weird speaker cable question

Rig talk.

weird speaker cable question

Postby jim.i » Sat May 24, 2014 7:18 am

I have a couple old-design small cabs that i really like, they each only have a single 1/4" cable input jack. My amp only has a single speak-on cable input jack. Anyone know if it is [electrically] safe to use a Y-cable: speak-on to amp splitting into two 1/4" cab cables? The cabs are 8ohm each and the amp will do combined 4ohms with both cabs - but i've never seen a speak-on Y cable like this; i can get one built unless this is a bad bad idea [smilie=coz.gif]
jim.i

Re: weird speaker cable question

Postby hoytbasses » Sat May 24, 2014 8:38 am

your cabs don't have in-out jacks? my old 2x10 (which I was thinking of using with the GK) has an in/out... you could run them in series....

in my case, the trusty old 210 I was gong to use with the mb500 head has a blown speaker, so no need.
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby jim.i » Sat May 24, 2014 8:59 am

Nope. Fyi it is the GK 112MBX cab. As you probably know it was designed as an extension cab for the MB150S combo, so only a single 1/4 jack. Amazing how good (to me anyway) this dinky aluminum box 112 sounds. I am using my MB200 amp, sounds just as good as the MB150S but the separates make for 10 pounds lighter, this old fart appreciates that.
Hope you are well Karl, school almost over!
Jim

hoytbasses wrote:your cabs don't have in-out jacks? my old 2x10 (which I was thinking of using with the GK) has an in/out... you could run them in series....

in my case, the trusty old 210 I was gong to use with the mb500 head has a blown speaker, so no need.
jim.i

Postby jim.i » Sat May 24, 2014 9:04 am

I've emailed GK also...
jim.i

Postby nolabass » Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 am

Seems to me it would be fine, but don't take it to the bank. I used Y cables back in the day because cabs didn't have through jacks. Can't see where a Speakon would be different. I too still have some old cabs with 1/4" jacks. As long as ohm load is safe, I'm guessing it'll be OK. [smilie=coz.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Sat May 24, 2014 10:28 am

The ohm load is the only thing I would worry about. I have used the speakon to 1/4" adaptors before with GK gear and had no problems.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby jim.i » Sat May 24, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks Tim. yes i've also used a single speak-on to 1/4 and that is fine, its doubling up the cabs that i want to confirm is ok. I've emailed Jason at GK also.

ghiadub wrote:The ohm load is the only thing I would worry about. I have used the speakon to 1/4" adaptors before with GK gear and had no problems.
jim.i

Postby nolabass » Sat May 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Well it appears the cables are made.

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/SK-MONO-2-63-6

6ft Speakon Compatible Male to 2 x 1/4" Mono Male Cable

Speakon compatible male to 2 x 1/4" mono male
AWG: 16
OD: 6.5mm
Length: 6ft
Pole: 4
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby jim.i » Sat May 31, 2014 9:51 am

GK confirmed that a "Y" cable consisting of Speakon x 2 (parallel) 1/4 male speaker cables is ok (providing amp/speakers ohm load is safe). And thanks everyone for comments.
jim.i

Return to AMPLIFICATION