Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Rig talk.

Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:31 am

The wheels are turning in my head.

Light, powerful combo that can handle an extension cab and it good for upright and 'lectric.

Talk to me!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 am

GK rocks all of those qualifications...
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby hmagman » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 am

Walkabout

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harry
hmagman

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:27 am

Hey Gonz, I'm glad you chimed in!

My concern with the GK combos I've tried/read about is their "boominess", for lack of a better word. Do you have any issues with this? And if you do, how do you tame it?
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 am

hmagman wrote:Walkabout

The price! [smilie=icon_eek.gif] I've never heard or played a mesa I didn't like. But I just don't have that kind of scratch right now.

I'm more in line with the GK/Fender Rumble/Carvin-ish price points.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby hmagman » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:
hmagman wrote:Walkabout

The price! [smilie=icon_eek.gif] I've never heard or played a mesa I didn't like. But I just don't have that kind of scratch right now.

I'm more in line with the GK/Fender Rumble/Carvin-ish price points.

GK is superior to Carvin/Fender IMHO...
Harry
hmagman

Postby 57RIP » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:55 pm

image.jpg

MB-500 and a decent small cab.

A few years back, I took the dimensions off a really nice, bare 1x10. I had a buddy who is a pro carpenter and bass player and another fEarful devotee knock off that cab and add a slot for a GK micro. We then built another without the slot. Ai have an easy hundred gigs on that setup... Love it... Lightweight using Deltalite 2510-II drivers. The wedge thingy is actually the rear hatch cover so I can easily get to the rear of the amp for cabling, etc... Top mount dog bone handle on the airhead. Top mount cup and bar on the extension cab.

I've done some festival gig's with just the combo wedged into the front line monitors pointing up and back at me. That works fantastically.

I had a GK mb112 combo for a bit. Pulled the speaker and stuffed the cab. I got it to OK land but never to whoa, dat's nice... It went off to the great Craigslist in the sky....
Last edited by 57RIP on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Nice, Mal! VERY nice! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Maybe with 12" cabs.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:23 pm

The key to this rig was, don't mess with success. The litle MojoSonic 1x10 had a great voice... The driver was a known quantity as it was based on the Eminence Deltalite 2510-2. So there was no guess work. There was you know, the sincerest form of flattery at play. The only 1x12 I've played through that I liked as much was my old Epifani. That one was pre UL- and that sucker was not light, and two of them would be not small...

I have not played through a Mesa WalkAbout combo (or head for that matter). Some folks seem to rave on them... Chef for one if I am not mistaken... I can't think of another combo it woud be the least bit interested in. If an Eden a Metro was you know like 40 lbs... But of course it ain't...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby ghiadub » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 pm

You can hook up a used GK MB150 for a few hun. (the little metal box ones).

I have compared it to the MB combos (210, 112) and the MB150 wins for being the most versatile.

Its not bad for electric bass, and it can run an 8 ohm cab or with the speaker defeated, a 4 ohm cab.

Its got better EQ points than the MB combos, but not as much low push from the cab, which is good for preventing any feedback on the doghouse.

A few here have used the Mb150 by itself with drummers, as have I, but if things get loud, it runs out of headroom. If your drummer keeps things controlled, it might be all you need.

Its hard to beat the GK mb combos for the bread.

here is one on Ebay
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:38 am

I've thought about those little GK MB150's. I'd need the extension cab, though. But would get a lot of use out of the single cab, too.

How about this little stack? I know, I know....it's Carvin. But keep an open mind. Anybody with any experience with these?

Not looking for lotsa low end. I don't believe in it for on-stage monitoring or for using amps on-stage to project into a small/medium room. ("GASP!" from the crowd.) IMO, the low end just mucks things up too much out front. Reviews about the Carvins seem to be good with the negatives opinions being the lack of low end, which is not really an issue for me.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:My concern with the GK combos I've tried/read about is their "boominess", for lack of a better word. Do you have any issues with this? And if you do, how do you tame it?

I get no sub low woof, if that's what you are referring to
but if there's too much low end for you?
EQ
[smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

57RIP wrote:I had a GK mb112 combo for a bit. Pulled the speaker and stuffed the cab. I got it to OK land but never to whoa, dat's nice...

Yeah, the MB112 combo is a little more "basic" as far as the control panel is concerned
but it isn't exactly priced to deliver "whoa, dat's nice" either.
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

No. that's what my MB500/2x10 set up is for.

IE: I wouldn't choose to take this amp if I were hired to do a studio session.

...but it's perfect for five/six night a week of gigging:
It's lightweight and sets up fast,
delivers the "GK tone",
has enough headroom to fill a small to medium room easily,
and includes an XLR out for large rooms.

This is the amp that lives in the trunk of my car
and goes to work night after night (after night) with me.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks, Gonz! I'm going to have to check one of those out locally, if possible. I know they make that powered 1x12 cab, too, which I'd use from time to time. Especially in the summer "outdoor festival" season around here.

Not sure if it'll handle upright duty, but that answer is only a quick internet search away.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jshilgebass » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:32 pm

I have the GK MB112 combo, both version 1 and 2. The older one stays at my church for all of our bassists to thrash...it's still going strong. The newer one stays with me and handles most of my gigging needs. I'm trying to get the cash together to buy the matching powered extension cab to handle bigger gigs. For now, my MB-500 head (or my Genz Benz Shuttle 6) with one (or two) of my 1x12 cabs handles that. Or my 1001RB-II head with a 12 and a 2X10 cab.

I still have my metal-box MB-150, but it is not as powerful as the newer combo, and if I lift both combos to compare the weight, the metal box to me feels heavier.

My point is that the GK combo is light and loud enough for my needs. I do love my GK gear. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby jim.i » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Another GK option: the 112MBX cab (made as extension for the MB150S combo) but with the MB200 amp. About 18 pounds total, and you could even add a second 112MBX cab though you would need a hybrid speakon x 2 - 1/4 male cable to use both cabs. I believe this rig totals less dollars than the MB150 combo. Talk to Erik at RMC if you decide to buy GK...
jim.i

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION