Shoutout to GK

Rig talk.

Shoutout to GK

Postby jim.i » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:35 pm

I had a concern with my GK combo and i am lucky to be less than an hour away from the factory. I contacted GK and they got back to me and we made an appointment for me to drive down with my amp -- not only did they take care of the prob, but Mr. G introduced himself, asked what was going on, and helped get things resolved.

I'm a nobody, just a hobby player - but i was treated as if i was a big deal bass player (i wish). In this day and age of bullshit anonymous corporate suits setting policy and concerned about nothing but profit, GK was there taking care of little me.

I certainly understand if you don't care for the GK sound, that is of course subjective. But as far as caring about the customer, making quality affordable gear, and listening to and supporting us players regardless of ability or fame, GK sets the bar.
jim.i

Re: Shoutout to GK

Postby GonzoBass » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:49 pm

GK rocks.
[smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

What was the problem with the combo?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm

My fave head is the GK MB500. Clean, quiet, flexible, just the right controls - I love it! It's so nice to hear of a company that still does things right in 2014!
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:31 am

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

It's refreshing to hear about such stellar customer service.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby hoytbasses » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:14 am

this just reinforces my brand loyalty a bit more. I've only played GK since about the late 80's so I'm not likely to change, but this is helpful to know [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby jim.i » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:24 am

My MB150S developed a noisy whine or vibration noise when i played a particular note. I thought about never playing that note but decided it would be better to have GK take care of it, which they did [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Yes indeed, GK rocks!

GonzoBass wrote:GK rocks.
[smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

What was the problem with the combo?
jim.i

Postby ghiadub » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:55 am

I have had the same experience a couple of times.

Once it was the tubes in the fusion had failed - very bad - of course they fixed it for free and with apologies.

The other time was totally my fault, I stepped on the cord going into the front of the MB150 and broke the inner board it connects to and bent the input jack.

Both times, I was treated exactly the same. Drove up there, and they fixed it in about an hour and gave me a tour and I got to talk to Mr G. (thanks Christine)
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:05 am

I've never had a problem with my GK gear, but it's good to know that their customer service is among the best in the industry... [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby 57RIP » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:27 am

Have had a couple of experiences over the years. My original late 70's 400B got melted in a beach bar power surge. They fixed it sent it back. No question no bill. Not even freight... LaSalle music in west Hartford gave me an SVT to use as a loaner. Been a fan ever since. Had a slightly noisy mb200. It was back in 10 days quiet as a church mouse...

No issues with an MB2-500 that is in my lounge/low volume setup.

No issues with my MB-fusion. IMO it's the best GK head yet. The kinder gentler GK. A bit softer in the upper mids, a little more air around the notes. Love it.

I've tried a bunch of other stuff, the GK stuff just works for me.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby hoytbasses » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 pm

add my story to the pile!

one of my neo 112's fritzed out on a gig: working fine.... then crackling... then dead.

I e-mailed them asking for maybe a break on a replacement speaker since the cabinet was out of warrantee............ I got an apologetic e-mail back and they're sending new speakers for BOTH my cabinets. I was so blown away I called the gentleman just to thank him!

I've only used GK stuff since the late 80's so I'm still on the fence with their stuff. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] .. but this seals the deal with customer loyalty for me!

Prior to this I had an input jack break (my fault) and I stupidly ran a 2 ohm load through my MB150s (duh) . Both were fixed locally and all continue to chug on : a 100w head (the one with the chorus) is rocking in Vermont in my grand daughter's band , I still have my 400rb, the MB150s, and the MB500.......

My bet is that these two cabinets will live on long past my gigging years!

Karl 'happy camper' Hoyt
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:09 pm

**SNIFF**

I love a happy ending.

**SNIFF**
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Ya think it has anything to do with the fact that the guy who's name is on the letterhead still owns and works there ? Kudo's to Bob Gallien for not falling behind but also not losing sight of his customers.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Jerry » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:37 am

I sometimes have a back line that makes me wonder why I'm always blowing cash on new gear, tonight I had a GK RB4000 and a GK 4/10 cab, it made me happy! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Return to AMPLIFICATION