Rig talk.

Ampeg V-4B reissue

Postby Freddels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Anyone been following this?

|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Re: Ampeg V-4B reissue

Postby nolabass » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:05 am

Hmmm, kinda makes me smile but........ The price has to be close to a vintage one, say $600 to make it happen. Made in China I expect a nice price, If it's 1K+ there's no reason to buy one. Plus I just can't make one do my gigs without an 8/10 cab. If I gonna haul an 8/10 I'm gonna haul the SVT. Do any of you guys really use one to gig now days? Micing it wouldn't count IMO. If I was gonna mic it I would just use a B15. Great living room amp but not my choice to gig with. If I could get $600 for my 60s v4 I might just let it go......lol.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:22 am

Tubes sound good in a good listening environment, but I rarely play in anything like that. Small, portable bass rigs have come so far now, that I just can't justify the size or hassle of tubes rigs any more.

But yeah, I did sit up and take notice. If I was going to look at something like this, I'd have to do a head-to-head comparison with the new Fender Bassman rigs.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:47 am

The price is about $1200 which is a little less than the 100 watt Fender tube amp. They have a matching 2x12 for it. I had an old V4 and I didn't really care for it. Plus it was about 90 lbs. These new ones are 41 lbs. I doubt I'll get one since I have the new Fender Super Bassman (which sounds really good by the way).
Freddels

Postby aussiemark » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:39 pm

I owned a V4BH a couple of year ago - awesome SVT-like tone, but with a 410 cab it couldn't keep up at gigs. My 200w Traynor YBA-200 is JUST enough when playing in a band with 2 guitarists.

This reissue does LOOK fabulous though [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
aussiemark

Postby jamie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 am

Like the classic 70s cosmetics.

Wonder if they have changed the circuit from the earlier reish V4BH?

Have a late 1990s 'Merican Made V4BH. Around 40#.

Sounded uninspiring with the stock Sovtek tube complement.

Replaced the 3 tube pre and driver with NOS and Svetlana 6L6s output.

Sounds good for home practice, but pro'lly under-powered for a rock gig.

jaime
Attachments
V4BH.jpg
jamie

Postby Freddels » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

All reports are that it sounds like the original V-4B.
Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 pm

I dig it. I had a vintage V4B that I used as a over driven studio tone. I split my signal with an ABY to each head and ran each head into it's own 410. That stopped when I got lazy and bought a FT bass drive but it sounded kick ass - aggressive gravely growly tone. I also dig the new options on the backend although the cabinet ohm plugs don't seem very intuitive to me. I think the price is not intuitive either. I mean for that price, you're not far off from an actual used SVT. If I was spending that sort of dough, I think I'd hunt down a used Fender Super bassman or an SVT. Of course if I found one for the right price though, I'd pop for it for sure.

Cool sounding amp. I'll be looking out for one in the LMS's to demo. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Just found this review on youtube. Makes ya think twice.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Freddels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm

This guy was pretty much discredited on TB. If you read all the reviews on TB, the only negative is that people want it to be LOUDER. But it's only 100 watts for &#*$sake.
Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Got a link to the TB thread? [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 am

Freddels

Postby Freddels » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Nice. I really liked the SVT vs V4B sound clips. I preferred the V4B in those clips. Still, for the price NIB, I think I'd rather sink that dough into 80 pounds of SVT. Thanks for sharing.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Return to AMPLIFICATION