Good and inexpensive (and light!) combo for jazz/upright?

Rig talk.

Good and inexpensive (and light!) combo for jazz/upright?

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:53 am

Scheming to get a nice, light combo for use with my upright. I figure a decent 1x12 combo will be more than enough volume-wise.

I use a Full Circle pickup on a hybrid Shen SB150. So I guess I need something piezo compatible?

What would you guys recommend?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Good and inexpensive (and light!) combo for jazz/upright

Postby ghiadub » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:13 pm

I really like the GK MB150. I was at a jazz gig last week and heard a guy playing thru a polytone amp that sounded great. I think it had the 15" speaker but the combo was very small.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hoytbasses » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:19 am

I played myEUB (K&K equipped, but I've also had full circle (personal fave upright p/u) through my MB150s...... add a cabinet for bigger gigs if necessary. Easy EQ to adjust on the fly.

Will use it again, once I've made the adjustments I want to make to the EUB.....

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:55 am

Man, that price is too steep for me (new). I may have to wait until I see a good used one locally.

I read a thread over on TB about the new Fender Rumble combos. Anyone here try one?
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:46 am

Still love my GK MB112-
200 watts/28 pounds
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

This thing lives in the trunk of my car
because it does the regular casuals easy,
can fll the medium size stages too
and has an XLR out for larger rooms.

I've never needed the extension cab
but it's an option.

The only thing I'd change if I could?
A pre/master volume instead of just a master volume
but for the price/weight it kicks ass at 200 watts
and has become my basic "go to" amp.

More info here-
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB112-II
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:45 am

I see SWR WM12 amps used in the 200 range pretty often. I used one for upright for many years. Sounds good, and bulletproof. I wouldn't personally recommend any of the small Fender combos for URB....I just don't think they have the balls.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:59 am

Well, you know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to just go ahead and buy a good combo and spend the money.

What's the diff between the MB150S and the MB150E? Is one geared more towards bass and the other geared more towards "other acoustic instruments"?
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jim.i » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:51 pm

The "E" ("enhanced" ?) has built-in chorus and a few more EQ options, but i can't recall what they are. It has been discontinued by GK, probably didn't sell as well as the "S" ("standard" ?). I think the manual was the same for both, with extra sections explaining the E options; if you check GK website>manuals its probably on there since the S model is still in production. I've owned both over the years, to me the basic sound was the same and i liked it a lot. They do make a 112MBX extension cab which is another little aluminum box, still in production.

yep, both models explained in the manual:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf

Mr. Mom wrote:Well, you know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to just go ahead and buy a good combo and spend the money.

What's the diff between the MB150S and the MB150E? Is one geared more towards bass and the other geared more towards "other acoustic instruments"?
jim.i

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks for the clarification! If I go the MB150 route it'll be the "S". Unless I stumble upon an E in good/used condition.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:46 am

A friend of mine is selling his Marbass combo in Chicago.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4789522572.html

I don't know if he would ship but the price is good.
MickeyOne

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:33 am

Went with the new Fishman fancy schmancy preamp to pair with my EV LiveX 112p(s). I really like the EV's and this seems like a good place to start.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby ghiadub » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:28 am

I have issues with stage monitors and the upright (at stage volume). Most 15" monitors give my bass fits of uncontrollable feedback. It's so bad that I have to keep stage volume strictly thru the MB150. At least on my side of the stage.

Hopefully those EV's won't be too bad. Which pre are you using? I use the para acoustic DI, love that sweep.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:07 am

ghiadub wrote:I have issues with stage monitors and the upright (at stage volume). Most 15" monitors give my bass fits of uncontrollable feedback. It's so bad that I have to keep stage volume strictly thru the MB150. At least on my side of the stage.

Hopefully those EV's won't be too bad. Which pre are you using? I use the para acoustic DI, love that sweep.

Right now I'm using a fDeck and an Ampeg rackmount preamp. Sounds pretty good on URB, IMO. Sounds killer with my electrics!!

My powered cab is a 12" and horn. I always use the HPF on the cab. Cuts around 100 hz or so. The HPF on the cab is supposed to be used when paired with a sub. But those cabs are a little too lumpy in the low end anyway. No issues feeding back. Plus it's pole mountable (which is great for URB) and can get LOUD if need be.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:47 am

ghiadub wrote:I have issues with stage monitors and the upright (at stage volume). Most 15" monitors give my bass fits of uncontrollable feedback. It's so bad that I have to keep stage volume strictly thru the MB150. At least on my side of the stage.

That's usually due to the angle that the sound waves strike your front plate. I've never had much luck having my URB in stage monitors. If it was my only choice, i had to turn the bass perpendicular to the monitor's line of fire.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:28 am

Welllll...The Fishman arrived yesterday. Extremely cheap construction. Reminded me of the cheap toys my kids would have when they were younger. Very light, plastic housing. Cheap little switches and knobs. For $250 I expect better and more rugid construction. Gosh....Maybe even a metal housing?? It's not like I'm going to using this a lot or anything. [smilie=tosser.gif]

Real kicker is that it's intermittent right out of the box. Something about flipping a couple of the little switches makes the unit go in/out. Needless to say it's going back.

Back to the drawing board!!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION