Vintage Fender 400PS

Rig talk.

Vintage Fender 400PS

Postby jamie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:18 am

Dadgum tha's a hoss. Fender 400PS with THREE 18" speaker folded horn cabinets! On Da Bay

400PS webpage with plenty of tech info.

The 400PS is a pound lighter than the SVT head. Fender threw in the stand with purchase.

Those cabs are approx 125#.

Last edited by jamie on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jamie

Re: Vintage Fender 400PS

Postby FatherGino » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 am

Trying to determine if it will fit into my Mazda hatchback. Need to still have room for the roadie crew too.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby hmagman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 am

Makes my back pain start just looking at that rig... LOL!
Harry
hmagman

Postby felig » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I've got a 400PS Head that I picked up 5 or so years ago at the Orlando Show--It was only in the last year that I hooked it up to 3 cabinets to get the full power out of the head. It's a weird amp: it was marketed as a 435 watt (tube) head. But to get that power you need to hook up cabinets to each of the 3 145 watt output taps. I don't have a folded horn 18" cabinet that was part of the original package, but one of the 3 cabinets is a 3-15" Kustom tuck & roll cab. It's loud as hell, but heavier than loud--I have it sitting on top of two Trace Elliot cabs: a 15" & a 4-10". It feels a lot heavier than an old SVT head--I almost killed myself hoisting it on top of the cabs.

I also have a 300PS amp that is also mentioned in the same breath as the 400PS, but they are totally different beasts. The 300PS only needs one cab to take advantage of the head's full (300 watt) power output. It's also a bit smaller & maybe even a little lighter than an SVT--but it was still ridiculous sticking it on top of the 400PS--that's when I honestly said to myself, "Here's where I die."

Here's a picture of the 2 heads in my studio for comparison purposes--each represents a separate period in '70s CBS amp design. The 400PS carries the vibe of the end of the silverface period. It seems to be a blend of the Bassman & the Twin Reverb. The Bass channel is identical in layout to the Bass channel of the Blackface & Silverface Bassman; the "Normal" channel has a Bright Switch along with foot switchable Reverb & Trem. The 300 PS is very similar to the 200 watt tube Studio Bass combo of the later '70s including a 5 band "Equalization and Harmonic Balance" section (albeit with different center frequencies), but it differs by adding a Bass/Guitar switch and a Distortion control (switched via the pot rather than a toggle). The Distortion sounds...uhm...shitty.

felig

Postby basswinn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 pm

I played guitar thru a 400 in the early 70's .... one tap into a 4x12 Marshall cab. It was like hauling an extra 2 bassman heads just for the hell of it. Young and dumb. I traded it before I switched to bass so I never had that pleasure.
basswinn

Return to AMPLIFICATION