Frequency Analyzation Question

Rig talk.

Frequency Analyzation Question

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:42 am

Mal? Passinwind? Anybody??

When you smart guys analyze freq's, what kind of signal do you input tot he analyzer? Pink noise? White noise? Plaid noise?

Another question I have: The Wife updated out phones and I went from an old "flip" phone to an iPhone 5. SWEET! Downloaded a freg analyzer app. But really, how accurate is it if it's using that little mic the iPhone comes with?? I mean, it's still better than my ears but do they take into account the iPhone mic when they made the app? This is the one I downloaded.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Frequency Analyzation Question

Postby hmagman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 am

I think Gil can help you on this question...
Harry
hmagman

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

hmagman wrote:I think Gil can help you on this question...

Hopefully this thread will catch his attention!

YO! Gil!!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 pm

I use my ears which are generally very sensitive unless my wife is talking about furniture or gardening in which case I seem to be blissfully deaf [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] Charlie uses high tech gizmos and we keep talking about getting together and sweeping a cab so's I get to learn and stop bugging him but somehow, bugging him seems easier...

To be more specific, I use bass noise, not white, pink or plaid... In this respect at least, I am very low tech...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Just came across this.

I use Real Time Analyzers (RTA) for audio frequencies all the time, especially when running or setting up p.a. systems. Depending upon "what" I am analyzing/tuning determines "which" signal source I use (i.e. sine wave, stepped sweep, continuous sine sweep, chirp, pink noise, white noise, delay test signal, polarity test signal, etc.).

If you are trying to measure or correct [flatten] the audible frequency range of 20Hz - 20,000Hz coming through a speaker box then you would want to use a pink noise source. When you send the pink noise through the speaker then you will need to read the output with a calibrated microphone. A calibrated microphone has a very flat frequency response typically from 10Hz - 25,000Hz. The calibrated mic needs to be plugged into an audio frequency Real Time Analyzer to show you where the peaks and valleys are.

The SPL meter apps for smartphones are a nice basic reference for reading how loud things are [kinda]. However, they are no where near the accuracy needed for making an analysis let alone as the reference for corrections.

Hope this helps. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Return to AMPLIFICATION