this is a ridiculously loud cabinet, so sensitive that you could do a rock gig with a 150W amp head. So the 500W from the Markbass is going to shift some serious air. I would have got a Markbass 2x15, but a) they are much heavier, and b) they are rear-ported, as is the combo, and c) they discontinued it anyway! The BF is front-ported, which means there's less of a problem with cabinet location.

I find the LMII and III to be reliable, simple and transparent amps. What you hear, allowing for cabinet, of course, is you and your bass.
Fender MIM P Std, 2004, black, all-maple American Special Jazz neck, USA p/u (P bitsa)
Squier VM 70s Jazz, Natural.
Markbass CMD121H & Traveler 151P.
Telebass

Location: Tavistock, Devon, UK - on the wrong side of the Tamar...

Postby bdgotoh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 am

In general I agree with the above, I would just say that you should buy with a warranty. MB is made in Italy and in the past had very poor repair options, I assume that's still true. GC would just give you a new one under warranty and throw the old one away rather than ship it to Italy for repair. If you buy used and it fails...

I've had an LMII for years and it sounds great and plugs along fine. Mine sounds good through a variety of different cabs, its mostly used with a Berg EX112/HT115 stack.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby randall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 pm

I mixed sound for a band last night. The bass player had a Mark Bass 500w head into a 15" and a 2x10. And it was loud. I had to ask him to turn down twice to get it reined in. And it was light. He let me pick it up during load out. I was surprised how light it was. How is this accomplished?
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby bdgotoh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Could have been an F1, those things are tiny and light - about like a thick book. They use class D switching power amps like all the high power mini heads these days (GB Shuttle, GK MB series, etc). Nice amp, I'm not sure why they stopped making it. I have one and it sounds a little different than the LMII, a little cleaner with a faster attack.

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=82
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:01 pm

After they came out I owned two LMII's. Both sounded great but both had issues.

First on had a faulty Master Volume. Would cut out around noon or 1:00. So I returned it no questions asked to GC (where I had purchased it) and got another. That one crapped out on me soon after on a gig. Kept blowing fuses. GC refunded me the money and I never looked back.

If they have improved their QC, then it's a great amp. But I'll never own one again. Fool me once....

The MB cabs I've tried all sound a little "choked/muffled" for me. But tone is purely subjective. And I've never played the cabs in a live situation.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:58 pm

I still have a few Markbass heads, 500 and 800 and never had a problem but after the Streamliner 900 , forget about it. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Freddels » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 pm

I have the CMD102P 2x10 combo and have done many gigs with it. My favorite combo is the Berlin combo (with no tweeter).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 am

Freddels wrote:I have the CMD102P 2x10 combo and have done many gigs with it. My favorite combo is the Berlin combo (with no tweeter).

I have been sifting through a bunch of Jeff Berlin YT videos where he is playing through his 1x15 MB combo - Sounds good in the videos. I would like to demo one. My LMS has a buncha other used MB stuff including the CMD102P which I've played around with and it to my ears produces a very clean/sterile tone (reminds me of SWR stuff). It isn't my cup of tea but yeah plenty of power and as earlier posts state, tone is purely subjective. With the exception of one of my buds who moved away from his MB rig to an SVT/610, a few others are fans and regularly gig their MB gear.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Happy Face » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 am

Randall, if you want to go down the ultra-lite path, check out the pair of Epifani cabs I listed on Maine CL yesterday.

But I don't believe that light weight = better sound.
Happy Face

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 am

Happy Face wrote:Randall, if you want to go down the ultra-lite path, check out the pair of Epifani cabs I listed on Maine CL yesterday.

But I don't believe that light weight = better sound.

And check out the Genz-Benz stuff. Oranges and apples, but I much prefer the sound I get out of the GB line of amps. My STL 900 is quite the beast and my Shuttle 6 was a great amp also. And I can say from persoanl experience that Pete has some pretty darn nice prices for GB products. Worth a looksy.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Freddels » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 am

Rhian Batson wrote:
Freddels wrote:I have the CMD102P 2x10 combo and have done many gigs with it. My favorite combo is the Berlin combo (with no tweeter).

I have been sifting through a bunch of Jeff Berlin YT videos where he is playing through his 1x15 MB combo - Sounds good in the videos. I would like to demo one. My LMS has a buncha other used MB stuff including the CMD102P which I've played around with and it to my ears produces a very clean/sterile tone (reminds me of SWR stuff). It isn't my cup of tea but yeah plenty of power and as earlier posts state, tone is purely subjective. With the exception of one of my buds who moved away from his MB rig to an SVT/610, a few others are fans and regularly gig their MB gear.

When I was looking to get a Markbass combo, I took my 6 string Roscoe with me. I was intending to get the Berlin combo but comparing it with the 2x10 combo, I found the 2x10 to be able to handle the low B a little better. It seemed to go deeper. I have since disconnected the tweeter in the combo since there's no attenuator on the combo models. I really like the size and weight of the 112 combo but it sounds a little boxy to me with electric bass. I like the bigger markbass cabs.

One of my favorite amps (right now) is the Aguilar Tonehammer 500. I really like this amp.

As for the Genz stuff, Fender has shelved the Genz products. So, if a dealer doesn't have it in stock, the supply might be limited to whatever is completed in the production line.
Freddels

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

Freddels wrote:
As for the Genz stuff, Fender has shelved the Genz products. So, if a dealer doesn't have it in stock, the supply might be limited to whatever is completed in the production line.

No sh*t. I had no idea. You mean no GB products are being made?
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Freddels » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

Mr. Mom wrote:
Freddels wrote:

Talk to Pete.
Freddels

Postby harleyyy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 am

Freddels wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:
Freddels wrote:

Talk to Pete.

Pete doesn't know anything more than what's been publicly discussed elsewhere. My KMC rep hasn't revealed anything to me.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION