Preamp Fun!

Rig talk.

Preamp Fun!

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:56 am

Been having fun with preamps. Both rack and pedal form. Been through a Fodera Model 2000, Ampeg SVP-Pro, BBE BMax, BBE Acoustimax, a Fishman Platinum Pro-EQ Bass Preamp (now discontinued) and the new version of the Fishman (Called a Pro Platinum Analog Preamp? Something like that.) and have a Taurus T-DI preamp pedal on the way.

So far only the discontinued Fishman has stayed. Killer little pre with tons o' features. Sounds terrific. (The new Fishman pre is a POS.) The SVP-Pro is also a killer preamp. Really nice tube tones but not "overdriven" tube tones. The sleeper is the Acoustimax. WOW! that things sounds really, really good. I would have kept it for upright but it didn't have a HPF on it. The Bmax I wasn't impressed with. IMO, YMMV, etc etc.

But, Bruce, you ask....Why the obsession with preamps?? Well....Why not?? And I'm set for amps. If you guys have not tried one then you need to: Get a good, powered PA cab. I got an EV LiveX powered 1x12. Sounds downright terrific. The best amp I've ever used. Period. A little lumpy on the low end but they have a HPF switch I keep engaged and the tone is rock solid. Lots of headroom. Not too heavy or too expensive. It's both great for stage monitoring or for projection into a room.

What're you guys using for "standalone" preamps?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Preamp Fun!

Postby nolabass » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 am

Tried, Demeter, SVT-II, Yamaha PB1, Alembic F1x, Sansamp BDDI. The only ones that stuck were the Sansamp and Alembic. The old Sansamp in particular gets used. I find myself wishing for more Mid EQ flexibility but it works to my liking anyway.

My list is same ol same ol. You have some interesting choices. Glad I have you too try em out [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif] , I can't afford the experiments these days.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:13 am

I have tried the Nordstrand (internal), Agiular (external), Sadowsky (internal), pope (internal), and Fishman Para-coustic (external). The Fishman is a keeper for upright, and really any acoustic instrument. The Agiular is around in the event I don't want to bother with bringing an amp.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Passinwind » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 am

Mr. Mom wrote:What're you guys using for "standalone" preamps?

Mostly my own, of course. Just finishing up #4, based on my DIY 500 watt amp's front end. This one will be 1/2 rack width, two RU high. Mountable in a rack, or eventually stackable with some other DIY modules I have in mind. So: BMT fixed tone controls, one band fully parametric EQ, variable high pass filter, EFX send/return with blend control, and a secondary discrete FET preamp module adaptable for DI duty, effects level matching, maybe passive bass usage (my stuff is normally active-only), and it can sound a bit like a Tubescreamer if desired as well.

In-progress shot, with temporary front panel. Should be able to wrap it up within a couple of weeks. Sounds pretty good already, but if it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

I also just did my own near-clone of the ubiquitous EB/MM 2-band onboard jobbie, albeit with 21st century components:

My ancient Travis Bean gets very rude indeed with this thing living in it. Image
Passinwind

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Passinwind wrote:
Mostly my own, of course. Just finishing up #4, based on my DIY 500 watt amp's front end. This one will be 1/2 rack width, two RU high. Mountable in a rack, or eventually stackable with some other DIY modules I have in mind. So: BMT fixed tone controls, one band fully parametric EQ, variable high pass filter, EFX send/return with blend control, and a secondary discrete FET preamp module adaptable for DI duty, effects level matching, maybe passive bass usage (my stuff is normally active-only), and it can sound a bit like a Tubescreamer if desired as well.

In-progress shot, with temporary front panel. Should be able to wrap it up within a couple of weeks. Sounds pretty good already, but if it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

]

:drool
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby steveonbass » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:32 pm

still my fave - if you can source the variamp, this pre probably costs nothing to make. i threw a Jensen t-former DI in there to cover my ass.

peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Return to AMPLIFICATION