Revisiting the Sansamp Bass Driver DI

Rig talk.

Revisiting the Sansamp Bass Driver DI

Postby Billhw13 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am

I've used the Bass Driver DI on and off over the years, mainly just keeping it in the gig bag for emergencies, because I never took the time to really understand what it could do. (I'm simple...or lazy..)
This past week, I picked up a QSC power amp and decided to drive it directly with the BDDI. Found the the 'blend' control is really, really important to not having a tone that is super mid-scooped - which doesn't work for me. Many other cool tones in there too. I like it a lot! I think part of the appeal to me, is that when I connect it to the power amp directly, I have less knobs and EQ's to fiddle with and I can quickly get a good sound. I don't know why the manual's sample settings always has the blend control to completely wet - that's definitively not the way to go for me.

Anyone else use this pedal directly into a power amp ?
Billhw13

Re: Revisiting the Sansamp Bass Driver DI

Postby nolabass » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 am

I think the older models like mine wont drive an amp very well. The newer models have a boost switch i believe. I have used mine on most gigs for a loooooong time.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Billhw13 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 am

Pete,
Yep - the newer models have two level switches, one for the 1/4" output and another for the XLR output. The switches determine the output level....either line level or instrument level (i.e to feed into the preamp of your bass amp). It's a great feature, because I set the 1/4" output to Live level and send the signal to both channels of the power amp. done!
Where do you keep the blend knob at? Full on, or rolled back ?
Billhw13

Postby nolabass » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 am

I'm full on with the blend, boost the presence and highs.......flat bass and I push drive to 2oclock or where it breaks up only when i dig in a little. Too much and it squashes out when i get excited. But I'm playing either old nickels or flats most the time. Then I'll EQ at the amp......so your variables are bound to be very different.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 pm

I just used mine the other night at rehearsal. It has been a while since I busted out my pedal board. I forgot how much this little box adds. Great sound with my Streamliner 900 and Berg cab.

Sent from my iPhone
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 pm

One of my favorite tools both as a bassist and as a soundman. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 am

Great pre for sure! I often use the original SansAmp (the one with all the dip switches) as a pre with my powered Berg. Sounds amazing. Great stuff.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Billhw13 wrote:Anyone else use this pedal directly into a power amp ?

IIRC many years ago on the fender forum there was one guy who did exactly that and swore by them. Also, he'd use it and go straight into the board/PA. He said he would never leave the house without one. Can't remember the guy's handle. Pedro maybe? I was never a fan (too scooped for me) so I haven't tried one in a gigging situation to find out. Best of luck to you [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Billhw13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 am

Hey Rhian,
I think the BDDI sounds better going direct into the power amp, but also agree it can get very mid-scooped. In a recent gig, I did feel like my mids were lost in the mix of the band, so I've been tweaking the controls and have found that if I put all the knobs at 12:00, including (and most importantly) the BLEND, that sounds best to my ears...will give that a try at the next gig. I think the blend is the key to the getting the right balance with that box. It's really a great little tool to play with!
Billhw13

Postby pbassplayer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 pm

i use mine all the time,great when your using a sound company's stage rig...
pbassplayer

Return to AMPLIFICATION